Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 05:40   #571

Re: Laura Dekker's Circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
7-9-12
“... I've mainly been busy sorting out things like getting my driver's license and doing media requests ...”
LauraDekker.nl de Jongste solozeiler ter wereld! -
She means that she was busy with preparations to get her license; she did not say that she already has it. It's impossible to learn how to drive a car in less than one week.
Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:17   #572

Boat: too many

Hammond,

"I've mainly been busy sorting out things like getting my driver's license and doing media requests."

I'm not going to waste time digging through her blog but remember her driving a fellow cruiser's car that he left in her care while he had business to attend to off island. From what I remember, she watched how he let the clutch out and shifted gears on the day of his departure, and figured she could do that. I learned to drive a stick in a couple of hours, I don't see why someone as adaptable as Laura couldn't do the same. It might have taken you a week though.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:38   #573

Bob, Laura did NOT write that she drove the car herself. I remember that blog very well (Tahiti June 11, 2011).

"From what I remember, she watched how he let the clutch out and shifted gears on the day of his departure, and figured she could do that."

Then you remember it wrong. Please reread her blog.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:01   #574

Since you gave me a date, made it easier. I was wrong (I know you enjoy hearing me admit that) about her saying she watched how he shifted, but it does appear from her writing that she and another girl were using the car in the owner's absence. She blogged......

11-6-2011
After two days spent running around I moved to a slower pace, and now I have to do all of the everyday things that need to be done... After first refilling the wreck-car with cooling water, I went shopping in Papeete city and then over to the immigration office to clear customs. That is always a mission in and by itself. Mainly because they want you to answer the most mind boggling questions all the time... They ask you for example about the exact date and time of your departure, about where you will go to and when you will leave again, and where exactly you are planning to go to next! If I only knew for sure... Guppy goes where the wind blows, and I go along when I feel like going and not because it is decided on a piece of paper... Anyway, my papers are now full of big-fat rubber stamps...and so I will probably be leaving sometime between Sunday and Tuesday, heading for Moorea island. So after my time in the buzzing city, where they have the same parking problems as in the Netherlands, I was happy to be back on Guppy and a refreshing dive in the water. I think I will have a quiet evening with Guppy and enjoy one of the many movies we are sharing between sailors.

Laura
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I was wrong (I know you enjoy hearing me admit that)
Bob, I know you're a good fan of Laura - just like me!

Indeed, the owner lent them his car for a couple of days.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35   #576

I am curious as to your connection with Laura. I have no connection, as you said, I'm just a fan of hers. A colleague from the Merchant Marine first told me about her as "the real deal" when it comes to seamanship. Luc later testified on her behalf in court, as he is Dutch also. When during her voyage she announced at the top of her wish list was a HF SSB radio, I told her via her guest page I would loan her my Icom IC-730, just needed to know where to ship it. Before I could ship it, Icom sent her a new radio. This is pure speculation on my part, but my model Icom is a 30 year old radio and if Icom got wind of someone with Laura's status was going to be using such an out dated model of theirs, then it would behoove them to get to her a current model. To date I have received only one email from her, hoping that I had some pull on this forum to get Bas's posts pulled.

So Hammond, I basically have zero connection with Laura, but for some reason I think you might. Any chance you will take the time to share your connection with her here?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21   #577

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I think learning to drive is easy and can be done in a few hours--learning to drive safely takes a longer time.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:36   #578

I agree Astrid. Learning to drive for someone like you, Laura, or myself, would take a couple of hours before we could pass most country's driving tests.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:50   #579

This is probably the best interview Laura has given the media. Makes a big difference when you already have a fondness for the location you are at, and the media is interested in you and why you want NZ to be your home instead of the same old 20 questions about your voyage. I couldn't help notice a genuine enjoyment on Laura's part during this interview vs the quiet disdain that she has when media types that don't have a clue about sailing are peppering her with questions.

Her attitude is she loves NZ and its people and it shows. The crew of Camper might of had something to do with these feelings along with her being born there and now eating at the same places her folks ate at and meeting the mid wife that helped deliver her.

TVNZ | Television New Zealand | News, Sport, Weather, TV ONE, TV2 | TVNZ | Breaking & Daily News, Sport & Weather | TV ONE, TV2 | TVNZ
Old 11-09-2012, 18:53   #580

I don't blame her for getting tired of reporters all the time. We all love sailing & the lifestyle because it''s peaceful and away from it all. And maybe the press is a bit more laid back now that the trip is over and even more so in New Zealand. She can enjoy the interest there. I hope it is the start of a great life there-without being in the spotlight so much.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:56   #581

"Marieke de Vries wrote:

5/09/2012 1:40:55 a.m.

Living in the Netherlands, Laura Dekker's background is rather well known to us. Her parents got divorced when she was very young, the father has more or less permanently lived on public assistance for the last fifteen years and Laura grew up in poverty. Laura's voyage should have created revenue to pay off the debts the family incurred, but since nearly all contracts the family signed with media and sponsors were broken, the plan did not work out. Now Laura, at the age of sixteen, finds herself at the other end of the world, without any plans or income, no school qualifications, nothing whatsoever. The family has created a myth that she was born on a boat in New Zealand waters, spent her childhood in New Zealand and has always wanted to return. Fact is that she was born in a hospital in Whangarei, and the parents (who came to NZ as tourists) tried to apply for residency on the grounds that they were entitled to stay since they needed to look after the child (who was NZ by birth). The ploy did not work out, and they were expelled when they overstayed their visa. All in all, Laura has spent less than three months on NZ soil.

This girl is to be pitied with the kind of parents she has.

Now she is back, apparently. I wonder if she will invite her parents for family reunification.
"

Source:
Laura Dekker sails into NZ - 3 Sport - Video - 3 News
Old 12-09-2012, 09:40   #582

I don't pity Laura, instead have nothing but admiration for her. If her dad is a boat bum, he is in good company on this forum. To raise a child who has such self confidence should be what Dick is judged on, not the lack of material possessions. If given a free reign, a person like Laura will always land on their feet. I've had some correspondence with Laura's former agent, he had nothing negative to say about her family, and only positive comments about Laura. She is in a position to guide her own life now and I have no doubt she will do a fine job as for what works for her and what makes her happy. I hope she goes through the paperwork of gaining an emancipated minor status for herself so that she is able to conduct business on her own behalf. By publishing her book in NZ, she will save quite a bit in income taxes over what she would of had to pay in the Netherlands. I hope she gets it published before the Christmas buying season.

Dick did a great job raising Laura, and she will do just fine in any endeavor she sets that headstrong mind of hers to doing.

Hammond, as a Dutch citizen you were also privy to all the local negative press during the trial, and now that Laura has turned her back on the Netherlands you might be feeling betrayed.

This long article by Geoff Cummings tells the story, warts and all. I've known of the wrist slashing during her darkest time fighting for her dream but didn't want that to over shadow her tough, fight on, attitude. Hammond, take the time to read it and you will learn something about Laura that the Dutch news filters would have never let see the light of day. She finally feels comfortable with media, but that has only been the case since arriving in NZ.
Laura Dekker's quest for independence - National - NZ Herald News
Old 12-09-2012, 15:37   #583

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
. . .the father has more or less permanently lived on public assistance for the last fifteen years and Laura grew up in poverty. . . . Now Laura, at the age of sixteen, finds herself at the other end of the world, without any plans or income, no school qualifications, nothing whatsoever.
It sounds not unlike Abraham Lincoln at about that age, if you count his move from Kentucky to Illinois (which in those days might just as well have been at the other end of the world). If Laura can tackle life with the same determination and vigor that she showed in her circumnavigation, then I think she has the potential to do well in her future and, like Lincoln, overcome her childhood circumstances and such deficits as she has in her education,
Old 12-09-2012, 16:18   #584

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
It sounds not unlike Abraham Lincoln at about that age, if you count his move from Kentucky to Illinois (which in those days might just as well have been at the other end of the world). If Laura can tackle life with the same determination and vigor that she showed in her circumnavigation, then I think she has the potential to do well in her future and, like Lincoln, overcome her childhood circumstances and such deficits as she has in her education,
What will be interesting to see is if she views anything looking forward as anti-climatic.

With such huge successes so early, what is next? We just had the discussion of Robin Lee Graham, and the disconnect he felt after he completed his journey, even though he had the support of his wife.

Laura seems exceedingly well grounded, however, that does not mean she can't use some guidance going forward. My only fear is that being so independent, and having achieved so much already, that she will not listen to guidance offered.

She is a very accomplished teenager; will she become an accomplished adult?
Old 12-09-2012, 16:32   #585

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

She is a very accomplished teenager; will she become an accomplished adult?
My vote, yes.

Tags
circumnavigation