Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 00:27   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
mayan civilization only ended because catholicism was unable to live with any other religion around--HAD to kill or convert everyone. wasnt fault of mayans they were in the path of progress...as it were
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 00:31   #17

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
No, the Mayan civilization ended well before Columbus, let alone European exploration of the Yucatan.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 01:24   #18

Mark,I think you should check your history. The Mayan culture as well as most American cultures were destroyed by the european invasion, some by attacks but mostly by disease(small pox etc) The lunar eclipse was great in Ft. Lauderdale.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 04:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mayan civilization only ended because catholicism was unable to live with any other religion around--HAD to kill or convert everyone. wasnt fault of mayans they were in the path of progress...as it were
There were three periods of Mayan history, the Pre-Classic 300BC-250AD, Classic Period 250AD-900AD, and the Post Classic after 900AD.
The Mayan Civilization started to collapse during the Classic period, between about 750 AD. And 900 AD.
The Spanish conquistadors, and their subsequent colonization, only killed off the remnants of the Mayan civilization.

Here's one theory:
Climate Change Killed off Maya Civilization, Study Says
Climate Change Killed off Maya Civilization, Study Says

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 04:47   #20

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Maybe the Mayans realized how civilization was a bad idea and left the cities on their own accord.

The eclipse was beautiful from the Keys.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 05:08   #21

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
We are still on dirt in North Carolina. Ran out in the yard for about a minute to look this morning then got back to bed. It was 2 a.m. so just saw about a 1/4 shadow...didn't get up again for the orange/red phase. Did anyone get to see it looking orangy-red towards the end of the eclipse?
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 05:20   #22

Boat: Samson C Ranger - "Tin Cup" & Samson C-Farer - "Sam McGee"
We went out in the front yard and saw it around the total eclipse. The moon was definately a reddish orange. The stars were magnificent.
smallyachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 06:19   #23

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Set the alarm to go out and see it, but being in the 2nd day of 55kts, and hail, wasn't much to see. 2 more days of this weather forecast for Bermuda.
Old 21-12-2010, 07:18   #24

I totally envy you guys on your boats or landlocked but in warmer climates, anyway I was outside last night watching the eclipse, all the foxes and wolves were howling like crazy but when the moon started to disappear they went silent.

Had an unusually clear night with very thin wisps of clouds but the moon was fully out in the clear, a bit cold at 2F below up here in Wasilla, Alaska.

It was weird watching all the snow around me turn orange. Or more like a burnt orange almost brown color.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 07:48   #25

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Brrrr, Silverado....We are having an exceptionally cold start to winter here in the Southern US but not 2F cold...Now I feel like a real pansy in that we ran out in 25 degree or so weather and just stood long enough to say, yup, thats an eclipse...wished I had listened for our foxes howling...we have a lot of those. Very cool in regards to the snow...kind of hard to believe!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 08:31   #26

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
[/IMG]

not an award winning foto but more of a record of the occasion.
Old 22-12-2010, 04:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Brrrr, Silverado....We are having an exceptionally cold start to winter here in the Southern US but not 2F cold...Now I feel like a real pansy in that we ran out in 25 degree or so weather and just stood long enough to say, yup, thats an eclipse...wished I had listened for our foxes howling...we have a lot of those. Very cool in regards to the snow...kind of hard to believe!

I have been out at night hunting many times in -20F temps or so, I love the absolute cloud free moonless night, nothing but the dry scrunscrunch sounds you make walking through the extremely dry snow.

The sky is ablaze with stars in clarity so sought after in many places but more so its so clear up here because of the lack of air and even light pollution from the cities.

And then you hve the northern lights moving and rippling across the sky and changing colors from blues to green, and to a small extent it too reflects on the snow. On the full moon nights once your eyes get used to it you can see quite well.

Oh and btw its about 3:19am here and its -18F outside right now.
Old 22-12-2010, 04:53   #28

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado6x6 View Post
I have been out at night hunting many times in -20F tem

Oh and btw its about 3:19am here and its -18F outside right now.
Man. Anything below 70f gets me chilled now a days.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 05:28   #29

I went to Orlando in 2004 and rented a vacation home for the whole month of january, hey they are pretty cheap compared to a motel. Anyway on the coldest day at Universal Studios all the S. American tourists were in down filled jackets, caps and gloves, my whole family was wearing just cotton and shortsleaves, it was only 45F. Thats a decently cool day but doesn't bother us at all.

And then we went to Blizzard beach a Disney waterpark, high temp of the day was about 65F, the place was nearly deserted and again we had a blast!

But then when I was at Epcot on an earlier visit back in december of 2001 and it was around 75 it made me sick, I had to literally hide out at this one place there that had this ice mock up room, made me totally at home.

And the weirdest thing we ever saw was a show at Sea World about the Antarctic I think, they had this one room all set up with cold weather gear, shelves of stuff you keep for equipment like synthetic oil, Carhart clothes, mickey mouse boots (I absolutely hate those! They are military double thick cold weather boots) and basically it was identical to our pantry up here in Alaska. Really weird and kind of sobering that what we have acclimated ourselves to most people think of as inhumanly inhospitable.

But there are caveats with living in an Arctic climate most of the year, most everybody up here is white rednecks and non conformists, survivors that hate being in close contact in an urban environment, yes we a city or two and yes they are more diverse in ethnic differences, I don't count the natives, they are more white than Indian or Asiatic, heck my grandaughter is half native. I think her dad is Inipuit a he lives down on the Aleutians.
Old 24-12-2010, 16:24   #30

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Fabulous sight. Managed to watch it from start to finish en route from Long Island down to BVI. Last one I saw, I was lucky enough to be anchored off Anegada drinking rum...oh well...
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote