Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 07:19   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

the previous articles i saw stated all 17 were saved--now stating 2 missing???

the facebook page is still up.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:23   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: HMS Bounty abandoned in Hurricane Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
I really hope that isn't true, it seems hard to believe.
unfortunately is truth. reports now that 2 crew are missing--but the previous reports were ll 17 were saved...
very very sad day.

never sail to a schedule.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:36   #33

Boat: PT-11
re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
Hmm. Did anyone else notice there was a crew mwember named Christian on board? I sense a mutiny
Really poor taste. Until we know more about why this ship went out into this storm and faced it off Hatteras, it is fair to question this decision. The skipper's wife's statement is all we have at the moment, and it is damning. To those snickering at the conditions, note that this is a notoriously rough location. It is the confluence of two currents amid shoaly waters. It looks like Bounty was far enough out to avoid the shoals but was likely in the Gulf Stream with an opposing wind. Those small-seeming twenty footers were no doubt close together and steep. I think the fact that the boat went down shortly after being abandoned shows that this was a serious situation.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:38   #34

Boat: OEM, proportional

Lol, the directorette is probably not a sailor....."de-watering" is a new entry into my nautical lingo. Sounds more teknikerl than "bailing", I guess. Perhaps "abandon-ship" should now be called "relocate to onboard support vessel". Pity she wasn't aboard, might have been instructive. Now, do we know if the Captain was under pressure from HQ to get cracking or else?
Old 29-10-2012, 07:44   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Lol, the directorette is probably not a sailor....."de-watering" is a new entry into my nautical lingo. Sounds more teknikerl than "bailing", I guess. Perhaps "abandon-ship" should now be called "relocate to onboard support vessel". Pity she wasn't aboard, might have been instructive.
Sorry, "dewatering" is a perfectly normal, technical, nautical term, used correctly here. "Bailing" is not the correct term for pumping water, using dewatering pumps, out of leaking ship.

For example, see this IACS paper called "Dewatering of Forward Spaces of Bulk Carriers. http://www.iacs.org.uk/document/publ...v2_pdf1513.pdf
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:48   #36

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

Ok, I stand corrected.
Old 29-10-2012, 07:54   #37

Boat: C&C 39

Very, very sad. Reports now say that original number of 17crew was incorrect, should be 16. 9+5 were rescued from lifeboats in two separate sorties. But two are still missing, though apparently/hopefully in a lifeboat.

Lets hope they are found quickly. I don't see any reports from major new organizations confirming Bounty has sank. And we still don't know what caused had to "take on water" and apparently in such quantities as to endanger her seaworthiness.
epistosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:54   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Let me get this right. They abandoned the Bounty due to 40 knots (75klms) of wind and 5.5 meter waves? wtf?
The news article said 40 MPH winds which equates to 34.8 knot winds.....really?? Something was seriously wrong and it wasn't high winds because those are not high winds.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 08:01   #39

Boat: Outbound 44

It will be interesting to see the accident report on this event. There's got to be some extenuating circumstances that we just don't know about now. For now, all I can say is WTF were they doing out there?
Old 29-10-2012, 08:03   #40
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The news article said 40 MPH winds which equates to 34.8 knot winds.....really?? Something was seriously wrong and it wasn't high winds because those are not high winds.

Sea state is terrible out there. Winds may not be that high but Sandy has a truly massive fetch. I bet she sprung a butt.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 08:05   #41

Quote:

Yeap, I scoured through some news clips, and all, including AP, report 40mph. Even if they mean nautical miles (that is, knots), it is hard to believe this could be a primary cause of the catastrophe.

And the CBC report that she sank has not been confirmed by any other news org I could find.
Old 29-10-2012, 08:09   #42

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
I heard a report that she lost a prop shaft. It would seem to me that 40 MPH and 18 foot seas would not be a huge problem for a 185 foot long ship, but it may have contributed to their inability to deal with the problem. I guess we'll hear something shortly as most of the crew has been rescued.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 08:13   #43

Here is a another report she sank. And apparently she was taking 2 ft of water an hour and was abandoned when the water level reached 10'. That's some serious leak. Let's pray the two outstanding crew members are found asap.
Old 29-10-2012, 08:14   #44

I just watched the video in post#4 and it seems strange to me that the ship was healing that badly in what didnt seem to be very extream winds. It was almost weird to see no one on deck, but the hatches wide open. It was about 25 years ago that a similar replica square rigger sunk a few hundred miles from where the Bounty went down. It was knocked down and wide open hatches overwhelmed it, causing several deaths. This seems like a strange tragedy.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 08:45   #45

"Sailing into a hurricane to meet a schedule? If that's true, this should be added to a 'worst seamanship ever' category" very true, the bounty was suppose to stay in boothbay harbor till the 30 of october. captain's obviously bad judgement caused him to take the ship into harm's way. duh. we use to have two old wooden banks. no one, but no one would take them out with a hurricane anywhere on this side of the pond. hurricanes can be unpredictable, wooden hulls not refastened every ten years can get sprung, and junior crews who have not a lot of sea time(like 20 plus years continually at sea) can "freak". that said, the bounty, if maintained well, should have survived a mild hurricane. otoh, if they got too close to cape fear or wallowed too long in the gulf stream, then deep, breaking 30 footers could have stressed her mighty.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, hurricane