Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2010, 05:32   #556

Boat: L42
If she never stops anywhere, does she need to check in? After all it was just a lengthy sail from her home port.

I wish her the best as she completes her remarkable journey.
Old 27-04-2010, 05:53   #557
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Yes, once she left the AEZ, she has gone international at least as far quarantine is concerned, I guess it is the same for customs and immigration.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-04-2010, 12:41   #558

Boat: Norseman 447
We live at the bottom of Tasmania "Dover" and have Storm Warnings forecast, Jess still has a battle on her hands, I personally would not want to be out there in a small boat and wish her all the best, She's one tough cookie!!!!!
Old 27-04-2010, 13:18   #559

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Jeanne Socrates is also in the same area. A few days ago Jessica was about 60 miles north west of Nereida.
Old 27-04-2010, 14:22   #560
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Jeanne Socrates is also in the same area. A few days ago Jessica was about 60 miles north west of Nereida.
Indeed . . . http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ica-39924.html

TaoJones
Old 27-04-2010, 17:40   #561

Australian sailors: Is Jessica going to go through the Bass Straight?
I thought her web site said she was going to go south of Tasmania.
I'd encourage everyone who hasn't seen the weather forecast, look at PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers and animate the forecast. I've never seen lows at 40-50 knots happening with such regularity.
You can check out her position on her web site and this is going to be interesting to see how they route her.
Anyone who can sail 24/7 in those conditions I'd consider hardcore.
Old 28-04-2010, 02:42   #562

Her intention was always to go south around Tasmania and her latest news on her website indicates that this is still the plan.

I am told that Bass Straight is not a nice place to be in heavy weather. I would like to see her with some more sea room (from the West Coast) but it is a little late for that now.

Thursday and Friday seem a little better .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 28-04-2010, 05:16   #563

Boat: Sabre 28 Mk1 "Shaba"
Hello All,
JW just posted a new blog. She is laying to a drogue, with the wind dying down a bit, but the seas at 8-12 meters, and rising. They are just going to ride things out until there is enough of a window to go around the bottom of Tassie. Bass Strait too dangerous.Took another knockdown when her tiller lashings slipped, below 90 degrees, A dishwash liquid container got loose, and now everything is lemony fresh she says. (And I might add probably slippery as hell. what a mess to try to clean up ). Re, Jeanne Socrates. A bit puzzling I admit, but maybe her team doesn't want her attention diverted? But we all know the law of the sea, with both cruisers in bad conditions and close by, you would think they would be in contact. I wonder how Jeanne Socrates is doing? Nothing on her website yet. Jamie Dunross crossed the Bass Strait and is headed to Sydney. He talks about going through a severe hailstorm at sea.

Richard in Maryland
Old 28-04-2010, 17:55   #564

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticatarcher View Post
We live at the bottom of Tasmania "Dover" and have Storm Warnings forecast, Jess still has a battle on her hands, I personally would not want to be out there in a small boat and wish her all the best, She's one tough cookie!!!!!
Correct nauticatarcher, we are sitting in the Marina at Kettering and at the moment we have 47knts on the wind instrument. Its uncomfortable here, I would hate to think what its like out in the ocean. She has got such spirit!!!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 29-04-2010, 07:21   #565

Update,

Jesse just posted. Took in the drogue (somehow I think regular drogue, not Jordan drogue), and is on the move again. It looks like she is making a run for it to get around Tasmania before the next big low. Godspeed Jesse!

Richard
Old 29-04-2010, 08:57   #566

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Go Jess!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 29-04-2010, 14:32   #567

The forecast for the next couple of days looks good for a reasonable run down the west coast of Tassie (although I wonder about the swells).

After that, turn north and begin the short home run. Stay safe Jessica until Sydney Heads is astern!
Old 30-04-2010, 22:26   #568

Interesting Article

The news stories are getting interesting!
Frustrated Jessica Watson forced to sail further off course | Courier Mail

Check out the photo. It says source "supplied". I haven't seen it anywhere else yet. Looks nasty. One article said the winds are going up toward 55 knots again.

Richard
Old 01-05-2010, 04:05   #569

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Interesting. While Jessica has been holding to the west of Tasmania it looks like Jeanne Socrates has sailed right through the Bass Strait. At least her latest position report shows her exiting the east side.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:21   #570

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
How anyone can bash JW is astounding, what a girl. Found a dream and is following it. Go Jess - ...... so close!
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world