Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 17:35   #601
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Wish I could be in Sydney, to see this historic achievement's finale.
I believe there's a slight chance that it will be covered on Ozzie and Kiwi television. Possibly.

TaoJones
Old 03-05-2010, 17:50   #602

As far as I can tell, the WSSRC definition of a circumnavigation does not require that you "round" any Capes at all.

The three Capes are simply a custom and tradition derived from the 1968 race, and with the exception of Cape Horn, the custom and tradition simply requires that you pass south of them. The WSSRC definition of circumnavigation is expressed exclusively in terms of start and end points, meridians, the equator, and the arbitrary 21,600 nm rule. Unless I'm missing something, you can do a WSSRC sanctioned circumnavigation by sailing through the Magellan Straits, passing between Agulhas and Good Hope, and sailing north of Australia. Jessica is doing it the customary and traditional way just like Robin Knox-Johnson.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 03-05-2010, 18:56   #603

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
just like Robin Knox-Johnson.

-Sven
Old 03-05-2010, 21:29   #604

Boat: Sabre 28 Mk1 "Shaba"
Jesse video off Tasmania

#!
Old 04-05-2010, 04:52   #605

Boat: Charter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
But would not it have been so much cooler if she stopped and saw some culture.
From her blog today: "I'm also desperate to do a bit of travelling. I know that sounds a bit crazy, but I mean the sort of traveling where you stop places and meet people!"
Old 04-05-2010, 07:22   #606

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Quote:
just like Robin Knox-Johnson.
Although Jessica achieved a marvelous thing, I wouldn't go as far as to compare her to someone who did it with no satellite weather forcasting, satellite telephone, GPS, navigation computers, and real time route planning team.

Robin Knox-Johnston only had a sextant, vague charts, and an old wooden boat...nothing like today's equipment.

But never-the-less, she accomplished something only few people ever do.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:38   #607

Boat: Charter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Although Jessica achieved a marvelous thing, I wouldn't go as far as to compare her to someone who did it with no satellite weather forcasting, satellite telephone, GPS, navigation computers, and real time route planning team.

Robin Knox-Johnston only had a sextant, vague charts, and an old wooden boat...nothing like today's equipment.
It's all in the perspective you choose...compared to charts, sextants, and chronometers, I don't think the technology of the last 50 years is all that significant.

Knox-Johnston had a sextant and chronometer. Didn't he have a shortwave radio, too? His voyage was nothing compared to those who sailed a century earlier without that equipment.

And charts! Aren't charts the most significant technological assistance created for sailors?

None of their voyages even come close to comparing to those of Cook, Columbus, the Polynesians, and so many other early sailors who really didn't have any accurate idea where they were or where they might end up. They couldn't rely on assitance from anyone. They really were totally on their own and the only sailors who could really claim "unassisted".
Old 04-05-2010, 08:25   #608

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sec906 View Post
None of their voyages even come close to comparing to those of Cook, Columbus, the Polynesians
He's got it by golly ! That's why it is inappropriate to say "just like", when it isn't at all.

-Sven
Old 04-05-2010, 10:37   #609

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Quote:
It's all in the perspective you choose...compared to charts, sextants, and chronometers, I don't think the technology of the last 50 years is all that significant.
Quote:
None of their voyages even come close to comparing to those of Cook, Columbus, the Polynesians, and so many other early sailors who really didn't have any accurate idea where they were or where they might end up.
None of the sailors you mentioned did a solo non-stop circumnavigation.

You don't think GPS, Satellite imagery, weather radar, navigation computers with chartplotters, and satellite phones with internet connection are all that significant compared with a sextant, chronometer, and charts created without satellite assistance?

There's really not much to say then....

-Dave

PS: Yes, Knox Johnston did also have a shortwave radio that worked occasionally.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:03   #610

OK, I was a little over the top in saying "just like" Robin Knox-Johnson, who had to start from and return to England. He also had to go over the side in the Atlantic and stuff cauking into his leaking keel joint. But I was talking mostly about the route in the southern hemisphere and the 3 Capes convention. I don't know whether Knox-Johnson rounded Good Hope in the WSSRC 'rounding a mark' sense. Probably he did, but I think he ran the Bass Strait instead of rounding Tasmania - it's one of the 5 Capes, but not one of the 3 great Capes that have become a 40 year tradition for solo non-stop circumnavigators.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 04-05-2010, 11:11   #611

Boat: Stevens 47
Quote:
And charts! Aren't charts the most significant technological assistance created for sailors?

None of their voyages even come close to comparing to those of Cook, Columbus, the Polynesians, and so many other early sailors who really didn't have any accurate idea where they were or where they might end up.
Actually Columbus DID have a chart and had a pretty good idea where he was going.

See Welcome to 1421.com. The chinese had done it ALL before anyone else
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14   #612

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Ya well ....none of them were as cute as Jessica

Now where were we ...

Any word as to what she is going to do?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:23   #613

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Wish I could be in Sydney, to see this historic achievement's finale.
We will be there....
Old 04-05-2010, 12:29   #614

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
We will be there....
Pictures or it didnt happen..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 04-05-2010, 17:08   #615

Quote:
As far as I can tell, the WSSRC definition of a circumnavigation does not require that you "round" any Capes at all.
You are absolutely correct. What had confused me was this statement from Jessica's website:
Quote:
There are a few key targets I must achieve to qualify for around the world status. The approximate distance is 23,000 nautical miles (about 38,000 kilometres). I must depart and arrive from the same port, cross all lines of longitude, cross the equator entering into the Northern Hemisphere at least once and round the southern landmarks of South America and South Africa.
I assumed she got the rounding requirements from the WSSRC, but obviously she did not. I don't think she's ever said where her requirements came from. Since the WSSRC has said they won't recognize the record regardless of whether she follows their rules, I can't see how any of this matters.

She has sailed around the world, solo and unassisted and she is the youngest to have done so. I don't see how anyone can dispute the truth of that.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world