Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 25-02-2010, 18:04   #496

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Heaving to, setting a sea anchor, or deploying a drogue are things to be done when you find yourself in extreme heavy wearher, and all else has failed. It's much more prudent to enjoy the services of a weather router and avoid conditions that would require a drogue.
I doubt that Jessie has the muscle strength to retrieve a drogue once deployed.

Perhaps you could expand on your experience as a singlerhandler in heavy weather so the rest of us would be better able to judge Jessie.

Old 25-02-2010, 18:12   #497

I've never sailed single hande around the world. Good on her for attempting it. H

Old 26-02-2010, 11:31   #498
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I had to give up on figuring it out, and use my trusty laptop to find out what a "Boffin" is. In case anyone else wonders:

From Wikipedia:
In the slang of the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, India and South Africa, boffins are scientists, medical doctors, engineers, and other people engaged in technical or scientific research. The word 'boffin' (or 'boff'—often as an insult) can also be used to refer to any particularly clever person. The closest American equivalent is "egghead".
Originally, armed forces slang for a technician or research scientist. The origins and etymology of "boffin" are otherwise obscure.

I quite like this new, for me, word. I bet many of us are boffins about a topic or two. And to think, I first read it as a derogatory word, which was not at all right.
Old 26-02-2010, 12:36   #499

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I wood think Egghead is not quit the closest....but "book worm"..slightly derogatory but still respectful of dedication to their goal.

Egghead is usually used as a friendly term toward someone with "dense thinking" at a moment of "brain fart" or a laps in concintration. ...Surly not the case with Doctors , Engineers or Scientists....Although all of us are capibal of Egghead moments.

I have often been an Egghead in my life...never a "book worm"...my status in life shows it.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 26-02-2010, 12:52   #500

Boat: Cheoy Lee 48 sloop
AMAZING and good JOB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
I had to give up on figuring it out, and use my trusty laptop to find out what a "Boffin" is. In case anyone else wonders:

From Wikipedia:
In the slang of the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, India and South Africa, boffins are scientists, medical doctors, engineers, and other people engaged in technical or scientific research. The word 'boffin' (or 'boff'—often as an insult) can also be used to refer to any particularly clever person. The closest American equivalent is "egghead".
Originally, armed forces slang for a technician or research scientist. The origins and etymology of "boffin" are otherwise obscure.

I quite like this new, for me, word. I bet many of us are boffins about a topic or two. And to think, I first read it as a derogatory word, which was not at all right.
GOSH thanks!...Thought that term Boffin flew over my head in a rush because I am a sailing newbie..Thanks so much for the translation...I'm in AWE of Jessica! GO!
Old 26-02-2010, 20:40   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Heaving to, setting a sea anchor, or deploying a drogue are things to be done when you find yourself in extreme heavy wearher, and all else has failed. It's much more prudent to enjoy the services of a weather router and avoid conditions that would require a drogue.
I doubt that Jessie has the muscle strength to retrieve a drogue once deployed.

Perhaps you could expand on your experience as a singlerhandler in heavy weather so the rest of us would be better able to judge Jessie.
Jessica has a series drogue on board and has experience using it, although not necessarily in storm conditions (not that she has told us anyhow). There is a photo of her using it on the winch on her Magic Roundabout trip from Cairns to Brisbane trip back on 7th Oct 08 - she mentions that winching it back in isn't as much fun as letting it out.

Jessicawatson.com.au: October 2008

Its worth trawling through her archives on the above site just to see how incredibly well she has prepared herself. Its no accident that her and the boat is doing so well.
Old 26-02-2010, 21:11   #502

I agree, her preperation was outstanding! As is her continuing positive atitude.

I've never deployed a drogue so I was wondering; in heany weather would the drogue tangle with the windvane steering's rudder?
Also, sometime tie a 60 ft line to a 2gal. bucket and toss it overboard when traveling at 6 knots. That 20lbs of water and bucket takes a lot of effort to get the bucket back on board.
Old 26-02-2010, 22:28   #503

Boat: 44Ft Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I agree, her preperation was outstanding! As is her continuing positive atitude.

I've never deployed a drogue so I was wondering; in heany weather would the drogue tangle with the windvane steering's rudder?
Also, sometime tie a 60 ft line to a 2gal. bucket and toss it overboard when traveling at 6 knots. That 20lbs of water and bucket takes a lot of effort to get the bucket back on board.
Specifications for the JSD are very specific. The first part, attached to the boat is a bridle. The last part is about 10KG of chain, attached to the far end of the drogue line. The last drogue is within a metre of the chain.

There seems two alternate methods of deployment. The first is; deploy the chain first, so as the chain is deployed (to one side) the first drogues in then start to pull out line at an equal speed to the vessel's progress.

The second method (and this one seems to be preferred by USCG), is to deploy the boat-end of the drogue first. As soon as half the drogue is deployed the other half, with the chain attached will be pulled overboard.

In this way only half the drogue is deployed at boat-speed.

Dunno. I guess experimenting with both methods is the ticket.

And No! I disagree that a drogue should be deployed only when the fan is looking really brown, unless you're racing.

Why not toss it over when the wind is climbing through 35Kts and kicking up a big sea? Why fight when you don't have to?

And when the front or system has passed while you've been comfortably ensconced below with a good book, you haul in the drogue and carry on.

Remember, Jessica's world turn upside down in 40ish Kts and a confused sea.

Bugger that. I'd rather let Mr Jordan's genius take over.

I'm going to attach a solid steel trace to my chain-weight, and on the end of that a very large hook with a tasty piece of bait. If something large and silly enough hoves by and takes the bait, so to speak, then my drogue will have extra power and I'll get a fresh meal or seven. :--))
Old 26-02-2010, 23:08   #504

Dpex
Thank you for the explanation. You people in NZ sail in a completely different environment that I ever have.
regards John
Old 01-03-2010, 06:46   #505
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laser
Drogue

Hi,

The drogue pictured is not a Jordan Series Drogue.
Jessicawatson.com.au: October 2008

Jessica has a Jordan Series drogue with a Spectra rode, that is another type of
drogue. Appears to be connected to 3 strand line.

Thanks,
Dave Pelissier
Ace Sailmakers
Old 01-03-2010, 20:56   #506
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jessica is into the Indian Ocean and heading north into the lower latitudes to escape the worst of a passing weather front. I like to center the map on her site on the South Pole and zoom out to get the full view of the planet. For me, it really shows where she's been, and what lies ahead of her.

She's doing a magnificent job, I think.
Old 01-03-2010, 20:56   #507
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I thought some might like to read right here - and thus eliminate future questioning - that Jessica is once again headed north. It seems a solid set of reasoning and logic, and it is not hidden, vague, or obscured. Just the opposite, there is no avoidance of the topic in her postings as you can see in this extract:

"Time Flying By and Heading North
Tuesday, March 02, 2010"
"... You've probably noticed on the tracker that Ella's Pink Lady has been headed north again over the last few days. As usual, we've headed to lower latitudes to avoid the worst of a weather system passing to the south. The wind is expected to rise a bit as it passes later today, but it shouldn't be too uncomfortable. ... "
Old 14-03-2010, 13:38   #508

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
I think she's gonna make it. Good for her. Update from her site..

10-Mar-2010

Today marks day 144 of Jessica’s solo circumnavigation, as she sailed past the 16,500 nautical mile (nm) mark of her journey, less than 6,000 nm to her final destination of Sydney Harbour.
Jessica is currently progressing east in the Indian Ocean with the code 0 sail up. This is a large sail used in lighter downwind conditions.
Cape Leeuwin is the next landmark, which is located on the most Southern Westerly tip of Australia, where the Indian and Southern Oceans meet. This is approximately 3,500 nm from Jessica’s current position
Yesterday, Jessica managed to collect 4 litres of rainwater from the mainsail and dodger. For those concerned about the water stocks, rest assured this was more a bonus than a necessity.
She celebrated the capture of rainwater last evening Jessica, enjoying a mix of vegetables for dinner, with her customary dose of chocolate for dessert
“It’s a nice, healthy balanced meal,” Jessica joked.
Having been sailing for over 20 weeks and now edging closer to the west coast of Australia, the excitement of Jessica’s return continues to build. We have had many requests from media and supporters seeking an estimated arrival time back in Sydney.
However, at this stage, it is premature to predict any date, as Jessica still has a long way to go and is just focusing on one day at a time.
-END-

Old 14-03-2010, 21:48   #509

Boat: Pearson 281
Go Jesse Go!
Old 15-03-2010, 07:38   #510

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Shes making good time,looks like shes averaged about 114 mpd so far which is pretty darn good,nice to see her collecting water. keep up the good work Jess.
Steve.

Tags
jessica watson, round the world

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: