Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 09:48   #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
To a true cruiser, that's not as serious an infraction as painting the boat pink.

Man do we agree, or what!!!!?

~
Old 09-05-2010, 10:02   #677

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
So, by Nancys or any other definition would Kiwi, Peter Freemans 1984 trip from Victoria, BC to Victoria, BC (with one stop for repairs in Santa Barbara outbound) qualify as a legitimate circumnavigation? He covered 26776 miles in 268 days in a homebuilt 32 ft boat without fanfare.Would his trip qualify if it was started and finished from Santa Barbara? His one stop.Just curious.
Steve.
If he stopped in Santa Barbara, California only outbound it violated the rule about the same port for departure and arrival. If he visited it also homebound, then it is maybe long enough, as Abby's journey (from Marina del Rey) seems long enough, but not with a margin. Depends on what route he had in the Indian Ocean. Best would be if he rounded the antipode 34S 59E.

For a stopping journey, Victoria, BC, Canada is so far north (about 49N) so it must qualify.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:06   #678

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Pictures are worth a 1000 words as to what you are all talking about.

A picture please....Thanks

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:52   #679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
A picture please....Thanks
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-yr-voyage.png
Old 09-05-2010, 16:53   #680

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
I won't quote any of the above offending posts, it all seems like sour grapes to me.

Fact: Jessica Watson a 16 yo girl has solo, unassisted, has circumnavigated the globe.

What can't the negative posters work out or accept?

Yes go on bring out the same old tripe, we admire Jessica but not her team or PR merchants etc: BullSh*t.

So put away your slide rules, calculators, excel spread sheets, wikipedia, your blow up world globes and tape measures, get off your collective backsides and take a good long hard look at yourselves in the mirror. Tell me what you see. In second thoughts don't bother, I think I know the answer.

When you actually go outside and do something, or better still go sailing and achieve something come back and tell us all about it. But for now can you please leave this 16 yo legend alone.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 09-05-2010, 17:06   #681

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
please leave this 16 yo legend alone.
If she's a legend, it's only fitting that her achievements should be mythical...
Old 09-05-2010, 17:57   #682

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
If she's a legend, it's only fitting that her achievements should be mythical...
Australian slang as well, but perhaps it's all in my mind.

Old 09-05-2010, 17:59   #683

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyjpmu View Post

OK Thanks... that helps...but some of the stuff is still a mystery to me.

But I can see what you are all on about in that a true RTW would have to be larger then the circumference of the picture posted due to the fact of several continents in the way.

I ran a mile in under 6 min at the local track today...but I cut across the field at the 50 yard line on the last 2 laps....does it still count as a mile?........................I think not.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 09-05-2010, 18:04   #684

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Thumbs up bob boblaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyjpmu View Post
i have two donuts
Old 09-05-2010, 20:18   #685

Obviously a lot of people sailed around the world at various distances. If you want to make an equal playing field you could add to the other rules that a distance equal to the circumferance of the planet has to be sailed. Roughly 24,902 miles.
Old 09-05-2010, 20:28   #686

SailNet: We know you had several knockdowns during the trip, but what do you identify as the low points, and the highlight of that experience?
Jesse Martin: The halfway point was probably both for me. The Azores, that was my antipodal point, I had to sail up there and back to make it a proper circumnavigation, and that’s where my family flew out to see me. When I left the Azores that was one of the low points. The climax and the anticlimax all together, sort of. The reason that it made it worse was that I was anxious to see my family but they were waiting for two weeks because I got slowed up getting there by light winds. And then we only got to talk for half an hour because they had to go get on a plane and go home, but I ended up staying in that area for about five days.

Jesse Martin Interview - SailNet Community
Old 09-05-2010, 20:31   #687

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by blgklr View Post
Obviously a lot of people sailed around the world at various distances. If you want to make an equal playing field you could add to the other rules that a distance equal to the circumferance of the planet has to be sailed. Roughly 24,902 miles.
That is already the rule, however the question is how to measure it? Point-to-point like the WSSRC, or by actual sea miles covered, like Jessica? It seems the difference can amount to thousands of miles.

The agreed circumference is 21600 nm (about 24800 normal miles). Jessica's route is only 18600 nm using great circle distances, but at the same time over 22300 nm in actual distance travelled according to the GPS tracking.
Old 09-05-2010, 20:44   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirophant View Post
That is already the rule, however the question is how to measure it? Point-to-point like the WSSRC, or by actual sea miles covered, like Jessica? It seems the difference can amount to thousands of miles.
For racing purposes (and that's obviously what WSSRC is primarily concerned with), it would make no sense to use actual sea miles covered. You wouldn't measure the Indianapolis 500 based on the actual road miles covered, so that someone taking the outside track would have a different finish line than someone taking the inside track, would you?

Of course this isn't a race, and the WSSRC isn't making the rules anyway, so I don't see why distance should be a rule at all. If someone sails around Antarctica and then does a bunch of loop de loops until their distance equals the circumference of the earth, have they sailed around the world? Why bother with distance at all? Either sailing around Antarctica is sailing around the world (and walking around the north pole is walking around the world), or it isn't. Throwing in a bunch of loop de loops (or touching the equator a couple times) doesn't change that.

The only rule that makes sense is that you have to touch two points which are completely opposite each other. The antipodal rule which Jesse Martin said was necessary "to make it a proper circumnavigation" more than half a dozen years ago.

What Jessica Watson did was amazing. She's probably the youngest person ever to sail solo around Antarctica. But it doesn't equal the achievement of Jesse Martin. Give her a world record. But not the same world record.
Old 10-05-2010, 00:24   #689
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Mate - here in Australia next week we will give her the welcome and adulation she so richly deserves, and we and she wont give a toss about Monday Morning Quarterbacks
Old 10-05-2010, 04:37   #690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Mate - here in Australia next week we will give her the welcome and adulation she so richly deserves, and we and she wont give a toss about Monday Morning Quarterbacks
Jesse Martin will be there to shake her hand, he is the 1st to acknowledge her great achievement. So why do the Monday Morning Quaterback persist?

Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world