Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 17:20   #511

Boat: PETERSON 44
There were more choices then sail south or stay. Easily could have got north and east. Would have cost time and money. Lesson don't let time and money make a decision. 1 hour is ******** time to discuss a predicted storm. Peer pressure had influence in the crew along with bogus short notice. Not sure how you could be a tall ship mechanic/ engineer and not be aware of this storm. A culmination of bad choices by good people.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 17:50   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Don't forget, tomorrow 05DEC 5PM EST (2200UTC), The Weather Channel will show a documentary on the rescue of the Bounty.
8pm est
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:10   #513

Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Second try at this.........

You think a orange survival outfit with an LED strobe would not be seen by now?
The Ocean is really REALLY big.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:27   #514

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic

The Ocean is really REALLY big.
I am not buying, in an age with satellite technology, a bloated, bobbing, blinking LED orange survival gear, cannot be seen. Every blip on that ocean is pidgin holed by category by any one of fifty agencies on this planet. Remember, it is 2012, not 1912
Old 04-12-2012, 22:32   #515

Quote:
I am not buying, in an age with satellite technology, a bloated, bobbing, blinking LED orange survival gear, cannot be seen. Every blip on that ocean is pidgin holed by category by any one of fifty agencies on this planet. Remember, it is 2012, not 1912
A 6' bag of meat in a 30' wave. Yeah... Good luck with that theory when you're out there. The ocean is R*E*A*L*L*Y big. A 'perfect' 8 mile radar can scan 200 square miles. the Atlantic is 41,080,000 square miles in size.

Radar isn't perfect, and a 6' object 1" high with water rolling over the top is pretty hard to spot in a 10' wave. It's basically like spotting a 2x4.

Boats hit unseen shipping containers, whales, 900' ships. What makes you think a person is so easy to spot?

And don't forget the coast guard had several aircraft looking for three days using the best technology and trained eyes and they knew where he went in.

Have you ever been in a boat on the Ocean? Is this just a troll cuz I'm having a hard time even understanding the premise.
Old 04-12-2012, 22:54   #516

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Things are easy to spot in a lake in Nebraska... they just wait for the water to dry up!

But seriously, Gary, finding a body which may or may not still be in its survival suit and in a stormy sea isn't easy at all, and satellite resources (if they are even applicable which I doubt) perhaps are involved in more serious activities than looking for a dead sailor.

And for whichever poster who said that it was the skippers "duty" to go down with his ship... what a load of crap. His duty, once the abandon ship command is given, is to expedite the crews exodus and then abandon ship himself with the intention of guiding the crew in their efforts to survive.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-12-2012, 23:06   #517

I don't think the sattelite tech even exists. Wave height to within a couple inches, sure. Tracking a foreign navy or even a bunch of pangas with hard radar returns, sure.

But Scanning a body of water and being able to tell the difference between a man and every seal, porpoise, Tuna & sunning swordfish on the planet?
Old 05-12-2012, 05:00   #518
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

And for whichever poster who said that it was the skippers "duty" to go down with his ship... what a load of crap.

Jim
I didn't say it was his duty to go down with the ship. He wasnt seen on deck when they were abandoning ship. Perhaps he decided to not be a survivor. Not because of his duty.

Get my point?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:53   #519

Boat: Amel Santorin 46ft

You can have all the Satalites, Coast Guard SAR Helicopters, Airplanes and Ships out there, but remember the search was over soon after the rescue of the crew. It became a recovery mission after a few hours. Have a look at the RTE news footage of the 100ft yacht Rambler that capsized close to the Fasnet Rock during the 2011 Race. The photos show what the Atlantic looks like on a relatively good day in August. While 16 or so of the crew were standing on the hull, a fellow racing yacht passed within a !/4 of a mile and missed the crew in their lovely red survival gear, all waving frantically. Five of the crew drifted away from the yacht and were lucky to survive after 3 hours in the water. They were found just in time, due to local knowledge and experience and not to pure chance, which would be the case if the body of the Bounty's Captain was ever recovered.
Regards Joe
joemac4sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:37   #520

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I didn't say it was his duty to go down with the ship. He wasnt seen on deck when they were abandoning ship. Perhaps he decided to not be a survivor. Not because of his duty.

Get my point?
It wasn't you Mark...Earlier in the thread someone argued the point, something to the effect that a good Capt. would go down with the ship. Probably watches way too much TV.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 22:52   #521

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:

Get my point?
Nope,it wasn't you, Mark... you know better than that!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18   #522

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
How do we explain the absence of a captain, no body found? His survival gear floats, and so much time has passed, he would have been found by now? Did he get tangled in the ship and pulled under? Did he walk into the ship to go down with her, as his duty?
As pointed out previously, a Captain's duty does not end with the sinking of his ship. He is responsible for the crew until discharged safely on land. That's why he's called "Captain".

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:15   #523

Quote:

Get my point?
I think if you check post #56, you can see who stated that...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-12-2012, 07:24   #524
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I think if you check post #56, you can see who stated that...
I never read posts where they have an inability or lack of respect to capitalize letters, pop in punctuation, and write at a level above a kindergarten dropout.

I think the Captain played a game with that storm and when he lost the "game" may have decided he didn't want to go back and face the consequences.
That's a bit hurtful to say, as its just speculation, but .... I just did.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:31   #525

Quote:
I never read posts where they have an inability or lack of respect to capitalize letters, pop in punctuation, and write at a level above a kindergarten dropout.

I think the Captain played a game with that storm and when he lost the "game" may have decided he didn't want to go back and face the consequences.
That's a bit hurtful to say, as its just speculation, but .... I just did.
Well....you can see in post #57 how I responded to it. I should just learn to bite my tongue, roll my eyes and move on...

Tags
crew, hurricane