Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2010, 19:34   #616
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbyfate View Post
She has sailed around the world, solo and unassisted and she is the youngest to have done so. I don't see how anyone can dispute the truth of that.
This is a thread to celebrate Jessica’s journey and to applaud her team.

But, I think we should refrain from making such definitive statements about “unassisted”

I do not think even Jessica would deny that she received substantial assistance in daily weather updates and routing, technical advice and constant encouragement from a well sponsored campaign.

Whether that type of daily remote assistance detracts from her accomplishment is only a matter of opinion. …In my mind… it does not!

I also believe we do her a disservice (however well meaning) by the constant comparing of her to others.

She has had a grand adventure and that is a great thing all by itself
Old 04-05-2010, 20:03   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think we should refrain from making such definitive statements about “unassisted”
Point well taken. I should not have included the word unassisted. Its meaning is certainly debatable and I have no interest in spurring any such debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
This is a thread to celebrate Jessica’s journey and to applaud her team.
Like nearly everyone here, I certainly celebrate and admire Jessica's remarkable accomplishments, but this thread is a little broader than that. From the message that started this thread:
Quote:
This thread has been created to discuss the sailing aspects of Jessica's journey.
Old 04-05-2010, 20:08   #618

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Agreed. I had doubts about conception and competence of the whole operation when she hit the freighter the first night out, after all the media hype. But...since then, she has made this huge voyage look deceptively simple. I have a lot of respect for her, and am reminded of how strong a 16 year-old who's focused can be. Few will have a higher peak in energy, reaction time or resilience after those young years, maybe up through late 20's perhaps. And how may that age are focused like that?

She has proved hereself a fine sailor and I hope we hear more good stuff from her as she matures into a woman. Congratulations, kiddo! Let me buy you a nice cup'o'tea.
Old 04-05-2010, 20:39   #619

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
I am really baffled by the news that Jessica's voyage falls short of the distance required, and see from the revised Sail World article that she actually knew that in advance of starting. She always seemed keen to stick to the rules so that she would have a de facto record even if it wasn't an official one. Why didn't she do the extra miles, I wonder? She might have rounded a more northerly island (Hawaii maybe?) instead of Kiritimati, it would have taken another three weeks or so (maybe four with doldrums) but she would still have finished within her 8 month food supply limit. It's very strange to get so close and then not dot the t's and cross the i's.
Old 04-05-2010, 21:35   #620

Who, or what, is Sail-World? Just a website, right? I really don't know, so ya'll fill me in. Otherwise, check this:
Doubt cast over Watson's world record attempt - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Where you'll find:
"Sail-World quoted John Reed, the secretary of the World Sailing Speed Record Council (WSSRC), as saying Watson's journey does not comply with the definition of around the world and bears no comparison with the achievement of Martin.
But when asked to confirm this was the case, Mr Reed told ABC News Online he made no such statement concerning Watson.
"The WSSRC does not know what route Jessica Watson has taken during her recent voyage," he said."

~
Old 04-05-2010, 21:56   #621

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
Sail-World quoted John Reed, the secretary of the World Sailing Speed Record Council (WSSRC), as saying Watson's journey does not comply with the definition of around the world and bears no comparison with the achievement of Martin.
Did ABC just make that up or are they reading some quote that the rest of us just aren't privy to ? I checked the Sail-World article as it was originally posted yesterday (I cached a copy) and don't even see his name in it.

Quote:
"The WSSRC does not know what route Jessica Watson has taken during her recent voyage," he said."
Right, the WSSRC has not been independently monitoring her progress. Sail-world also does not know what route she has taken and relied upon Jessica's reported positions.

Did he deny the statement:

Quote:
It is a matter of record that the WSSRC advised Jessica's team prior to her departure that her route would fall short of the RTW minimum distance.
It will be very interesting to see who is reporting honestly.

-Sven
Old 04-05-2010, 22:31   #622

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Please explain why this is important.

A 16 year old girl is completing a sailing adventure of over 23,000 miles. Solo, non-stop. She's nearing the end of a journey started on Ocjober 19th,

Give her credit of that.

Must we sit in our warm homes sucking on a single malt and pass judgement?

Please start another thread to discuss this.
Old 04-05-2010, 22:39   #623

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Please explain why this is important.

A 16 year old girl is completing a sailing adventure of over 23,000 miles. Solo, non-stop. She's nearing the end of a journey started on Ocjober 19th,

Give her credit of that.

Must we sit in our warm homes sucking on a single malt and pass judgement?

Please start another thread to discuss this.
Its only important to some of us if its important to her...we thought it was.

Maybe they have it all figured out correctly and are smarter then a lot of other people...I for one just want her happy with her results when its all said and done .....there is far worse things in life then missing a goal you thought you hit but find out you didn't, but still it would be a shame to miss by a short mark ....but few hit a goal of this magnitude to begin with so in that respect yes she succeeded in that...I hope it all works out for her record wise....She deserves it.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-05-2010, 22:43   #624

Boat: Mariner 32 ketch- Independence
Maybe this will help, from her website today-
THE FACTS ABOUT JESSICA’S VOYAGE

05-May-2010
On behalf of Jessica and her team, we appreciate the many enquiries we have received about Jessica’s journey and feel it appropriate to provide a formal response to the claims that Jessica has not travelled far enough to claim the World Speed Sailing Racing Council (WSSRC) record, for being the youngest person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world.

Firstly, it is very important to note that the WSSRC do not recognise any voyages from sailors under the age of 18. As such, Jesse Martin’s WSSR certificate of recognition cannot ever be challenged in the context of the WSSRC criteria. As a result of the WSSR decision to discontinue recognition of age related journeys, there is no official body to recognise Jessica’s feat and therefore no official body’s rules that need to be adhered to.

The facts are as follows.

Jessica has sailed a southern hemisphere solo circumnavigation. There are some basic key requirements that she must adhere to.

‘To sail around the world, a vessel must start from and return to the same point, must cross all meridians of longitude and must cross the Equator’.

Jessica has ticked all of these boxes.

Jessica has sailed the most challenging and treacherous oceans of the world, passing the four capes (Cape Horn, Cape Agulhas, Cape Leeuwin and the Cape of SE Tasmania) and crossed the Equator twice. She has sailed around the world, non-stop, solo, unassisted and when she completes the voyage, she will be the youngest to have done that, sailing almost 23,000 nautical miles in the process. We have official TracPlus data to confirm Jessica’s exact distance upon her return, which currently sits at 22,336 nautical miles.

Jessica has never intended to claim the WSSRC certificate of recognition. Jessica and all her team are well aware that the WSSRC do not recognise voyages for those under the age of 18. She has, however, always wanted to achieve her goal of sailing around the world non-stop, solo and unassisted before her 17th birthday and therefore be the youngest person in the world to have done so.

Please note that Jesse Martin (current youngest to sail solo around the world unassisted) and the UK’s Mike Perham (current youngest to sail around the world solo, assisted) will be at the finish line in Sydney to congratulate Jessica when she arrives.

Jessica has stated the route and information on her website right from the start and all of the facts of her route have been well documented for over 12 months now.

We are pleased to be able to formally respond to this now and hope this clarifies any concerns from her supporters.

We feel Jessica has every right to enjoy the impending accolades and celebrate being the youngest person to sail solo around the world, non-stop and unassisted, when she sails back into Sydney Harbour on the weekend of 15-16 May.

Today marks day 200 of Jessica’s voyage.
Old 04-05-2010, 22:53   #625

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Works for me

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-05-2010, 23:05   #626

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Juan Sailor View Post
Maybe this will help, from her website today-
As such, Jesse Martin’s WSSR certificate of recognition cannot ever be challenged in the context of the WSSRC criteria.
"in the context of the WSSRC criteria" sounds like lawyer speak.

If she isn't intending to imply that she is somehow breaking Jesse's record ...

Quote:
Jessica Watson has set her sights on beating Jesse’s achievement.
... (from About Jessica Watson | Jessica Watson) ... then there is no argument whatsoever with her accomplishments. She's a champion and doesn't need to claim what she hasn't done to deserve all our respect.

I wish I could be there too, to welcome her back into port.

-Sven
Old 04-05-2010, 23:10   #627

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Who else was on Pink Lady? No-one, right. So in my humble book that means "UNASSISTED"
Can anyone on this forum, honestly put up their hand and say they don't get weather information,routing advice etc: before they head out?
Because if you can your a "bloody idiot" The 1st rule of seamanship is to check the weather!!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 04-05-2010, 23:12   #628

here is a lot of photos of jessica including some recent at sea shots:

Jessica Watson | Solo sailor- Jessica Watson | The Daily Telegraph
Old 05-05-2010, 06:28   #629

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
When we get bogged down in playing with definitions of words, we get no where but in circles.
- - Her team made it clear - there are "no rules" as by the accredited record keeper - WSSR - they don't accept anybody under 18. Her accomplishment stands/speaks for itself and does not need to be in WSSR books.
- - "Unassisted" is a bad word to use in the modern age of satellites and instant communications. 50 years ago it was a simple definition as there wasn't any instantaneous communications and computerized modeling of weather, etc. I am sure she would not even attempt the same feat without any forms of communications or electronic on board equipment. But it is 2010 and all the long distance racers, etc., use the same sort of electronic and communications equipment be they singlehanders or have crew on board. So in today's world all that stuff is a "given" in such endeavors. To do otherwise would be extremely foolish and border on a suicide wish.
- - In this "brave new world" she stands first in her accomplishment - whether others do it differently is not the issue, Jesse did what she said she wanted to do and that alone is unique in this modern age of saying what you do not mean and doing what you did not say. Extra cheers for her on that point alone.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:24   #630

In my old age I've become more of a conservative traditionalist. Nevertheless, I applaud any non-steroid assisted batting achievements even though they lowered the pitcher's mound in 1969.

I think Jessica's voyage is consistent with and well within the spirit of the standard set by the 1968 London Sunday Times race, including the "unassisted" part. In the Times race you were allowed to have RDF and HF radio (many entrants didn't), use your engine to charge batteries, and receive mail from passing ships. Certainly the quantity and quality of available comunication and information has increased dramatically since then, but the 40+ year old tradition is that you should be allowed to take advantage of it.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world