Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:07   #571

Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
"The unit has participated in several international missions including: Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm in Iraq in 1990-1; Somalia I-II in 1992-4 and Somalia III / United Shield in 1995, Kosovo in 1999; Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan in 2001-02; Lebanon in 2006. For the Enduring Freedom, Garibaldi with his group, composed of ship Zeffiro, Aviere and Etna, leaving from Taranto on November 18, 2001, he worked for 3 months in the Indian Ocean, and returned March 18, 2002. The AV-8B have carried out 288 missions for 860 hours. In total, were deployed in the theatre of operations nearly 1.500 men with tasks "Sea Control" and "Maritime Interdiction / Interception"; were also carried out missions "Close Air Support" and "Air Interdiction" on the territory of Afghanistan."

Excuse the English as this is a translation. 288 missions is a little more then not firing a shot LOL

Dave

Ah, Dave,
I was just saying that the ship provided gourmet cuisine & didn't fire a shot during the one engagement that I referenced.

It's kind of a joke in many military circles that the Italians bring the kitchen staff to a theater of operations rather than bringing the infantry.

I was never stationed on that vessel & I certainly don't know it's entire history. Apparently you must be fond of doing research.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:08   #572

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

Likely, reed1v would have raised fewer hackles has the comment been "general rule" rather than "absolute rule of the sea". But, then, the sea doesn't make the rules, it merely indifferently finds the weakest point in our preparations.

By coincidence, we had Italian last night, and I'd just read a review of another Italian restaurant half an hour ago, and just had Italian food leftovers in the past hour -- and they were still very good.

Tags
crew, hurricane