Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 22:42   #346

Re: Merged Threads: HMS Bounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jeffry View Post
Does the opinion of a previous Captain ('86-'90) of the HMS Bounty, when Ted Turner was owner, count??
huh? the vid was Robin Walbridge, and aired in Aug 2012...
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 22:43   #347

Quote:
Disregard schedules, be prudent, disregard schedules.
I mean from the formal inquiry.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 22:50   #348

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
huh? the vid was Robin Walbridge, and aired in Aug 2012...
Scuttlebutt: From John Rumsey:
I skippered the HMS Bounty for Turner Broadcasting for four years
('86-'90), through the Great Lakes and the coasts of the U.S. and Central
America. When I heard the news regarding the sinking and needed rescue of
the Bounty on Monday, I couldn't believe anyone would dare to take that
ship or any vessel into that storm.
Old 01-11-2012, 23:08   #349

Quote:
Scuttlebutt: From John Rumsey:
I skippered the HMS Bounty for Turner Broadcasting for four years
('86-'90), through the Great Lakes and the coasts of the U.S. and Central
America. When I heard the news regarding the sinking and needed rescue of
the Bounty on Monday, I couldn't believe anyone would dare to take that
ship or any vessel into that storm.
gotcha. And yeah, pretty much sums up my feelings too: 'any' ship into THAT storm.

The Navy set out at 30 knots and GTF outta there!
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 23:59   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
gotcha. And yeah, pretty much sums up my feelings too: 'any' ship into THAT storm.

The Navy set out at 30 knots and GTF outta there!
While I too have been wanting to use the actions of the USN to make the point as it pertains to civilians, I am reluctant to do so. Chiefly, their mission is wholly different. The must maintain a state of readiness which is not found amongst civilians outside of perhaps oil crew boats, tugs, and the like.

Whilst in Hawaii during a tsunami warning, Pearl Harbor was emptied even though the wave was down graded to several inches. I watched this seaward passage again when in San Diego during another tsunami warning. The USN cannot substantiate taking a chance like civilians might. Heck, even the Crowley dredge stayed on position and working.
Old 02-11-2012, 00:29   #351

Boat: 41' Sail

Checking gribs for Nov 8th. ..there's another 'storm' on the horizon for the NE..
Old 02-11-2012, 00:45   #352

Quote:
Checking gribs for Nov 8th. ..there's another 'storm' on the horizon for the NE..
Just in time for the elections too. I have gotten word from several trucking friends of large scale contracts to bring in telephone poles direct from the PNW. An acquantice who works the tunnels in NYC mentioned over 8 million gallons of water in just one tunnel. Cell towers down. Hundreds of thousands (if not millions) still without power. I think infrastructure is being pushed.
Old 02-11-2012, 00:57   #353

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
In some areas, the government needs to bring in relief supplies. I am not big on relying on government handouts, but people are boxed in, and in desperate times, a human is a dangerous animal to let go wild.

Food, fuel, and water are in short supply for millions right now. In a few days, what today is simmering, could be boiling over.

The transformer that blew, if it is a major distribution point, these are not off the shelf parts. This is a made over seas item that has to be ordered in, and that takes many months, as it is made according to specifications. That means power will be deverted from other grid areas, and brownouts could be possible. With elections days away, you do not want to announce electricity for the largest city in the USA is going to act third world energy wise for the next 18 months.

Just like Katrina afflicted areas some years ago, the best medicine for people in the afflicted areas today, may be move away to another region, and start over.

Some people will be hurt by this tragedy while others will make money cleaning up the mess
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16   #354

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I also looked at the video. I've never been in a hurricane, so the idea of "hurricane chasing" is rather foreign to me. My actions, if faced with a hurricane is GTF outta there! Every time. Run like hell and don't stop until you are completely safe.

But then, I'm a coward.

Not that I don't like thrills, I've indulged in many extreme sports, skydiving, canyoning, whitewater rafting some of the most dangerous rivers in the world, rock climbing and just about anything else I can get close to.

But chasing hurricanes in a wooden boat? Sorry. Not for me.

Looking at the path of the Bounty and the course of the storm, It would seem the captain felt he could dodge the storm on the way south. He knew his boat and I don't. Perhaps he might have been correct, but an extraordinary leak took him by surprise.

An "old salt" whom I respect immensely once told me: On a boat, if it can go wrong - it will. And it will at the worst possible time. A good seaman respects that, and prepares.

Perhaps the captain here had forgotten that.............

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:12   #355

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post

An "old salt" whom I respect immensely once told me: On a boat, if it can go wrong - it will. And it will at the worst possible time. A good seaman respects that, and prepares.t.............
Was that a Captain Ron quote?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:14   #356

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

No, just a good buddy of mine, who's got a lot of miles under his keel. He built his own 42 ft Phantom, so he knows it inside out - and things still cock up

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:25   #357

Boat: grampian 26

The search for the missing Captain of the Bounty has been suspended. Once again the sea has claimed one of it's own.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:29   #358

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I find it interesting that many people on the west coast are saying this wasn't being called a hurricane by the forecasters. I was here in it following the developments on both commercial television and the NHC and up until just before it hit NJ they were calling it a hurricane. There was some discussion that as it passed NC that it was transforming into subtropical or hybrid storm. The discussion I heard was that they were reluctant to remove the term hurricane because it would cause the public not to take the storm seriously. The discussion that I heard/saw regarding the hurricane status occured after the Bounty was already in trouble. When the Bounty was in trouble it was still a warm core system and didn't turn into a cold core system until later that day. Clearly this storm was a strange one by any standard, with the majority of the bad weather on the weak side of the storm.

As I said in my first post, the captain was right where he should have been if he was going to weather the storm. He was running with the wind, even if he was in the Gulf Stream, he was on the "weak" side of the storm, and he was in deep water far from the shoals of Cape Hatteras.

What we don't know at this point is if the hurricane had anything to do with the sinking. What we do know is that it complicated the rescue and two people are now gone. The reports early on were that she lost a prop shaft, but since we've not heard from the crew we don't know that. Clearly the water was rising 2 feet per hour and that is not a tenable situation. Once the pumps failed there was no saving the ship. It's possible that if they lost the prop shaft the ship might have sunk in glassy calm water. I suppose the details will come out sooner or later and we can all stop the speculation.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:37   #359
Armchair Bucketeer

If she lost a prop shaft I would have thought that would be an easy fix - certainly in comparison to dealing with sprung planks.

Anyone know whether the Vessel was inspected / licenced (coded?) by the US authorities (USCG?) as a commercial vessel? - and what that actually involved?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:39   #360

Boat: contessa 32

I have been asked by lands people: What do you do in hurricanes? I reply: " One does not
survive hurricanes ".Maybe not wholly accurate,but a damn good rule of thumb.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, hurricane