Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2009, 00:01   #61

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
12,800 seems to be suffering from Hypoxia.

Actually, she does not need to have a tracker or a position reporter or anything eles on board for the publics benefit. The only folks she will ultimately need to impress is the Slocum Society or other group that she may apply to for certification of her trip.

We really need to back off and give this young lady some room to manuver. At 16 I doubt that many of us had the knowledge, gumption, or desire to do what she is out there doing. Personally, I think it's grand.

Rather than beat your hairy chest about how to accomplish a RTW adventure get out there and show us how it's done.
Old 31-10-2009, 01:06   #62
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12,800ft View Post
teeheehee with the risk of being band ?

uuhm, saling around the world solo that is the biggest fear and concern.

sail much

ABSURD!
I think the word you are after is 'banned', not band. Your current path is leading into a dark place full of dangers and is the home of the BRB. If anyone pushes the Big Red Button, the CF world will end for someone, please don't be that someone be you and change your track 12800.

Yes a solo RTW does have many concerns and worries attached by why would anyone want to add another by telling potential perverts exactly where she was. That certainly would be absurd as you say.

She IS out there and IS doing it. No point arguing the ins or outs anymore. Revel in her tenacity to actually do something most can only dream of.

The parents and people who count know exactly where she is, she does have fully Sat tracking systems aboard. If we only know within a few 100 miles, that's fine with me and I would think most others.

And I know exactly why Jessica is out there. She didn't want to see her entire nation crying into their pillows when the mighty All Blacks pummel the Wallabies into the dirt tonite. It's going to be a massacre of biblical proportions, or at least that's what I'm hoping for. So she is indeed a very smart young lady
Old 31-10-2009, 06:19   #63

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - 12,800 asks a fair question that should have a simple answer - such as: we cannot figure out how to make it work, or the web-site programmer is on vacation and nobody else knows how, etc. It was a somewhat straight questions after you pared away the negative connotations. Especially since position trackers for cruisers are easily posted using Google Maps or Winlink/Airmail by hundreds, if not thousands of other cruisers out there that have blogs or websites.
- - Without a straight, simple, direct answer we can assume either what I mentioned above or that for PR reasons her "team" wants to elevate public interest by being mysterious and obliquely inferring "security" reasons. All to often governments use that tactic to cover up simple - can't figure out how to do it - situations.
Old 31-10-2009, 08:08   #64
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Please, everyone, keep your posts on-topic. Ex-Calif clearly set out the topic in the post that opened this thread. That a member has chosen to be disruptive and cause trouble is not a reason for anyone else to feed his desire for attention.

When you post anything that is off the topic of Jessica Watson's epic quest, you are giving-in to one member's wish to derail the thread. If the member is ignored and your posts are on-topic, he is left unfulfilled and this thread can have a long and useful life.

The Cruisers Forum team of moderators is very much aware of what is going on, and we are dealing with it.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

TaoJones
Old 31-10-2009, 08:27   #65

Boat: Beneteau 393
I'm curious if she tried frying up that squid that landed all over her deck!

Mmmmm calamari!
Old 31-10-2009, 13:24   #66
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've just deleted a bunch of off topic posts in this thread. I normally would PM each poster to let them know, but frankly there were just too many of them.
Old 31-10-2009, 13:40   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - 12,800 asks a fair question that should have a simple answer - such as: we cannot figure out how to make it work, or the web-site programmer is on vacation and nobody else knows how, etc. It was a somewhat straight questions after you pared away the negative connotations. Especially since position trackers for cruisers are easily posted using Google Maps or Winlink/Airmail by hundreds, if not thousands of other cruisers out there that have blogs or websites.
- - Without a straight, simple, direct answer we can assume either what I mentioned above or that for PR reasons her "team" wants to elevate public interest by being mysterious and obliquely inferring "security" reasons. All to often governments use that tactic to cover up simple - can't figure out how to do it - situations.
Or it could be that they really don't want to tell the entire world, including all the sicko's, pirates and opportunists, her exact position.

I wouldn't blame them for that, and the fact is, the public really doesn't need to know where she is down to the last millimetre.
Old 31-10-2009, 13:55   #68
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree with 44cc's observation: no one outside her support team has any reason to know her exact location at any time. Her first line of defense, it seems to me, is to keep that information very closely held.

As I recall, Zac Sunderland was followed in what he felt was a threatening way by another vessel somewhere between Australia and South Africa. His only recourse was to call his father on his sat phone. Zac, a resourceful, knowledgeable sailor, was scared s***less!

I can well imagine what a helpless, terrifying feeling it would be to be all alone and have that happen. Any human in that circumstance, regardless of age, would find it virtually impossible to tamp down the fear and not to assume the worst.

I sincerely hope that Jessica never finds herself in a similar predicament, and keeping her exact location secret will certainly help to prevent it. For those who demand to know exactly where she is, or at least to know why they aren't being told her exact location - Get Over It!

TaoJones
Old 31-10-2009, 14:04   #69
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
I can well imagine what a helpless, terrifying feeling it would be to be all alone and have that happen.
There be dragons...

Safer to stay at home:Certain risks associated with solo around the world: Storms, break-downs, injuries, pirates, etc, etc. , terrifying feeling from all of the above for sure.
Old 31-10-2009, 14:40   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I agree with 44cc's observation: no one outside her support team has any reason to know her exact location at any time. Her first line of defense, it seems to me, is to keep that information very closely held.

As I recall, Zac Sunderland was followed in what he felt was a threatening way by another vessel somewhere between Australia and South Africa. His only recourse was to call his father on his sat phone. Zac, a resourceful, knowledgeable sailor, was scared s***less!

I can well imagine what a helpless, terrifying feeling it would be to be all alone and have that happen. Any human in that circumstance, regardless of age, would find it virtually impossible to tamp down the fear and not to assume the worst.

I sincerely hope that Jessica never finds herself in a similar predicament, and keeping her exact location secret will certainly help to prevent it. For those who demand to know exactly where she is, or at least to know why they aren't being told her exact location - Get Over It!

TaoJones
The price of fame? She could have set off without all the hubbub and then no one would have cared. She and the family decided to stage their own little reality show, should we be surprised the audience is disappointed the picture quality sucks?
Old 31-10-2009, 14:51   #71

It could even be something as simple as not wanting some guy who thinks a girl shouldn't circumnavigate from going out there and doing something that would invalidate her record.

Do we really need to know exactly where she is? Are we going to monitor her the whole way with satellites and flybys? We don't have the resources, and more importantly, we don't have the need.

Avoiding unwanted contact, be it piracy, perversion, or impediments to her record are good reasons not to want to publish her up to the minute location.

Satisfying naysayers on a web forum is not a good reason to do otherwise, imho.
Old 31-10-2009, 16:01   #72

From the Sydney Morning Herald
"A NEW ZEALAND sailor who limped into Hobart with a broken mast after 10 weeks at sea has warned of the loneliness Queensland teenager Jessica Watson faces on her record solo sailing attempt.
Phillip Zwies, 27, from Invercargill, was sailing solo from Cape Town to home when a freak wave snapped his mast two weeks into a 10-week journey.
''Hobart's just around the corner from home, so I stopped here to get it fixed,'' he said yesterday. Told of Jessica's non-stop attempt to sail solo around the world, Mr Zwies said she faced a major psychological challenge. ''That's going to take her 10 months or something and that's a lot of time to be on your own.
''Her biggest problem will be the psychology of being on your own for that long.''

As I said when I joined this thread, I know nothing about sailing, but my first reaction when I heard about Jessica'a attempt was how she would handle the isolation from a psychological point of view. I would be interested to hear from anyone with experience of long solo trips to hear first hand just what you go through.I am about to collect Jesse Martin's book from the library, so that will be one point of view. Kay Cottee's book is not available

Old 31-10-2009, 17:02   #73

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
As you've noticed, there are very few long distance passage makers, if any, who are posting judgements on her journey
I've only done a 15 day non-stop so I'm no expert on such a daunting achievment as Jessica is attempting. But its a simple deduction that its a major psychological challenge. Why do it if its not?
Singlehandlers as a rule, don't like to broadcast their reason for sailing alone. The reasons are very private.

A fellow singlehandler once gave me some sage advice when he remarked that it was unwise to make any major decisions or statements after you had completed a difficult passage, until after you had spent at least five days at anchor.
S*** happens. Rogue wave, water spout, lightning strick, a pod of whales, the list goes on. If it were easy, everybody would do it, but then were would the challange be?
I say this forum should support her effort and wish her well.
kindest regards John
Old 01-11-2009, 01:19   #74

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
The price of fame? She could have set off without all the hubbub and then no one would have cared. She and the family decided to stage their own little reality show, should we be surprised the audience is disappointed the picture quality sucks?
Just like every other single hander who has to be sponsored, so why do you keep going on about it, this thread is about her journey. Not yours or others knowing her exact whereabouts. Just get over it!
Old 01-11-2009, 01:32   #75

From her blog dated today

Quote:
Also, sorry about the delay in getting a tracking map up, but the team will have something on the website for you all next week to follow.
Something I read that I thought at first sounded quite funny.
Quote:
And on the subject of food today I pulled out my first new food bag. A food bag lasts 14 days. It feels like a bit of a milestone and I'm looking forward to dinner tonight because I get first pick of meals. By the end of the week all the good stuff will be gone and I'll be back to eating all my second favorites.
but after thinking about it I realised it is a smart approach. I'm sure I would eat the good stuff first as well and if I did not have "food bags" the last part of a journey would be very miserable
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world