Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 15:11   #466

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiGuy View Post
Re. Jessica's intentions, she has said on at least two occasions that the record is just an excuse and a way to get sponsorship.
That's true, but I think it underplays how meticulous she has been in ensuring that her planned route meets the conditions for an authentic single-handed, non-stop, unassisted circumnavigation.

If she completes successfully as planned, she will have met every criterion set by the WSSRC for a single-handed, non-stop, unassisted circumnavigation, and will ONLY miss out on being officially recognised because of the WSSRC's recent suspension of all age-related records.

I think that (popular) recognition of the authenticity of her circumnavigation is probably quite important to her, since her own blog is entitled "Youngest solo round the world ever!".
Old 17-02-2010, 12:12   #467

The sponsorship issue, and it's dependence on records, also explains the apparantly unseemly haste with which Abby Sunderland brought a yacht aqnd departed on her voyage.

Will anyone sponsor me on a trip to the moon please because I'd really like to go. I could write a book and all. "You dont feel overweight in weightlessness" is my working title.
Good luck to them both, they're very impressive young people, but I find something unsettling about the thinking underlying this sort of venture.
Old 17-02-2010, 13:29   #468

Boat: Bristol 34
Impressed as I am with young Jessica's skills and courage as a sailor, the more I read of her adventure the more impressed I become with her as a person.

While she certainly had a great deal of help preparing for her venture (whatever the end result may be - or the "record" may reflect) she had a goal and set about acheiving it in a fashion any Harvard MBA should envy.

She has marketed herself professionally, prepared herself and Pink Lady professionally and conducted herself along the way as a true professional.

I revel in the success she has acheived so far. Especially in the face of her detractors, both here and elsewhere.

InfinateBlue - I will give you $25 and two cans of baby blue Krylon if you paint my company logo on your spaceship.
Old 17-02-2010, 16:00   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteblue View Post
The sponsorship issue, and it's dependence on records, also explains the apparantly unseemly haste with which Abby Sunderland brought a yacht aqnd departed on her voyage.

Will anyone sponsor me on a trip to the moon please because I'd really like to go. I could write a book and all. "You dont feel overweight in weightlessness" is my working title.
Good luck to them both, they're very impressive young people, but I find something unsettling about the thinking underlying this sort of venture.
I would suggest you read all of Jessica's blog archives from the beginning to get a sense of how she has gone about getting this whole thing together

Jessicawatson.com.au

plus informed articles such as Don MacIntyre's

Article

and good interviews such as

Going Solo

You may possibly form a different opinion.
Old 17-02-2010, 16:07   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
While she certainly had a great deal of help preparing for her venture (whatever the end result may be - or the "record" may reflect) she had a goal and set about acheiving it in a fashion any Harvard MBA should envy.
She has re-written the book on how to get big things done starting from next to nothing except the desire.

Probably will become the topic of many an MBA research project!

You have to wonder how many more Jessica Watsons there are out there that we don't hear about. She has certainly set the bar very high for what 16 year olds can achieve.
Old 17-02-2010, 17:50   #471

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
As the father of two fine young men, I feel somewhat qualified to speak of today's youth.

In my younger son's generation (21 years old) I have seen very little to impress me in the past few years. Kids in the military aside, there appears a pervasive "entitlement" mentality among youngsters raised in the 90's and early 00s when every child was "special" and all got a trophy for simply showing up. Computer games seem to take priority over outdoor activities, many are downright lazy, dependant and have no goal orientation whatsoever.

Of course this is not universal and based solely on my observations of a select group of middle class and upper middle class kids I know of both American and S. African families. However, my observations may resonate with others.

Now I am very proud of my two sons, both currently serving their country in a very difficult and challenging time in history. Yet my wife and I worked very hard to steer them on a poductive life course.

To see a young woman such as Jessica so focused and driven, not to mention courageous and self reliant, is a breath of fresh air. Mr. & Mrs. Watson, my hat if off to you both for raising such fine young lady. I only hope others of her generation will see her for the role model that she is.

"The thinking underlying this sort of venture" may be unsettling, but at least these two young women made goals and achieved them.
Old 17-02-2010, 21:08   #472

Quote:
... but I find something unsettling about the thinking underlying this sort of venture.

I don't get it. What's unsettling about it?
Old 21-02-2010, 17:22   #473

Boat: Charter
Cape of Good Hope

Jessica expects to reach the Cape of Good Hope this week.

Jessicawatson.com.au
Old 21-02-2010, 18:56   #474

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Despite any of the above criticisms, after witnessing Australia Day deteriorate into and excuse for adolescents to engage in alcoholism and anti-social behaviour, I totally admire Jessica’s efforts and the example she is setting.

From her Latest Blog - Almost Around the Cape and Why I am Sailing Around the World

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/_blog/Official_Jessica_Watson_Blog/post/Almost_Around_the_Cape_and_Why_I_am_Sailing_Around _the_World/

Monday, February 22, 2010

So yes, I hope that part of what I'm doing out here is proving that we shouldn't judge by appearance and our own expectations. I want the world to know exactly what 'little girls' and young people are actually capable of!

But enough of that, on another subject I managed to cut my knee on something Today. A little bit of blood (pink and red do not look good together!). But nothing at all too serious, which made me realize how well I have done so far with the health and injury side of things. All the salt water has never once given my skin any grief (not hard to guess why not - thanks to Ella Bache!)and as time goes on I'm even managing to give myself less bruises.

Everyone's been telling me about Torah Bright and her amazing gold medal effort in snowboarding for Australia at the winter Olympics. I know I'm a bit behind the times, as news sometimes takes a while to reach me out here, but I'm just going to say wow and congratulations to Torah!

Ok, that's more than enough for today. I'm really not doing a very good job of pacing myself am I?!

Jesse
Old 22-02-2010, 04:07   #475

Boat: Sabre 28 Mk1 "Shaba"
Hello ,
I would like to second "Kiwi Guy", and also stress the need for a change in the popular culture that promotes binge drinking, and all sorts of stupid behavior among young people. Plenty of examples here in the US, with stupid pimp and ho "culture".
Aus seems to have some similar problems, example, the youtube popularity of two drunk teen age girls in bikinis singing on top of a croc trap in the middle of a river.
Anybody who encourages people to get outdoors and have a real adventure of discovery has my vote. To look at JWs evolution, go to these links. They are sorted newest to oldest. Jesse Watson is proof that all is not lost!

Richard in Maryland
Old 22-02-2010, 05:13   #476
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
It is all about Adventure!

Personally I am glad that they have done away with age related records, but that takes nothing away from what this young girl is doing.

To me, the real heroes are those behind the scenes who gave her the boat, supported her when she had a shaky start and believed that;….. rekindling the spirit of Adventure is a noble cause, that should be encouraged in youth.

Whatever happens, Jessica is a very positive influence within her age group and her active supporters are doing good things
Old 22-02-2010, 05:15   #477
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInMd View Post
Aus seems to have some similar problems, example, the youtube popularity of two drunk teen age girls in bikinis singing on top of a croc trap in the middle of a river.
Could only find a photo - anyone gotta link to video?

Quote:
Anybody who encourages people to get outdoors and have a real adventure of discovery has my vote.
Me too
Old 22-02-2010, 14:38   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInMd View Post
Anybody who encourages people to get outdoors and have a real adventure of discovery has my vote. To look at JWs evolution, go to these links. They are sorted newest to oldest. Jesse Watson is proof that all is not lost!

Richard in Maryland
[LIST][*]Jessica Watson Official Website[*]Meeting a Pink Lady
The "Meeting a Pink Lady" blog compares nicely with Jessica's own version of the same day
Cleared Norfolk Island

A young lady going places!
Old 22-02-2010, 15:43   #479

Boat: Cheoy Lee 48 sloop
Goooooo Girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Ok, out of the loop here so fill me in. What day is she going to make the u-turn south? Have I missed it?

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, more fun than going faster than hull speed. Everything hums, the mast, the sails, the helm in your hands, even the deck beneath your feet, and the boat is totally in her element.

Former nay say er, now resigned to be a "go jessica" girl,
Erika
I say Kudos to this young woman...yes GO, Go. Go...did they stop her? I agree. The day my yacht was flying with wind is my best memory and it is posted here, It was amazing! I loved it ! Better than Chesapeake Bay sailing..like times 100!
Old 22-02-2010, 21:33   #480

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Another take, from todays smh.com.au

Jessica Watson | round the world solo sailor

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world