Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2010, 16:21   #796

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengtinge View Post
I think Nancy Knudsen (the woman who wrote the article on the formal length of Jessica's journey) personally don't like Jessica.

Now she has written an article saying that she does not look right to be accepted as a sailor. She is too thin.

Sail-World.com : Jessica Watson and the image of a hardy sailor
I think you have misunderstood the article, I don't think she is being judgemental about Jess, simply saying that the traditional image of a sailor as a burly figure has been demolished.
I wonder if Jessica really has "lost several kilos"? Is that even possible without her vanishing away? The only time I recall her mentioning her weight was early on in her voyage when she said she had actually gained weight. OTOH later on in the voyage she does say she's been eating less than expected, so I daresay she must have lost a bit of weight at least. I'm sure a few plates of chips will soon put her right though!
Old 16-05-2010, 17:00   #797
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I detect no animosity in the linked article. To me, it reads as a compliment to Jessica for her slender appearance.

And Jessica is going to be able to use her attractive appearance, now, as an on-camera spokesperson for any number of advertisers who can't help but see the marketing potential in an association with such a wholesome, attractive person. I'm not surprised that Oceans 5 was able to arrange lucrative contracts for Jessica long before she ever sailed back into Sydney Harbour.

I have some understanding of the advertising industry, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that her contract with Ella Bache Cosmetics alone is worth a lot more than the one million dollar figure that some are reporting as the total of all her endorsement contracts. If Jessica's management is top-tier, I could see her endorsements grossing, perhaps, $20-30 million for her before she graduates from high school.

In fact, in America, a property as hot as this would probably skip the remainder of her public high school education, become an emancipated minor and pursue a modeling / acting / speaking career that could form the basis for a multi-million dollar industry exceeding $100 million. She seems bright-, together- and independent-enough to control it herself, as well.

Certainly, she won't fail for lack of focus and determination. And she earned a lot of respect for her mild rebuke to the Prime Minister, saying, "I don't consider myself a hero. I'm an ordinary girl who had a dream. You don't have to be someone special, or anything special to achieve something amazing. You just have to have a dream, believe in it and work hard.’

Those words will inspire young people all over the world for a long time.

And props must also be given to whomever at Ella Bache recognized this potential long before Jessica ever left Queensland in pursuit of her dream. They now have an association with a superstar.

TaoJones
Old 16-05-2010, 17:23   #798

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Ok, out of the loop here so fill me in. What day is she going to make the u-turn south? Have I missed it?

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, more fun than going faster than hull speed. Everything hums, the mast, the sails, the helm in your hands, even the deck beneath your feet, and the boat is totally in her element.

Former nay say er, now resigned to be a "go jessica" girl,
Erika
You can get a similar experience big wave surfing when your fin begins to resonate on high gravity turns. Maybe something her project manger Bruce Irons (?) on the “Big Wave Rider” cat might have heard about over the years? I was lucky enough to have him alongside me at Coffs Harbour recently at it was interesting to discuss the logistics like planing and precautions with this obviously very busy and committed individual.
Old 16-05-2010, 17:40   #799

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Hi Shane! long time no see. Were you at the welcome home Jessica meet? I hope she is able to take a step back and get some quiet time.
Erika
Old 16-05-2010, 19:23   #800

Quote:
Hi Shane! long time no see. Were you at the welcome home Jessica meet? I hope she is able to take a step back and get some quiet time.
Erika
Erika,

I would have kept going down too Sydney to see her sail through the heads, but only just got back myself and scored some hospitality work at the vineyards up here (really needed the money!). As such, I sat back and watched the event on a live TV broadcast. It was really amazing to see the number of people who turned out to welcome her home; I really do think she deserved the attention!

I am also not sure how much quiet time Jessica will be getting for a while as she is a real celebrity over here and she is giving quite a few appearances and live TV interviews this week. It will definitely be a while before she can walk down the street without sparking interest. Then there is the book that I can’t wait to read……,,,,,,,,
Old 16-05-2010, 19:44   #801

Quote:
I hope she is able to take a step back and get some quiet time.
Judging by articles like this it is obvious Jessica is now as big a celebrity as our Jennifer Hawkins.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/7245499/jessica-watsons-darkest-hour-revealed/

Good thing is that from memory in comparison to other states and countries there is a slight hint of privacy laws in QLD. I suppose too her circumnavigation ws definitely not a one-off stunt and she will be able to get some peace next time she heads for the open ocean; a place she has learnt to enjoy.
Old 16-05-2010, 21:20   #802

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Erika,

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]
I am also not sure how much quiet time Jessica will be getting for a while as she is a real celebrity over here and she is giving quite a few appearances and live TV interviews this week. It will definitely be a while before she can walk down the street without sparking interest. Then there is the book that I can’t wait to read……,,,,,,,,
Thinking the same. I can't even imagine being alone for all that time and your first re-entry to society is what they had waiting for her in Sydney...talk about culture shock!
Old 16-05-2010, 22:43   #803

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

What a together young woman Jessica is.

It was incredible how well she answered the questioning by various interviewers. Let alone her saying she had to disagree with what the Prime Minister had said he when he called her a hero after she had kept him waiting. (He was clearly there smiling for the photo opportunity - guess thats what pollies do with an election coming up).

One interviewer tried to pump her on possible future voyages. She had to repeat a couple of times she hadn't yet properly researched the ideas she might have for the future and so it would be inappropriate to say anything.

So assured and switched on she came across so well.
Old 17-05-2010, 13:04   #804

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
That's a pretty strange article. Firstly, unless there's something big missing from her blog it wasn't until a week after Cape Horn that she had the big run-in with stormy seas and knockdowns (a good way ENE of the Falklands in fact, over 1000 miles after the Horn), Cape Horn itself went pretty smoothly I thought.

Secondly, apart from getting his facts straight, her sweetheart needs to be a bit more circumspect I think! I think it's pretty clear from her blog that they are sweet for each other but now that she's a big celebrity an tiny scrap of gossip about her will make headline news, so referring to her mum as his future mother in law (assuming he wasn't misquoted) is probably the kind of thing he's going to regret saying (does Jessica realise they're already engaged to be married?)
Old 17-05-2010, 15:14   #805

A very switched on girl.

It was reported here yesterday that the media had offered a large sum of money to be at her birthday party for TV and magazine photo opportunities.

They were promptly told that it was going to be a "private affair."

One must therefore assume that Jessica does realize after so much time on her own how important "quiet time/privacy" is really worth.

A few politicians could learn a thing or two from that young lady.

A great ambassador for the youth of today.

Old 17-05-2010, 16:36   #806
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Great to see Jessica having fun with the media circus and reunited with her family. I am sure her thighs must be sore from pinching herself about all the accolades.

Tried to Google the answer without success but does anyone know who is the “Oldest solo nonstop sailing circumnavigator” in the record books?
Old 17-05-2010, 16:49   #807
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Great to see Jessica having fun with the media circus and reunited with her family. I am sure her thighs must be sore from pinching herself about all the accolades.

Tried to Google the answer without success but does anyone know who is the “Oldest solo nonstop sailing circumnavigator” in the record books?
Lmao... I'd check there's not an age limit before you try going for it... you may find yourself disqualified halfway round...
Some folks will do anything to preserve the 'Macho Sailor' image...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 17-05-2010, 16:51   #808
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, there's this, Pelagic:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...addy-9011.html

There's also Minoru Saito, from Japan:

Minoru Saito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TaoJones
Old 17-05-2010, 17:07   #809
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Thanks Tao… just what I was looking for.

I find these characters my real heroes especially since they are so poorly “marketable”.

No worries bm61, I am long past the days …of lonely nights…

But to quote that macho iconic hero of all single-hander’s:

Han Solo: Watch your mouth kid, or you're gonna find yourself floating home. ...
Old 17-05-2010, 19:33   #810

Hmmm, I'm quite certain Han Solo (macho iconic hero though he definitely be) was NOT a single-hander. Chewbacca would be offended!

Still a great quote though!
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world