Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 08:13   #31

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Man Overboard off Puerto Rico -- 7-Hour Swim to Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Has anyone developed some type of self retrieval device? I did a search and found nothing. I would think it would be a rather in demand piece of equipment if such a thing existed. Hanging on a line like fish food would really suck.
sorry for multi posting.
YES. I read about a product test in a French sailing magazine doing exactly that. It was designed so the single hander falling overboard can get back on-board. The tether can be unscratched to reveal 2 (or 3?) tissue loops to put your feet in to climb back up the boat. It was rather cumbersome and you needed really good knowledge how to handle the equipment.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:15   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Man Overboard off Puerto Rico -- 7-Hour Swim to Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Wow.

Finally, although I hope it's never used like this, I am glad I have AIS.
????????
Is that so your Heirs can find the boat.?

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:22   #33

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderJoe View Post
Great effort to keep ones self alive to sail another day!
Isn't there a set up that will allow one to disable the boat and give a person a chance to just climb back on in the chance that you are swept or fall overboard?
If I recall, in the latest mini-transat race. One of the competitors was swept over, and was trailing astern on a tether. He could haul himself to the stern, but not climb in...the boat was still sailing fast. However, being an open stern, he could reach the turnbuckle of the backstay. He released the backstay, the mast came down, the boat slowed, and he climbed in. Sure, he lost the race, but he lived.

On my own boat the stern ladder is held up with a slipping clove hitch with a tail long enough to be reached from the water. I tested it from in the water in calm conditions...a quick pull, the ladder comes down, no problem. I never tested it "at speed", and glad it was never needed.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:37   #34

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Nope. You fall off, you drown.
Afraid it's that simple - rarely are people as lucky as this guy.
Exactly Lizzy. it is what keeps me aboard. I do not use a harness, I keep a good hold of the ship knowing that if I go over the side I am dead.

Many people fear the foredeck, and because of that they are not familiar with it when they need to go on deck. Jacklines are great for tripping you as well. Below the knee lifelines are perfect for putting you over the side.

One hand for the ship works, and keeps you aware.

Michael
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:22   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I would image that a line attached to the tiller and you would stop the boat, of course only good for if you fall off while in the cockpit, and how often does that happen?

Wouldn't be hard to have a proximity device that transmits a very weak signal as long as signal is received autopilot does nothing, lose the signal and autopilot goes hard over, I wouldn't imagine a boat with its rudder turned fully one way or the other is going anywhere very fast.

One of you smart guys build one, I bet it would sell
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:25   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK for the tiller boats, drag 50' of floating line attached to the tiller, you don't have to pull yourself aboard, just hold on long enough so the boat ends up in Irons, and then climb aboard.
Us wheel guys? Good reason to get a tiller I guess
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:26   #37

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

This is exactly why I have a boarding ladder on the transom that fall down via a slip knot and a trailing poly line. In the event I go over board wearing a harness, I might be able to make my way to the back of the boat and climb back up. The problem with a tether is if the vessel is going any faster than 1 knot, it makes it near impossible to overcome the force of the water.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 09:53   #38

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

One lucky man. It is lucky he was an old guy. The sharks below said, "Na, he would be too hard to chew...too tough...too much work." Smile..
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 11:14   #39

Boat: Nauticat 32

If it is impractical to have the jacklines close to the centre of the boat you maybe can not keep the tether short enough. If this is the case, or even if the jacklines are close to the centre line, I recommend having two hooks, and connect yourself to an extra connection point at each working location. That should be simple enough to arrange.

The sailor indicated that the wave took him by surprise. This happens typically when you concentrate on some task and do lot look at the waves but at something else. If you tether yourself to a fixed point while you are working, that would reduce the probability of getting flushed over quite a bit (even if your jacklines would be on the sides).

Two hooks and a jackline that is not a continuous long line but one that is connected to some fixed points at some intermediate points (or having multiple separate lines) would be a good combination too. One of the hooks must be always connected, and at the working points probably both.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 11:30   #40

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Here's a link to a film about the problems on getting back on the boat when one is in the water. OK it's not the greatest film and has some very stupid people doing some very stupid things, but the message is clear. The film has two names depending on what part of the world it was released in.
Old 18-03-2016, 11:33   #41

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
He may just have taken them off after losing his LJ if long trousers.. and used them as a floatation aid for rest stops during his swim and discarded them for the last leg of the swim.
One reason I sail in trousers.. don't wear an LJ and do not use tethers
No life jacket or tether?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 11:47   #42

I like the idea of dragging 50 ft of line both P/S sides or devise a remote turn off for auto pilot that can be attached to your life vest so you can disable the auto pilot bringing the vessel to irons!
The lines need to be attached to main sheet line, but I can't conceive how that would work at this moment as I'm on my third dark and Stormy-Goya ginger beer and Myers sitting now in Naples!
Here's to all who went over and lived to tell about it!
Cheers everyone
TraderJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 13:24   #43

Boat: Seaward 26RK

What about halyard? Can it be used instead of tether? It would allow some freedom of movement and would not allow to fall over the board.
If I do fall over the board then I'd rather be tethered by long line with knots and/or loops that would allow to pull myself up.
facciatosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 13:31   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Man Overboard off Puerto Rico -- 7-Hour Swim to Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
No life jacket or tether?
Never..
But.. like the guy on TV says.. don't try this at home folks..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 13:35   #45

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by facciatosta View Post
What about halyard? Can it be used instead of tether? It would allow some freedom of movement and would not allow to fall over the board.
Interesting idea. If the boat is still upright, you can not be in the sea. The biggest risk might be that there are no limits to how far you can fly and then hit something. It would be good to be connected also to some other place with a secondary tether.

I tend to think that short tethers and short jacklines are better than long ones. The extra work required to connect and disconnect the hooks (when moving around the boat) is maybe a small price to pay for the shorter distance that the waves can move you.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard, Puerto Rico