Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 22:37   #136

Boat: too many
Re: Laura Dekker's Circumnavigation

I think they both learned a lot on their solo circumnavigation, but IMHO both had way above average sailing talents before they left. Laura is uncanny in my book, at her ability to "dial-in" to what ever she is sailing, from flying a hull on an inflatable catamaran dinghy in heavy weather, to both of her Hurlys, the Amsterdam Tall Ship, and her Gin Fizz. And to think her government didn't think she could sail as well as she does and didn't have the mental ability for the long stretches of being alone. That is when she is the happiest, sailing alone. Just proves that governments don't know what is best for their citizens. The Dutch government wasted a lot of tax dollars trying to keep her from going, and now after she has decided to live in New Zealand, will miss out on the 34% tax rate for what is going to be a best seller, Laura's book.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:29   #137

Boat: 33ft sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
And to think, those two young sailors leading the yachting battles...were both once considered incompetent sailors a little more than a year ago.
Jessica Watson, yes. But nobody in Holland, not even the bureaucrats she had to fight off doubted her sailing ability. THat was not the issue. The issue was purely the fact that minors are compelled to remain at school till at least their 16th, but actually their 18th year. In her case it was the 16th year anyway.
It was that creep of an official aided by this terrible, often unlawful Governmental Organisation, that she was put under surveillance till she got her freedom when a judge dismissed the case. Particular "agressive" tactics of the GO helped her winning her case.

But again: NOBODY doubted her sailing ability!
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:23   #138
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy
And to think, those two young sailors leading the yachting battles...were both once considered incompetent sailors a little more than a year ago.
But only considered incompetent by the clueless.

When I was Laura's age or even a bit younger, skippers of the traditional Dutch yachts asked me to take the helm for mooring them stern first in their slips. Nobody raised an eyebrow about "the boy" doing that. But when I was training in my Laser, the Optimist and 420 classes had many girls sailing them better than most boys. Every sailor did see this coming even for girls born and raised ashore. It's the big sluggish clueless brain-washed mass that questioned Laura before quickly switching back to the TV soap channels.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:13   #139

Laura proved the clueless wrong, and through taxes, will enrich New Zealand instead of the Netherlands, and I'm guessing through racing, might be a competitive thorn in the side of the Dutch. She might have defected to NZ anyway for the publishing of her book. Of the (3) passports she holds, the tax rate for the Dutch 34%, the French 29%, and Kiwis 23%. I would guess she will save at least $110,000 just in taxes.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:36   #140

Boat: Tartan 30

yes, yes, only the clueless doubted their abilities. I'm well aware of that, as I've been supporting her, and the rest of those kids (except for that brit brat!) from the beginning.

I was just noting the irony of the two underdogs possibly becoming two top competitors. but all is lost now... carry on.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:48   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
I was just noting the irony of the two underdogs possibly becoming two top competitors. but all is lost now... carry on.
Did I miss something?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:03   #142

Even in "Zeilersforum" the Dutch counterpart of CF there were many doubting the final outcome of Laura's adventure - with phrases like "would you let .... etc." So, it were not only the clueless.
Put it this way: Laura is not everyone and she has a determination seldom seen by the kids of today. Being able to make and well set to guide her own success without drugs, alcohol and the rif raf of the kinds of Lady Gaga and Amy Whinehouse and those other dolly's do show us.

I admire her for her determination, spirit and daredevil attitude in an age that we are surrounded with people - kids alike with one objective - the twitter and facebook community.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:39   #143

Not many people can say they have fulfilled their dreams, let alone at such a young age. And if her book does as well as I expect it to, she will have earned more in writing the book than I did lugging containers across the Pacific for 8 years. I tip my hat to her.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:44   #144
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG
Even in "Zeilersforum" the Dutch counterpart of CF there were many doubting the final outcome of Laura's adventure - with phrases like "would you let .... etc." So, it were not only the clueless.
Hahahahahahahahaha

Hohohohohohouho

You really think everybody on these forums has clues?!

Hihihihihihihihihi

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 13:22   #145

@ Nick

After all, .......... not really.
Old 06-01-2012, 18:18   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
MacG,
~~~
and with the extra media coverage due to it being Jessica, I can't help but wonder if a new New Zealand team might be on the drawing board as a competitive team even younger to mix it up with the Aussies. Think of the media potential, two young sailors leading a famous Aussie-Kiwi yachting battle.
I wouldn't put you hopes in the media too high. I counted mpre than a dozen stories in the US media. OK actually one story: the AP/ESPN/Sports Iluistrated story repeated.

Teenager finishes 37th in Sydneyto Hobart

Yeah three of the facts are there: She was 37th across the line. She was more than two days behind the winner. It was a young crew.
But nothing in the article explains why her crew threw her into the River Derwent after the voyage.

And the age of the crew is the least important fact. If their average age had been 39, and they had 60 previous S2Hs between them instead of just 3, finishing in second in class and the Jane Tate trophy for first female skipper over the line would still be a respectable result.
Noztradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 18:30   #147
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Laura Dekker's Circumnavigation

I hope she has not fulfilled her dreams... else it'll be downhill from here on..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 18:46   #148

@ Nostradamus

What's your point? No 37 out of a fat 80 participants is not too bad. She finished high up in the middle, a first step on the path of a sailing career.
And the Sydney-Hobart is a mixture of a Grand Prix with the Grand National, so it is a steep step in the deep.

Second to that, this is Laura' s thread and as Laura is an issue to me Jessica is not.
Next to that, Jessica was not the only female participant. Girls can clearly outmatch man if it comes to boats, guns and horses. Having experience with the three of them.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:31   #149

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I hope she has not fulfilled her dreams... else it'll be downhill from here on..

But, she did something, really early in the game, that will making living her dreams a whole lot easier for the rest of her life

I wish I was raised like that...
Old 07-01-2012, 09:16   #150

You folks notice that the two threads in this topic that keep bumping each other is about 2 solo sailors who are 70 years in age apart?

Tags
circumnavigation