Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2010, 19:47   #811
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
Hmmm, I'm quite certain Han Solo (macho iconic hero though he definitely be) was NOT a single-hander. Chewbacca would be offended!

Still a great quote though!
Mariness... maybe he was... untill... like Pelagic... he got fed up of lonely nights...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 17-05-2010, 19:57   #812

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
From Latitude 38's 'lectrionic Latitude in July of 2007 is found the following report.

Harry Hechel completed his second solo circumnavigation when his Dreadnaught 32 crossed his out-bound track at the age of 87.
I remember a write up in Latitude 38 when he sailed in to the SF Bay, but so far I can't locate it.

The Joshua Solcum Society awarded him the Golden Circle Award when he was 91.
Old 17-05-2010, 22:09   #813
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Your right Mariness... was just a lame name play on Solo Handing.... Han Solo... get it..... ?
Old 17-05-2010, 22:16   #814

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Heckel Completes Second Circumnavigation at Age 89

June 10 - Jacksonville, FL
That's right, for on June 4, 89-year-old Harry Heckel, frequently written up in Latitude 38, docked his Dreadnought 32 at Jacksonville, Florida, marking the end of his second circumnavigation.
"The event marked more than just the end of 16 years of solo sailing," said Heckel, "it marked time for me to get off the bridge and become a passenger. At age 89, it's best to let someone else do the heavy lifting aboard Idle Queen.
"The 10-year period of my second trip around the world has been a time of significant learning for me," continued Heckel. "It became apparent that people who travel to new places in small boats are, as a group, the finest in the world. They are interested in people, places, and events, cognizant of the need to be on the lookout for trouble, and always ready to assist a fellow traveler. My belief that on a one-to-one basis, people from whatever country can be friendly and helpful, particularly to the elderly, was amply confirmed. My traveling now will be limited to U.S. waters and with a companion. Regards to all my friends."
Well done, Harry!

This second report is a direct copy and more factual that the first post, it appeared in 2005. Sorry for the errors found in the first post.
John
Old 17-05-2010, 22:48   #815

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Jessica Watson Beaten?

Seems someone's already outdone her...
Jessica Watson Beaten As Three Britons Sail Bouncy Castle Across Lake Garda
Old 18-05-2010, 01:58   #816
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Thread Drift ??

OK this post may make me guilty of some thread drift (but hey, not so "drifty" as some)!

We have seen a lot of Aussie solo circumnavigators congratulating JW of her great achivement but as far as I can tell, there has been no public comment from Kay Cottee. Have I missed something as I would have expected some comment from her or is there something else going on that would explain Kay's lack of public comment.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 18-05-2010, 02:02   #817
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
Nice find mate.... lmao

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 18-05-2010, 04:36   #818

Boat: Sabre 28 Mk1 "Shaba"
The hidden story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK this post may make me guilty of some thread drift (but hey, not so "drifty" as some)!

We have seen a lot of Aussie solo circumnavigators congratulating JW of her great achivement but as far as I can tell, there has been no public comment from Kay Cottee. Have I missed something as I would have expected some comment from her or is there something else going on that would explain Kay's lack of public comment.
This is the hidden story IMHO. The question is what was the length of Kay Cotee's voyage compared to Jessica's? I think Jesse hints about other people being famous, and not going the "ortho" distance. She said there is still bias against her because she is a teenager. I found this calculation. I don't know how accurate it is but the waypoints could easily be checked with great circle calculations, and a check of her actual route. I will try to find the url where I found this.

Originally Posted by icerat
Your link was broken (dropped a letter in cut and paste) -

http://www.sailspeedrecords.com/othe...g-records.html

Do you have a source for these distance calculations? It's a very interesting point!

This is the Internet: we don't need no steenking sources!

Joking aside I used http://216.147.18.102/dist/

For Kay Cottee, waypoints: Stanley(falklands) - Noronho - Kergulean - Hobart which gave a total distance of 17973nm. Her actual northernmost point was St Peter & St Paul Islands which are about 4°45" north of Noronho so add 570nm to give c.18500nm +/-

For Jessica, waypoints: Kiritimati-Tahiti - Tristan de Cunha - Kergulean - Hobart gives 18755nm

Adding Lord Howe & Norfolk adds 23nm which is probably not significant.
What might be significant is New Amsterdam - Jessica went north of it which would add to the Tristan de Cunha - Hobart distance.
But I can't find whether Kay Cottee went north or south of it. If north both sailors' routes increase but the margin would remain similar. If south, Jessica's distance margin increases.

(And link corrected thanks)

There are other things at play here as well. Kay Cottees boat is a permanent exhibit in the National Australian Maritime Museum, where Pink Lady is temporarily docked. Kay Cotee is also married to a TV producer. Nancy K, in her ill timed distance attack really stirred the pot. It is interesting that there haven't been any articles comparing Cottees and Watson's RTW trips, even though both were done by women and are similar. Jesse of course read Cottee's book, and I'm sure is familiar with her route.

Does anyone have a definitive calculation as per World Sailing Record great circle calculations of Kay Cottee's voyage? I can't find it anywhere.

Cottee's RTW is acknowleded by WSSRC
Other Kinds of Sailing Records

In any case, the truth will come out at some point if Cottee's voyage was judged by a different criteria than Jessica's.

Richard

Old 18-05-2010, 06:03   #819

Boat: Charter
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInMd View Post
This is the hidden story IMHO. The question is what was the length of Kay Cotee's voyage compared to Jessica's?
See WorldSailingRecords.com about this topic. And they now recognize Jessica Watson as the youngest solo circumnavigator.

"... Kay Cottee, the first woman to circumnavigate the world solo crossed the equator only for a day or so, just like Jessica, so in turn also only covered 18,000 odd nautical miles when measured as a great circle route from major way point to way point, just like Jessica. Cottee is recognised by the Guinness World Records..."
Old 18-05-2010, 07:06   #820

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
I think the hidden story is Jesse Martin's reaction. Kay Cottee's "short circumnavigation" was mentioned here earlier and at YachtPals, but Jesse's reaction to the finish has been absent.

I thought the video of Jesse and Jessica on her boat as they were sitting side by side while Mike was at the helm was very telling. She looked incredibly uncomfortable, quiet and stiff. Since she had publicly said that she wasn't just going to break his record but that she was "going to smash it" I can think of a couple of reasons why she would be uncomfortable next to him at the end.

I also think the significance of Jesse's record is another hidden story. It is even more impressive now that we have seen the failures to break it over 10 years later, using much more modern equipment and massive corporate sponsorships.

-Sven
Old 18-05-2010, 07:15   #821

jesssica

I have been searching the pacfic net for broadcasts weather and related information on her pacfic crossing but can tune in any of her position broadcast, is she only using just sat-phone
Old 18-05-2010, 07:19   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec906 View Post
See WorldSailingRecords.com about this topic. And they now recognize Jessica Watson as the youngest solo circumnavigator.
This website was anonymously created in Australia in September 2009. There is no information on the website about who created it. I wouldn't quote it as evidence of anything.
Old 18-05-2010, 07:30   #823

Another attempt coming to a finish ...

From: Solo Circumnavigator Crossing the Line | YachtPals.com

Quote:
As Jessica Watson was returning home, stepping onto a pink carpet to find herself a national celebrity, another solo voyager was quietly preparing in loneliness to cross over his own around the world course. Still in the South Atlantic, adventurer Alessandro Di Benedetto is now within miles of where he was back in December, prepared to "tie the knot" in his track as he limps his damaged 21 foot sailboat back to his starting point in France, in the hopes of earning the world record for sailing around the world solo, non-stop and unassisted in the smallest boat in history.
How did he do it so fast in a 21' boat !?

-Sven
Old 18-05-2010, 13:01   #824

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Another attempt coming to a finish ...

From: Solo Circumnavigator Crossing the Line | YachtPals.com

How did he do it so fast in a 21' boat !?

-Sven
He went a more daring but faster route than Jessica, staying at around latitude 50S, where Jessica preferred the longer route around 40S. This did not add to the WSSRC calculated distance for Jessica since it is the theroretical distance past one waypoint and around relevant capes that is used for calculation.
Old 18-05-2010, 13:54   #825

One sponsor seems seriously upset:

Sponsor slams 'orchestrated' voyage

His complaint certainly rings true but I wonder what may have caused the very harsh tone.

-Sven
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world