With moderator approval (what were they thinking?) I hereby announce the Jessica Watson
RTW Arrival Time Contest. AND I GET TO MAKE THE RULES!
Rules and Information:
1. The object is to pick the date and time of Jessica's arrival back in Sydney
. The closest guess wins. However, in the interest of encouraging her to sail faster, entries which pick a date and/or time later than her arrival are not eligible. So yes, you could get the date right and still lose because Jessica arrived before your guessed time.
2. To be considered as an "official" entry, replies should state ONLY the date, and time; eg.: April 30, 12:01 PM. I think we can assume the year is 2010. Do not use the CF date format which appears on posts because it will be confusing. Military time but not date format is permitted . Replies other than your date/time guess are, of course, permitted. Only ONE ENTRY per member
is allowed. However, entries may be withdrawn and replaced up to the cut off date.
3. The rules for Jessica’s voyage require that she depart from and return to the same port, Sydney
. So crossing her outbound line or other measures of a circumnavigation
completion do not count. She completes her voyage when she arrives in Sydney and that is the time you need to guess - sort of. I’m still not sure what this means - crossing some line that demarks Sydney Harbor? Docking
? MORE IMPORTANTLY, I’ve reviewed some articles on Jesse Martin, Zack Sunderland, etc. and there doesn’t seem to be any mention of an official arrival time. Records for those crazy one-off racing
boat circumnavs are usually expressed in days, hours, minutes. But, records for Jessica’s type of voyage are usually expressed only in days. I cannot even find an exact time for her departure.
So, THE REAL TIME YOU HAVE TO GUESS is the "official" announced arrival time, if any; or any other time you can document and defend per any information available after Jessica’s arrival. Winners will, of course, be determined by endless debate and possibly a vote.
4. Cut off date = April 1, 2010 per the CF date stamp for your post. IE. your post must be stamped prior to midnight April 1st. Post April 1, 2010 posts promoting debate, argument, and thread drift are, of course, encouraged.
5. New South Wales is currently on Daylight Savings Time = UTC/GMT + 11 hours. On April 4, 2010 this will change back to Standard Time = UTC/GMT +10 hours. All Date/Time entries are deemed to be in the local time in Sydney in effect for the guessed date.
6. Prize is TBD. But, surely the glory alone that comes with winning is priceless.
7. Anyone, other than me, who is inclined to create an official spread sheet of date/time entries is encouraged to do so.