Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2014, 16:46   #16

Boat: too many
Re: "Maidentrip" Opens in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I guess the only thing left to do now is give a big boat to a 12 year old.

OK, I know that's not really fair, but it does seem to be the trend.
Not quite the trend in her case. Abby yes, but not Laura. She had years of sanding and painting other people's boats to save the money for her Hurley. It was the selling of her beloved 1st Guppy to purchase a 30 year old clapped out Gin Fizz that she and her dad did a refit for the voyage.

Also, she at 12 possessed a level of small boat seamanship that exceeds mine for sure.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 17:11   #17
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Maidentrip was released today on iTunes for rent or purchase, if you want to download and watch.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 17:14   #18

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Maidentrip was released today on iTunes for rent or purchase, if you want to download and watch.
Thanks. I wanted to see this movie, but can't find any place showing the movie
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 17:18   #19

Boat: IP 40

We saw this last year at the South by South West film festival in Austin. My wife and I both loved it, very well done and I really liked that she didn't come across as doing this for any record, but because she wanted to see the world and genuinely enjoys sailing.

It's well worth the rental cost at a bare minimum -IMHO

-EB
ErBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 17:18   #20

Boat: Menger 19' Catboat

Try a film festival.

I was just buying passes for the Annapolis Film Festival today, and I noticed "Maidentrip" is on the bill.
Ukeluthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 21:57   #21

Quote:
Thanks Salty Monkey. Been such a long time since my last itunes purchase I had to reset my password. Watched it tonight, pretty much what I expected. She is a cruising junkie, could care less about fame or fortune, just doesn't like anyone telling her what she can or can't do. Very independent and self confidant.

Funny seeing an old ugly green Sailor VHF radio of about the same vintage I used at the academy. For Laura, if it is cheap and works, it is fine with her. When she first started I had taken notice that at the top of her "Wish list" she wanted an HF SSB radio. I have a Icom IC 730 that I wasn't using and since I didn't have her email address I just posted to her blog that I would send it off to her next port. I would like to think Icom saw that post and shipped her a current model instead of her using a 30 year old Icom. Who knows? Could be Icom was also aware of her Wish list too.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:24   #22

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Watched it tonight (iTunes) and thought it was well done. As others have said she appears to be the real thing.

But I saw this on her webisite:

Quote:
Film MAIDENTRIP

I am not going to say much about the film Maidentrip, but I won't be representing it as I am not fully standing behind it.
Anybody know what this is about?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:21   #23
cruiser

Here's something:

LAURA DEKKER: Dissing Her Own Movie | Sailfeed

I saw it and I have mixed impressions:

Didn't know she had so much imprinting as a kid and sailing experience (racing etc).
Didn't know the boat was a clunker they strung together. Thought she had the latest greatest techno ****.
Enjoyed the sailing tremendously.
Typical teenager - caught that coming of age idealist thing.
Blind to reality - so honey, now you squashed society, how did you buy that leisure boat anyway?
The relationship to the couple she met in Panama was just a bit strange if not weird.
The arch in the film narrative was boring. Nothing really happens.
Loved the animation.
Thought she had better taste in rail meat than that clinker sitting in the cabin at the end. Poor girl.
Good inspiration for others - young and old - to sail wherever they want to go.

Glad I saw it, but I would only give it a 4 out of 10.

EDIT:

Read the article. Seems Laura wants her propaganda and eat it too.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:39   #24

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I bet she doesn't like that the director left in some of the bratty snits and wouldn't remove them when she begged her to. So the director is dead to her.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:49   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I bet she doesn't like that the director left in some of the bratty snits and wouldn't remove them when she begged her to. So the director is dead to her.
Not that bad off. The reporter in the film interviewing her was an AH IMHO.

Its tough for anyone to see themselves in a film. We each have an impression on who we are that doesn't quite match reality, specially when we is young…whenever that was *cough.

She doesn't want publicity and dishes the system, yet she has a publicist and uses the system. Barfulation.

well, welcome to being an adult.

I want a new Jeanneau now! damnint
Old 08-03-2014, 09:16   #26

SaltyMonkey, I wonder how you would have rated it had Laura had more input as to what content was used? From my distant perspective, Laura wants things her way (who doesn't), but would rather have a 3rd party edit and put things together so that her time is freed up to do as she wishes. Your right, she wants it both ways. Since 80% of the film is her own self filming anyways, maybe she should of edited herself and do the voice overs and submit it to a production company. On another note her book has only been released in Dutch and German because she doesn't want to pay to have it translated to English. She didn't mind all the physical labor of refitting Guppy, but she does bore easily with the mundane tasks of film editing and language translation.

When she arrived in NZ I was a bit surprised but supportive when she declared she planned on entering the Maritime Academy to get her Unlimited Tonnage license. She has since been side tracked of this goal, maybe because 4 years of intense schooling wasn't to her liking. I think I see a trend.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:44   #27
cruiser

Gotcha Deckofficer. Editing is a specialized craft though. She's not qualified. She should have at least helped out in the editing process, I think. But she was sidelined in other activities - post journey related.

Books - not much money in it to be worth the time, me thinks. The market is so small.

At her age she is still searching for a life. Maritime Academy? From tank top to epaulettes? HA! She is not even close. She'd lose her mind in two days (from all the yes-sirs).

It's going to be tough for her - pulled between two different worlds. Perhaps she will be a delivery skipper like Tania.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:46   #28

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Bought it and watched it last night. It's a pretty decent film about adventure and sailing, the boat she is on is pretty neat. There are a lot of shots of just her filming herself in the cockpit... but I enjoyed it. Worth a watch.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:38   #29

Quote:
Gotcha Deckofficer. Editing is a specialized craft though. She's not qualified. She should have at least helped out in the editing process, I think. But she was sidelined in other activities - post journey related.

Books - not much money in it to be worth the time, me thinks. The market is so small.

At her age she is still searching for a life. Maritime Academy? From tank top to epaulettes? HA! She is not even close. She'd lose her mind in two days (from all the yes-sirs).

It's going to be tough for her - pulled between two different worlds. Perhaps she will be a delivery skipper like Tania.
She did visit Tania on her farm in Vermont for a while last year. Tania's sons got to sail for a year, 6 months with their dad then 6 months with her. She told me they both now are planning on attending Mass Maritime Academy on the Engineering side. I agree with you that Laura might not be academy material yet.

It has to be a bit tough accomplishing your life long dream at 16 then at 17 trying to figure out "what next?" Can one earn a living racing solo? She does have a competitive streak combined with a 6th sense of being able to push just shy of breaking a boat.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:58   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 30K

Saw it last week. Its excellent. Hopefully it comes out on DVD
Tim_H is offline   Reply With Quote