Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2010, 04:17   #886

Boat: Sabre 28 Mk1 "Shaba"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Myself, I honestly could not be too bothered getting into the technicalities. As far as Jessica’s circumnavigation was concerned I agree that if it was not going to be ratified by any official bodies then why shouldn’t she have taken the safest and most direct route. I also love her comment that went something like,

“Well if I was not sailing around the world then what was I doing?”.

Personally, I also feel that the world is far too politically correct. That is why I was stoked to stumble across the following non-Australian “group”. It seems the spirit of adventure is alive and well elsewhere. It is also good to see shoestring adventurers banding together and supporting each other:

http://www.jesterinfo.org/index.html

Another website you might enjoy is Atom Voyages | Voyaging Around the World on the Sailboat Atom with James and Mei
James Baldwin in my opinion should be better known. His story is also the story of someone that had a dream and followed it. I found out about him when I owned and restored a Pearson Triton a few years back. Here is some info on James Balwin.
Who is James Baldwin?
I'm originally from Michigan, where in 1979, at the age of twenty, I purchased Atom, a 28-foot 1963 Pearson Triton sailboat for the then fantastic sum of $12,000. In 1984-86 I completed my long held dream of sailing alone around the world. Since then I've cruised and worked as boat builder, writer, delivery skipper and numerous other jobs around the world.
James threw out the engine, and used a long sweep oar for auxiliary propulsion!

Richard
Old 21-05-2010, 07:00   #887
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Nice find SS, thanks for posting it
See also:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...his-12488.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-up-16764.html

TaoJones
Old 21-05-2010, 20:35   #888
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For those who really want to support Team Jessica, and have a tangible piece of history in the bargain, check this out - it's from the page at her site called The Latest News.
Quote:
Jessica Watson - Sailing into History

21-May-2010

To celebrate Jessica's amazing feat of becoming the youngest person ever to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world, a unique memorabilia item (refer image below) offers you the chance to own a piece of this historic journey, with your very own piece of Jessica’s mainsail featuring prominently in the design.
That's right . . . for only $1299 (Australian dollars), you can have your very own framed swatch of Jessica's old mainsail, and it's autographed by Jessica. It's a limited edition, er, swatch, as they are only going to divide her thoroughly-used main into 210 pieces - symbolic of her 210 days at sea.

Hmmm . . . let's see - 210 times $1299 is $272,790 Australian dollars. Converted to American dollars, that's only $227,206.79, or, converted to Euros, only €180,753.22 at today's rate of exchange.

Hurry, and place your order, folks . . . at this bargain price, they won't last long!

Here's the link:

Memorabilia Online

TaoJones
Old 22-05-2010, 10:43   #889

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
5 short

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The vessel with limited maneuverability sounds the warning in all cases... in this case the tanker.. furthermore if there was a qualified watch-keeper on the bridge he would have been able to see they were on converging course and speed from the radar info... and sounded the 5 blasts.
I've been in this situation in the English Channel a few times.. and its a damn sight busier than there...
if a ship thinks your in jeopardy because of your course and speed they'll give you a blast...
then its on the vhf to inform them that you'll alter course to pass their stern..
Their Radar plotters are a damn sight more accurate than our eyeballs.
I think you misunderstand Rule 34(d) - 5 short blasts indicate: "your actions are not understood" or "you don't appear to be taking (sufficient) action in accordance with the Rules."
Normally this would be sounded by the stand-on vessel, not the least manoeuvrable one.

I disagree also with the statement about ARPA - while a very useful tool, particularly beyond the range of visibility, they are susceptible to input variabilities that do not afflict the eye. I had the very good fortune to sail in a ship that had both ARPA and a manual plotting head on the bridge - I consistently produced more accurate plots on targets than the ARPA, though I concede the ARPA was a great deal faster
Old 22-05-2010, 14:55   #890

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
That's right . . . for only $1299 (Australian dollars), you can have your very own framed swatch of Jessica's old mainsail, and it's autographed by Jessica.
This is the one that was torn in three in the Southern Ocean right? If it was a bit with her hand-stitching on it might be worth it, assuming she took the trouble to embroider a few flowers on it whilst mending the sail.

They'll be selling her used knickers to her Japanese fans next....
Old 22-05-2010, 16:56   #891
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I think you misunderstand Rule 34(d) - 5 short blasts indicate: "your actions are not understood" or "you don't appear to be taking (sufficient) action in accordance with the Rules."
Normally this would be sounded by the stand-on vessel, not the least manoeuvrable one.

I disagree also with the statement about ARPA - while a very useful tool, particularly beyond the range of visibility, they are susceptible to input variabilities that do not afflict the eye. I had the very good fortune to sail in a ship that had both ARPA and a manual plotting head on the bridge - I consistently produced more accurate plots on targets than the ARPA, though I concede the ARPA was a great deal faster
LOL... Ok... if you say so... but if I see one of the Poole or Portsmouth to Cherbourg cross channel Ferries bearing down on me and hear the 5 blasts I get the Fook outa the way.. as does every dinghy, cruiser, power boat and everything else in the Solent and Poole region... same goes for the Channel... in or outa the TSZ's
As taught in all RYA sailing schools, the Royal Navy and I presume the remains of the Merchant Navy.. 5 short blasts means "Look out-Have you seen me..." or.... "Get the Fook outa the way"... no misunderstanding on my part...I do...

As for the ARPA.. they've given me pretty good GPS feedback ie comparisons/course/speeds on the occasions in heavy weather conditions when I'm communicating with vessels at night and they have not eyeballed me... or cannot due to wave interference..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-05-2010, 20:13   #892

Well boatman, I can only assume that you were the burdened vessel in those circumstances. I am reasonably certain that the RN still insists on rote memorization of the Rules and that most officers of the grey-funnel line would describe 34(d) verbatim. I've delivered 5 toots on many occasions, and while some may have had the intention of waking up the other watchkeeper, the reasoning still held that I was the stand-on and he was not acting in accordance.
Old 22-05-2010, 21:16   #893
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Well boatman, I can only assume that you were the burdened vessel in those circumstances. I am reasonably certain that the RN still insists on rote memorization of the Rules and that most officers of the grey-funnel line would describe 34(d) verbatim. I've delivered 5 toots on many occasions, and while some may have had the intention of waking up the other watchkeeper, the reasoning still held that I was the stand-on and he was not acting in accordance.
Ahhh... That explains the annual collisions of Merchant vessels in the Channel then... no one can decide who's the 'burdened vessel'...
1 blast for Stbd
2 for Port
3 for running engines in Reverse, slowing/reversing..
and I stand corrected
5 or more short blasts.... Gerouta the way... just had a look in my book to make sure...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-05-2010, 23:40   #894

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Records. Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
She crossed the equator exactly the same amount of times as knox johnson - cottee - martin etc etc.
So our Jesse won't be recognised as the youngest to circumnavigate the globe because....'We in charge of being in charge of the records think allowing a record for such a 'child' might cause others, in the future, to send an even younger child. So we're helping to keep kids safe.'

Is that more or less the argument for denying Jesse her record?

Yup.

But, apparently, its okay for 13 year old, Jordan Romero to claim the record for being the youngest ever to climb Mt Everest.

But of course! He's a boy! So that's okay!

In NZ we revere Sir Edmund Hillary whom, in 1953, with Sherpa Tenzing were the very first ever to climb Everest. Ed got a knighthood on the strength of it. And the Queen doesn't give away Knighthoods to any old person....unless the recipients are ex-politicians.

So there's Sir Ed, in 1953, wowing the world by climbing Everest and transmitting those iconic words, 'Weve knocked the bugger off'.

On the day and since, his achievement was deemed huge.

Now we have Jordan Romero, age 13, replicating Sir Ed's amazing journey.

Slocum was the very first to solo the globe, and heralded as a hero.

What's the one thing Slocum and Jordan Romero share?

Yup. A willy.

Apparently, it's okay for boys to take the challenge, but not those who don't have a willy.

What a bunch of mysoginistic dicks.
Old 23-05-2010, 04:32   #895

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
dpex, thank you for the best post I have ever seen on this site. You nailed it in one.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 23-05-2010, 06:33   #896

Quote:
Ahhh... That explains the annual collisions of Merchant vessels in the Channel then... no one can decide who's the 'burdened vessel'...
1 blast for Stbd
2 for Port
3 for running engines in Reverse, slowing/reversing..
and I stand corrected
5 or more short blasts.... Gerouta the way... just had a look in my book to make sure...
Just maybe those "annual collisions of Merchant vessels" are caused because they've read the Rules from the same book as you...

PS. You've screwed up 3 short as well. Time to toss your book and get a real one.
Old 23-05-2010, 06:44   #897
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Just maybe those "annual collisions of Merchant vessels" are caused because they've read the Rules from the same book as you...

PS. You've screwed up 3 short as well. Time to toss your book and get a real one.
Ahh well.. RYA Booklet G2 for the bin then... lmao..
tho' the actual book I carry onboard is the 'RYA Day Skipper'(1988) one for basic info/explanation for non/first time boating curious friends who come sailing... nice and simple with lots of pictures...
Maybe you should contact them and let them know.... www.rya.org.uk
You could be famous like the guy who discovered the 99yr old mistake in the Oxford English Dictionary that stated Syphoning relied on Atmospheric Pressure...
But I'll still keep getting outa the way.. blasts or no blasts...
PS; I know its for Restricted Manouvering (anytime).. but usually to indicate going astern..

Old 23-05-2010, 07:08   #898
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
the guy who discovered the 99yr old mistake in the Oxford English Dictionary that stated Syphoning relied on Atmospheric Pressure...
Are you certain that Australian physicist and astronomer Stephen Hughes was right?
See http://siphonphysics.com/

Old 23-05-2010, 07:19   #899
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Are you certain that Australian physicist and astronomer Stephen Hughes was right?
See Siphon Oxford English Dictionary Error
Who can be certain of anything... interpretation is for the individual...
Thalidomide was a 'Certain Benefit' for pregnant women... just screwed up the kids...
as Fangio said... "I'm not interested in how it works... I just drive em".. (rough quote)
same with syphoning... it works for me and that's all that matters... Monkey see.. Monkey do....lol
I leave the finer points to the intellectuals

Old 23-05-2010, 10:32   #900

Quote:
Ahh well.. RYA Booklet G2 for the bin then...
But I'll still keep getting outa the way.. blasts or no blasts...
PS; I know its for Restricted Manouvering (anytime).. but usually to indicate going astern..
I'm not terribly familiar with the RYA publications, but take it they've dumbed down the Rules for the average pleasure boater. If a merchant vessel sounds 5 short in your general direction, then it's very likely you've done something you shouldn't have; not done something you should've; or you're somewhere you shouldn't be - suffice it to say the average WAFI/mobo should probably take it to mean "get the fook outta the way!!!" But that's not what it means, and it should and would not be used by merchantmen to override the steering and sailing Rules.

PS - 3 short means "I am operating astern propulsion." That's all.
This can but not necessarily be taken to imply the vessel is slowing, going astern, unable to operate forward propulsion without a delay, limited or lacking steerage, yawing or soon-to-be yawing to port/starboard, some/all/none of the above.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world