Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2012, 10:52   #451

Boat: too many
Re: Laura Dekker's Circumnavigation

Talk about minds being in the gutter. She is a very accomplished sailor, with a skill set far exceeding that of Jessica or Abby. If I choose to try and keep her in the limelight prior to her book coming out, it is because I wish her some financial success to go along with her determination in fighting her government for over a year.

Dave and Mark, I have till now, always respected your posts, but this is a cheap shot. I will however keep this thread alive for some time after she publishes her book. She and I have corresponded, and I can assure you, she is a sailor's sailor, and loves the cruising lifestyle.

Yes, I am a very big fan (which is short for fanatic) of Laura, as she did what I only dreamed of doing at her age after reading "Dove" by Robin Graham, and he didn't have to deal with all the roadblocks of his government being against him. The best I could do was many years later, graduating 3rd in my class from the California Maritime Academy to be able to turn a passion into a job. Only regrets is I didn't solo circumnavigate as a teenager.

As for me, put yourself in my shoes for a minute. I have gone from a very active life that included 100,000's nm in a short time frame, to, for the last 3 years being almost a shut-in, caring for my 93 year old dad. The adventures of Laura is a pleasant reminder of what I have put on hold for awhile.

And Piglet, well I've never seen any of your posts, so just don't know you.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 11:31   #452

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I really don't see anything wrong with following Laura's progress. I followed it quite faithfully during her circumnavigation, and since she has chose to keep her blog going with details of her current voyage and post pictures thereof, I don't see her as trying to avoid the public view. It is fun every couple of days or so to drop in and take a look at her blog.
Old 30-05-2012, 11:47   #453

Boat: nothing
I did not intend to offend anyone. I happen to think that photos of a 16 year old in what basically amounts to a wet t-shirt, paired with comments of "if only I was only 40 years younger" a little creepy. Maybe it's my prudish upbringing, or the fact that I have daughters just a little younger Laura. Anywho, not judging anyone here, just throwing out what I was thinking.
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 11:53   #454

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Ya what the heck you guys....!!!???!!! I think it is way cool that this young lady has this much gumption and guts as well as skill...she is a smart little cutey too...apparently healthy and way fit...and I get a kick out of reading about her adventures, both past and present and the crazy antics of all the kids now involved in this adventure...all this really came to my attention when we(CF)had that crazy thread from one of the kids..the one who evidently landed on the BajaBeagle w/Margo Roarke....from then on it has been fun to keep an eye on the progress from time to time and who is on the boat and who is off the boat...what fun and how wonderful that they can do it...and do it so well..its better than any reality TV show out there...Kuddos to Laura and Crew...
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 12:10   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
Ya what the heck you guys....!!!???!!! I think it is way cool that this young lady has this much gumption and guts as well as skill...she is a smart little cutey too...apparently healthy and way fit...and I get a kick out of reading about her adventures, both past and present and the crazy antics of all the kids now involved in this adventure...all this really came to my attention when we(CF)had that crazy thread from one of the kids..the one who evidently landed on the BajaBeagle w/Margo Roarke....from then on it has been fun to keep an eye on the progress from time to time and who is on the boat and who is off the boat...what fun and how wonderful that they can do it...and do it so well..its better than any reality TV show out there...Kuddos to Laura and Crew...
agree, its called vicarious living. much like reading a novel or watching a reality show. nothing abnormal about that. would guess that a lot of readers daydream of what they would do in her situation, past and current. that is human nature. those that get uptight about this need to get counseling or examine their own hangups. but maybe there are a lot of distraught readers viewing this website? gnashing of teeth might help. or just go down to their local mosque and pray to change the world.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 12:16   #456

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I believe it is all available on her blog.

LauraDekker.nl de Jongste solozeiler ter wereld!
No. This is the source:

Solozeilster Laura Dekker Hyve - hyves.nl
Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 13:27   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
The above gentlemen, is how a mentally healthy person views the continuing saga of Laura. I used to be more active here on CF because the ratio of snipers vs regular folk is small compared to most forums, but after becoming active on the 105 member SSSSM group, where everyone is honest about themselves, opens up for all, because in that group we are not hiding behind our keyboards but rather have every intention of meeting up some time in the future. I do get razed by being a fan of Laura there by one person, but that one person is entitled to give me a hard time. It is Margo, and as susanna above pointed out, was the care giver to Bas when Laura booted him from her boat.
Old 30-05-2012, 13:36   #458

Boat: nothing
I'm not a sniper. I also never claimed to be mentally healthy.
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 14:01   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The above gentlemen, is how a mentally healthy person views the continuing saga of Laura. I used to be more active here on CF because the ratio of snipers vs regular folk is small compared to most forums, but after becoming active on the 105 member SSSSM group, where everyone is honest about themselves, opens up for all, because in that group we are not hiding behind our keyboards but rather have every intention of meeting up some time in the future. I do get razed by being a fan of Laura there by one person, but that one person is entitled to give me a hard time. It is Margo, and as susanna above pointed out, was the care giver to Bas when Laura booted him from her boat.
i give up. what is an ssssm group?? single sadistically scary s&m group???
never heard of everyone being honest about themselves on the internet except my grandkids and i told them to stop that asap. of course honesty comes in different flavors.
Old 30-05-2012, 14:10   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
i give up. what is an ssssm group?? single sadistically scary s&m group???
never heard of everyone being honest about themselves on the internet except my grandkids and i told them to stop that asap. of course honesty comes in different flavors.
Single solo sailors seeking soulmates. I fit the first 3, and if the last happens, that would be good. Zeehag combs the cruising forums and quietly invites folks that fit the group. A bit of CF action on the group here.....http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eux-62608.html
Old 30-05-2012, 14:27   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Single solo sailors seeking soulmates. I fit the first 3, and if the last happens, that would be good. Zeehag combs the cruising forums and quietly invites folks that fit the group. A bit of CF action on the group here.....http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eux-62608.html

sounds creepy enough. "seeking soulmates" is real 60s. guess you have had to be there. anyhow thanks. btw: you tend to find a "soulmate" when your not seeking such. most of us tend to find our mates by just bumping into them. the best kind of falling in love is when its uncalculated.
Old 30-05-2012, 14:56   #462

I didn't put together the name or the group, and as I stated, I only fit the first 3, i.e. Single Solo Sailor, but the group does not discriminate for not seeking. Since it is a FaceBook group, all FB history is already there for all to see and using our real names is a welcome thing IMHO. With only a 100 active members, we all know each other much better than we would on CF, and most are here also, but more guarded for the same reason that goboatingnow, colemj, Piglet and others like to take pot shots at people. I have nothing but praise for CF and the members here, but lets face it, in any large group you have a few that either want to argue, attack, or just disrespect other posters, and that I have little tolerance. I enjoy small social settings of like minded folks, allows me to let my guard down, allowing others to know me better. I was on CF for over a year before I came out of the closet and admitted having my Unlimited Tonnage license for just the reason of having someone say "well, what are you doing here?" It wasn't till rebel heart started showing pictures of his paying passengers, some very attractive young ladies, that I decided to share pictures of my knuckle dragging crew. From that point on, I no longer hid my profession. It was a fun thread, if interested, here.... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ain-76308.html
Old 30-05-2012, 14:59   #463

Boat: In between boats

So I'm a little late to the party...... and just jumped off Wikipedia to refresh my memory because I was confusing her with the other teen who did similar journeys. This is the girl, who's government got into her business and prevented her from setting off when she wanted to.

I remember the commotion a couple of years ago. I'm glad she is still sailing and keeping up with her dream despite the challenges she had to face early on. I remember when she snuck out of her country to try to begin her first voyage and I was cheering her tenacity all the way through.

Cheers to her and her crew (once their old enough to drink...lol.)
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 15:09   #464

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I was 16 once, believe it or not, and I would have loved to have done all that Laura has in her circumnavigation and now her further adventures. I vaguely recall some fantasies along those lines, but--sigh--my father probably was correct in keeping a somewhat tight rein on his youngest daughter. For me it makes it all the more fun to watch Laura's progress.
Old 30-05-2012, 15:29   #465

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
sounds creepy enough. "seeking soulmates" is real 60s. guess you have had to be there. a.......
I think the saying goes something like if you remember the '60's, you weren't really there.

Now, where did I put that tie-died shirt?

Tags
circumnavigation