Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 05:55   #16

re: MacWester 26 and the "hina"ous crew

Phil, PM sent
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 15:05   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Phil, just to say that if you can get her accross the channel to Jersey would be no problem to find you / her a mooring (buckshee ) for a few weeks / months if you want somewhere cheap (and drying) to work on her a bit more. I would even throw in the use of my tools.......

......main downside is that Jersey not the cheapest of places to live (so stock up at Tesco ) and that also goes for spares / parts / etc etc.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 15:16   #18
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Okay, Phil, I wanna be your crew on this one too!!! You get all the fun!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 15:18   #19

Haha looks like whoever takes her will have a full compliment of staff on hand wherever she travels!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 03-05-2011, 15:22   #20
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Awww, and there I was 2 years back just looking out for something like this.

If I had some money left over from my project I would be sorely tempted cos ive got loads of room to store it
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
Haha looks like whoever takes her will have a full compliment of staff on hand wherever she travels!
To be fair, I think you get first refusal on this one!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 00:40   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate re: MacWester 26 and the "hina"ous crew

I've passed on this one...
don't think she'd be up to the Biscay without some major work... and I'm not really into doing that in a boat I'm guaranteed to hit weather in on the crossing... not without a secure cockpit... been caught to many times there in the past with leaky boats...
Two bitsa ply running across the hole for somewhere to sit is not quite seaworthy enough... at least for me..
Thanks for the mooring offer DOJ.... maybe next time...lol
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 00:45   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
don't think she'd be up to the Biscay without some major work... and I'm not really into doing that in a boat I'm guaranteed to hit weather in on the crossing... not without a secure cockpit... been caught to many times there in the past with leaky boats...
Two bitsa ply running across the hole for somewhere to sit is not quite seaworthy enough... at least for me..
Not seaworthy enough for you with two bitsa ply as a seat? - methinks yer getting soft in your dotage
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 00:46   #23

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

I must resist by quoting my new mantra

Boats are money pits
Boats are money pits
Boats are money pits

Etc etc etc etc
Old 04-05-2011, 00:53   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not seaworthy enough for you with two bitsa ply as a seat? - methinks yer getting soft in your dotage
Yeah... I reckon...
Gonna have to pack in the 'Chest Beating' as well....
Smokers Cough is getting too bad these days.... I blame all those cars on the bypass upwind...
Old 04-05-2011, 01:16   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I really do appreciate your offer, but you know what its like when a woman makes up her mind!

The mooring would be £50 a week which I believe is within my budget but the added cost of the engine, transport up north and then the paint job has made her decide it wouldnt be a 5 minute job and thinks it would take me 2 or 3 years and she would rather I save the money and buy a more "ready to move onboard" boat in 2 or 3 years
Whilst I know you will be disappointed having to give up this free yacht, the reality is that you couldn't live aboard a 26 ft yacht with GF and the little one, its just too small. Also if you have just graduated you need to build up some funds in an ISA first. However, don't worry because there are lots of little yachts about that are always coming on to the market the right yacht will be around for you in a couple of years time.

Which leads me nicely onto this one at £9500 . Do you want a yacht btw or how about a motorboat? Do not even consider this if you do not have a passion for engineering, these things are built like steam engines and need the oily rag treatment - think Fred Dibnah

Watson 47 Ex Lifeboat

However, lots of space mostly taken up with the engine room but interesting none the less. I have crewed on one of these aroundthe Irish Sea and they seem to go through anything.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watson.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	26937  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Whilst I know you will be disappointed having to give up this free yacht, the reality is that you couldn't live aboard a 26 ft yacht with GF and the little one, its just too small. Also if you have just graduated you need to build up some funds in an ISA first. However, don't worry because there are lots of little yachts about that are always coming on to the market the right yacht will be around for you in a couple of years time.
I have been saving up in my ISA for a while now but still would like to add a few pennies from my newly soon-to-be-found graduate job that pays me a fortune for sitting on my arse lol

26 foot was about the right size for us to gain more experience but wouldnt have been doing any long distance cruising on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Which leads me nicely onto this one at £9500 . Do you want a yacht btw or how about a motorboat? Do not even consider this if you do not have a passion for engineering
We are looking for a yacht, some motorboats look beautiful but you always have that one cost you cant afford or do without...........fuel! At least on a yacht, you can sail for free (at times lol)

And I have about as much passion for engineering as a sailor does for scrubbing the bottom lol

Good sales pitch though, I liked the way you seemlessly transferred the conversation onto the Watson! you should be a salesman lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
Its a shame, went shopping for my swimming trunks and sun cream yesterday lol
Old 04-05-2011, 02:27   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Right then, a plan of action, avoid the Watson at all costs

Work hard and save up during the summer.

Keep a sharp eye on e bay from October onwards when the bargins start to appear.

A Seawolf or Cobra might suit you, available in fin or bilge at sensible prices, but choose something pretty, you need to sell the idea to the GF.

Cobra Yachts for Sale 750 850 Boats for Sale Cobra 700, 750, 850,900, 1050, seawolf 26, 30, 43,boat wanted

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:20   #28

Wow, I think she may actually like the Cobra 850! We haven't actually seen the Cobra before

I am currently working 2 jobs but that will change when/if I find my first graduate position. But money is being placed into both an ISA and my high interest account.

I really do appreciate all your help and advice Pete, she is tougher to sell to then a salesman!
Old 04-05-2011, 04:46   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Its a shame, went shopping for my swimming trunks and sun cream yesterday lol
Yeah... I'm disappointed as well... but Steves description of what had been done with the cockpit was to much... just the floor I could have dealt with but it sounded like there was nothing left... if they did that just to get an engine out...
What else did they do....lol
Old 04-05-2011, 04:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yeah... I'm disappointed as well... but Steves description of what had been done with the cockpit was to much... just the floor I could have dealt with but it sounded like there was nothing left... if they did that just to get an engine out...
What else did they do....lol
And your supposed to be the expert! lol

Tags
crew