Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2010, 05:40   #766

I watched the videos with a certain amount of "gee, that's impressive" but also with a healthy amount of "gee, that was needlessly reckless." Definitely mixed emotions.

I think that by the end, I decided that I really can't condone such poor seamanship (no watch keeping for 210 days in poor conditions. 7 knockdowns, and the collision during the training run tell me she relied on luck far more than was wise. I don't expect wisdom from a 16 year old of course, so I have to then question her parents' sanity/motivation/etc.

I don't care at all about the record part of it at all, other than I'm glad that the various "experts" stopped tracking the "youngest" category. I don't want to see a 14 year old or a 12 year old attempting this in the future.
Old 16-05-2010, 06:18   #767

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Her motivation to accept the risks, I suspect, has a lot to do with the Aussie newspaper article published upon her arrival - that her "team" has already acquired contracts paying her a million dollars or more for publicity and endorsement along with a book about her journey which is due in the stores in July - my that is awful fast considering she has just arrived back - unless - somebody else wrote the book before she got back.
- - Nothing wrong with that as she is a "sports" celebrity and endorsements, etc. are bread and butter for them worldwide. As to accepting "risk" - nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 16-05-2010, 07:43   #768
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
"
I think that by the end, I decided that I really can't condone such poor seamanship (no watch keeping for 210 days in poor conditions. 7 knockdowns, and the collision during the training run tell me she relied on luck far more than was wise. I don't expect wisdom from a 16 year old of course, so I have to then question her parents' sanity/motivation/etc.
Thats the Joy/Hell of solo sailing... your on watch when your awake... your off watch when your asleep... knock downs happen in big seas... even to the professionals.. the testament is that you survive and carry on without screaming for help or giving up.
Every solo sailor relies on luck out there... I'll even go as far as to say every sailor on a small boat relies on luck to some extent...
try spotting a floating log, oil drum, unlit drifting buoy on a dark night... try spotting a drifting container in anything over a F3... near impossible till your on it.
You accept the risks and get on with it or....
you stay safe in the marina... and risk being rammed there... hahahahaaa

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-05-2010, 07:50   #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
... along with a book about her journey which is due in the stores in July - my that is awful fast considering she has just arrived back - unless - somebody else wrote the book before she got back.
Might likely be one of those books that relies heavily on blog posts, with a little bit of editing and an intro? Those seem to be popular lately, and there wouldn't be a lot of new material that needs to be generated. People likely to buy the book would not have read those all already.
Old 16-05-2010, 08:33   #770

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have never "relied on Luck" I have however experienced it at the most opportune times. relying on it would require more skill then. I have. Serenity is constant vigilence mixed with a competent lack of arrogance.
Old 16-05-2010, 08:39   #771

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thats the Joy/Hell of solo sailing... your on watch when your awake... your off watch when your asleep... knock downs happen in big seas... even to the professionals.. the testament is that you survive and carry on without screaming for help or giving up.
Every solo sailor relies on luck out there... I'll even go as far as to say every sailor on a small boat relies on luck to some extent...
try spotting a floating log, oil drum, unlit drifting buoy on a dark night... try spotting a drifting container in anything over a F3... near impossible till your on it.
You accept the risks and get on with it or....
you stay safe in the marina... and risk being rammed there... hahahahaaa
I'm glad you added the proviso "to some extent" because comparing standard navigation hazards that everyone might encounter to 210 days of poor sleep, and the resulting brain fog and poor decision making that results from lack of sleep are two completely different things. Yeah, an elephant could fall out of the sky while she's at the dock as well, but what are the chances? There is a massive range of choices between staying in the marina and sailing solo around the world.

Maybe I'm just negative, but I suspect that an average of one knockdown a month is an indicator that safe sailing principles are not being followed. One man's fame and fortune seeking is another man's selfishness. I can be impressed at her mental toughness and commitment to follow through while at the same time deploring the stupidity and selfishness of the entire venture. Each knockdown is a life threatening event and it's wise to learn from that event and take actions to prevent it from happening again.

You of course are welcome to your own opinion. Oh, and she is a professional sailor, but I'm not convinced that she's a smart professional sailor at this point in her life.
Old 16-05-2010, 08:49   #772
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Lol... Puddlefish.. when I referred to Professionals I meant guys who've been at it for years in the 'Big Leagues' with 8-16 crew on board..
comparing a solo newcomer(professional or not) like Jessica to them is like comparing a newly qualified driver to Jenson Button or Mark Webber.

Sabray... Guess I'm arrogant.. I rely on luck every time I walk down the pavement.. get out of bed or eat processed cheese...lol.... oh and when I'm asleep offshore..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-05-2010, 08:54   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Lol... Puddlefish.. when I referred to Professionals I meant guys who've been at it for years in the 'Big Leagues' with 8-16 crew on board..
comparing a solo newcomer(professional or not) like Jessica to them is like comparing a newly qualified driver to Jenson Button or Mark Webber.
I suspected that's what you meant. I'm glad we agree.
Old 16-05-2010, 09:02   #774
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

ROFLMAO...........

Old 16-05-2010, 09:08   #775

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
All I can say is:
In the years ahead , whom ever she eventually chooses to share her life with, there is that day going to be a very lucky young man.

Well Done Jessica!

I have 3 teanage daughters who think your pretty keen...one your age thats just learning what a Halyard is....Thanks for showing her the way.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 16-05-2010, 09:12   #776

Boat: Bristol 34
Sailing aside, that Jessica managed to put this endeavor together by assembling a team of experts, financial sponsors and supporters is a logistical feat that should be fully dissected and then introduced as curriculum in every business school. That she did it at such a tender age should negate any negative reference to her youth.

I somehow doubt that Jessica planned or even foresaw the commercial benefits to herself at the time she began her quest. Yet deriding her for now accepting the spoils of her accomplishments smells strongly of sour grapes.

As to her seamanship, the fact that she arrived safely home, boat intact, after what she endured speaks for itself. I can think of only a handful of people actually qualified or worthy to comment on her skills – and most were present at her homecoming.

It may behoove the naysayers of Jessica Watson to re-read Theodore Roosevelt’s “The Man in the Arena” and be bluntly reminded that: “it is not the critic that counts”.
Old 16-05-2010, 09:17   #777

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
I watched the videos with a certain amount of "gee, that's impressive" but also with a healthy amount of "gee, that was needlessly reckless." Definitely mixed emotions.

I don't care at all about the record part of it at all, other than I'm glad that the various "experts" stopped tracking the "youngest" category. I don't want to see a 14 year old or a 12 year old attempting this in the future.
We have kinda covered this (the age thing) and this thread is about her journey so I will skirt some of your comments to stay within the parameters of this thread

"Luck" can only take you so far, I don't believe it can get you RTW. I think Boatman61's reply was dead on, but will add any boat who crosses the ocean relies on the..uh er "hospitality" of the sea to some degree or another. A small boat may weather the storm while a larger vessel founders and vice versa. I was in a hard knockdown, there were two people on deck. In that case it was poor seamanship, the crew just didn't want to reef in spite of the warning signs. BUT a knockdown in the area JW was sailing doesn't necessarily have anything to do with taking high risk, except for simply being there in the first place (IMHO). Either way, there is zero luck involved after the knockdown, except bad luck. It takes true seamanship to keep a boat sailing on after bad things happen.

Jessica proved she can sail around the world non-stop unassisted by sailing around the world non-stop unassisted.

Erika
Old 16-05-2010, 09:23   #778
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Damn... I wish I had such a great way with words...
Nice post Erika..

Old 16-05-2010, 09:28   #779

Oops, I didn't realize that this was the "admiration only" thread. Apologies and feel free to remove my posts without contacting me to tell me why.
Old 16-05-2010, 09:37   #780

Boat: PETERSON 44
yeah Erica good words.
Because I like words. And I don't think Jessica was lucky the effort was successful. The idea of Luck is fun. I see it as an occasion that occured without regard to my preperation. It falls upon me when I least suspect there was a need.Perhaps I have never recognizd the moment that it occured. That dead head, container etc.. I didn't see. Rely on it no. Experience it yes more often I know when its not about.
Congratulations Jessica I hope only a few follow in your youngest challenge thing.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world