Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 13:50   #511

Boat: too many
Re: Laura Dekker's Circumnavigation

How much time did she live in a house on land?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 15:21   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
How much time did she live in a house on land?
See Laura's book on page 15.
Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 15:39   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
See Laura's book on page 15.
I've got an idea, how about you just sharing what you know from the book here? Forums are a good place for history to reside, that is why I'm always against a thread being deleted. The roaming bots pick all this text up, and when someone googles "Did Laura Dekker ever live on land during her young life", guess what, by the magic of the bots, links will show up in your search directing you to sites that have your answer.

So Hammond, I'm guessing you are Dutch, and if true you have been privy to local media and news pertaining to Laura for quite awhile. How about sharing what you know, I and others that follow this thread look forward to your input.
Old 02-06-2012, 15:41   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes
think Laura triggers a kean interest on some oddly personal level because for almost every member on here we can remember our own teen dreams of some great adventure, almost always deferred. She touches something that was nestled very deeply in our 16 year old heads that never completely disappears.
It sure does that for me! I would love to be heading for the Marquesas Islands right now. So for now, I follow this thread and imagine I am out there too.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:02   #515

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Atta girl,she has more balls than I ever had at her age,at last I am building a boat to do what she has done and if I only achieve a tiny bit of what this young lass has done on the briny I will be proud to say she was one of my inspirations,we need more young people like her and less nanny.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:12   #516

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Talk about minds being in the gutter. She is a very accomplished sailor, with a skill set far exceeding that of Jessica or Abby. If I choose to try and keep her in the limelight prior to her book coming out, it is because I wish her some financial success to go along with her determination in fighting her government for over a year.

Dave and Mark, I have till now, always respected your posts, but this is a cheap shot. I will however keep this thread alive for some time after she publishes her book. She and I have corresponded, and I can assure you, she is a sailor's sailor, and loves the cruising lifestyle.

Yes, I am a very big fan (which is short for fanatic) of Laura, as she did what I only dreamed of doing at her age after reading "Dove" by Robin Graham, and he didn't have to deal with all the roadblocks of his government being against him. The best I could do was many years later, graduating 3rd in my class from the California Maritime Academy to be able to turn a passion into a job. Only regrets is I didn't solo circumnavigate as a teenager.

As for me, put yourself in my shoes for a minute. I have gone from a very active life that included 100,000's nm in a short time frame, to, for the last 3 years being almost a shut-in, caring for my 93 year old dad. The adventures of Laura is a pleasant reminder of what I have put on hold for awhile.

And Piglet, well I've never seen any of your posts, so just don't know you.
A skill set far exceeding Jessica? Can you qualify that statement?

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:25   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
A skill set far exceeding Jessica? Can you qualify that statement?
Nothing negative meant about Jessica, she is a good sailor. Laura, for all her young life before heading out, loved to go out in heavy weather just to see what her boat could do. Her dad was a real task master when it came to teaching her. Other skill sets were celestial navigation, diesel and systems repair. On the circumnavigation, while Jessica went non-stop, Laura cleared in and out of many landfalls, learned local cultures and conducted commerce. More of a complete sailing experience don't you think?

Her ability to dial into whatever she sails was evident when she was asked at the boat show to demo an inflatable cat sailing dinghy. Not only did she demo a new boat to her flawlessly, but on another day during a blow asked if she could try it in those conditions. The manufacturer didn't think that was too good of an idea, as conditions exceeded anything that this little boat had sailed in, but did say OK. Right from launch was hit with a gust, but instead of a quick capsize, she flew a hull and was off. They were so impressed, gave her the boat after the show.

This was taken after she got her new toy back to Guppy in St Maarten and sailed to Panama and Shelter Bay Marina.

I know Jessica is now racing with a young crew for Australia and Laura who was bitten by the racing bug during the Volvo series when she was in Cape Town is planning on making NZ her new home, so should be interesting if she races for NZ, as that is a long standing rivalry.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:56   #518

Quote:

Her ability to dial into whatever she sails was evident when she was asked at the boat show to demo an inflatable cat sailing dinghy. Not only did she demo a new boat to her flawlessly, but on another day during a blow asked if she could try it in those conditions. The manufacturer didn't think that was too good of an idea, as conditions exceeded anything that this little boat had sailed in, but did say OK. Right from launch was hit with a gust, but instead of a quick capsize, she flew a hull and was off. They were so impressed, gave her the boat after the show.

This was taken after she got her new toy back to Guppy in St Maarten and sailed to Panama and Shelter Bay Marina.

Sorry, but you are wrong here. The MiniCat was given to her because she mentioned it on her blog (see the 24-2-2011 blog). It had nothing to do with a boat show. The pictures you posted were taken in Bora Bora and Shelter Bay.

PS.:
Photo credit: www.lauradekker.nl
Old 04-06-2012, 10:16   #519

Geez, I included the South Pacific picture because the lens wasn't wet like the Shelter Bay shot, but that is OK, don't want to pass mis-information. I know Minicat gives her some coin for every purchase made through her web site, but wasn't it Minicat that approached her to demo it for the crowds at last year's Dutch boat show? And I'll ask you again, if you have information that you can simply contribute, please do, everyone that follows this thread has an interest in this sailor's sailor. She is the real deal when it comes to accomplished small boat handlers, I sure respect her skills and uncanny 6th sense to sailing, and I'm a graduate of CMA with a lot of ocean miles.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25   #520

So, how about it Hammond, who are you? Tell us about yourself. I'm an admitted fan of Laura, nothing else, no connection to her other than email correspondence and mutual friends. My background is that of a solo sailor and Merchant Marine.

Hammond, tell your story, I'm all ears.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:25   #521

Quote:
Geez, I included the South Pacific picture because the lens wasn't wet like the Shelter Bay shot, but that is OK, don't want to pass mis-information. I know Minicat gives her some coin for every purchase made through her web site, but wasn't it Minicat that approached her to demo it for the crowds at last year's Dutch boat show? And I'll ask you again, if you have information that you can simply contribute, please do, everyone that follows this thread has an interest in this sailor's sailor. She is the real deal when it comes to accomplished small boat handlers, I sure respect her skills and uncanny 6th sense to sailing, and I'm a graduate of CMA with a lot of ocean miles.
You are talking about the HISWA Amsterdam Boat Show 2011? The MiniCat has nothing to do with that. And it would have been impossible to sail it on that small pool (Water Fun Zone).

Indeed, there was a sponsoring campaign from MiniCat (100 € for Laura for each sold MiniCat).

MINICATAMARAN - The sailing boat that fits in your car!!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:31   #522

Yes, that was the show and I thought they had electric fans set up for sailing in the pool. Keep telling us more, I don't mind being corrected, the facts for sure are more important than me being chastised for any errors. I can take it, hit us with some more information.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:40   #523

Quote:
Yes, that was the show and I thought they had electric fans set up for sailing in the pool. Keep telling us more, I don't mind being corrected, the facts for sure are more important than me being chastised for any errors. I can take it, hit us with some more information.
They had fans ("wind turbines") but those things were pretty weak; you could not do such stunts as you described in one of your recent posts. Laura even had problems to sail her Optimist dinghy to the start line during the opening of the Water Fun Zone:

Old 04-06-2012, 11:04   #524

Hammond, wees niet verlegen, dragen meer alstublieft.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:18   #525

Quote:
Hammond, wees niet verlegen, dragen meer alstublieft.
NEVER trust Google Translate!

Tags
circumnavigation