Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 02:37   #226

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

6000nm at sea alone is a lot more than most of her critics have done I would guess.

Good luck with the Capes from here on in Jess.
Now Sven, can you argue with that??

Go Jessica.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 10-12-2009, 06:25   #227

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Now Sven, can you argue with that??
I think you must have meant to address that to someone else ?!?

Unfortunately I can't address the rationale for that conclusion unless the moderators allow me to deviate from the rules of this thread.

-Sven
Old 10-12-2009, 07:55   #228

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt gay rum View Post
Question : After she reaches Cape Horn and heading for Cape Town what are the seas like between the Capes?? I know depends on the fronts ets.. but in general... And are the seas as the same in Cape Town like seas in Cape Horn...
No, I don't think the seas are the same. Though the waves do travel around the world uninterrupted down there, so maybe you can say they are the same waves. The higher latitude Cape Horn and east of will be the roughest I think. I am just going by what I have read, no experience with the capes myself.

estarzinger said this about the cape horn area-
The winds are alternately from the NW before a front, then switch suddenly to SW after the front, and then die away to nothing for about 6 hours until they start up again from the N before the next front. 30% force 7 and above is about right.

THere is typically no ice right around the horn, you usually have to go quite a ways south there to get ice. BUT around South Georgia, a bit further east at the ame latitude, there can be quite a bit of ice.

Another danger area, that is not as well known or discussed is further east around the kerguelen islands - typicaly bad weather and nasty seas there. We have known quite a few boats get dismasted there.
-estarzinger

So it seems further east of the horn there will be more rough conditions but then hopefully it will smooth out for her. I don't envy this part of the trip for her, but she has done a fine job to this point. She seems pretty well prepared and definitely focused for the challenge. It will be nice to hear of the types of storm tactics she employs.

Godspeed Pink Lady
Erika

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 10-12-2009, 08:14   #229
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

From her website:
Quote:
Part 3 – Cape to Cape
Once around the base of South America it’s due north for some calmer weather and a short rest. As the voyage is non-stop I won’t be pulling into port, so calmer seas and refuge behind land will feel like a holiday. The track will take me close to the Falkland Islands, most probably to the East.
This is a good plan, I think. It will allow her to leave the Southern Ocean for a respite. She may actually choose to stay in the South Atlantic until she needs to make some southing to clear the Cape of Good Hope. At the very least, she can remain in the South Atlantic until she's ready to subject her vessel to the Southern Ocean once again.

TaoJones
Old 10-12-2009, 09:41   #230

You can do a "circumnavigation" by sailing around Antarctica exclusively in the Southern Ocean - and people have done it. However, I believe the rules for the classic circumnavigation record books such as Jessica’s attempt require that she ‘round’ the 3 capes. Rounding a cape is defined (I think) as 5 degrees north of the cape’s latitude in each of it’s adjacent oceans. Good Hope (Agulhas) is less than 35 degrees south, so after rounding the Horn it would be unnecessary and foolish to spend more time in the Furious 50s or Roaring 40s than you have to.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 10-12-2009, 10:00   #231
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
You can do a "circumnavigation" by sailing around Antarctica exclusively in the Southern Ocean - and people have done it. However, I believe the rules for a classic circumnavigation record attempt such as Jessica’s require that she ‘round’ the 3 capes. Rounding a cape is defined (I think) as 5 degrees north of the cape’s latitude in each of it’s adjacent oceans. Good Hope (Agulhas) is less than 35 degrees south, so after rounding the Horn it would be unnecessary and foolish to spend more time in the Furious 50s or Roaring 40s than you have to.
Well, hopefully Jessica won't try to sail "... 5 degrees north of the cape's latitude..." slomo.

I believe that once the "youngest around" was no longer officially recognized, it was up to Jessica and her team to set their own rules. They have adopted the old rules, however, so it's a distinction without a difference.

The idea of a rounding of Antarctica being a de facto circumnavigation is the reason for the requirement of including a crossing of the equator during the voyage. And the reason Jessica can't opt for a Panama Canal transit is that she has chosen to make it both non-stop and unassisted. Using the Canal would violate both of those restrictions, I believe.

Here is the description of her planned voyage once she clears Agulhas:
Quote:
Part 6 – Southern Ocean to Home
From South Africa it’s the vastness of the Southern Ocean. Despite the next continent being Australia there is a lot of sailing to be done. Over 4,000 nautical miles (direct track) of open and often unforgiving seas. Can’t wait. You can have good and bad days in the Southern Ocean, but every one will be memorable.
Entering Australian waters will be a great feeling. Thousands of miles at sea and almost home. Given Australia is the largest island in the world it will take some time to get from Western Australia to my home port of Sydney.
South East Cape is Tasmania’s most southern landmark. From here I head north to the mainland and on to Sydney Harbour. I know I will never be able to prepare myself for the feeling of returning home to family and friends. I am sure that part of my voyage will feel like the longest.
TaoJones
Old 10-12-2009, 10:16   #232

Yes, now that I think about it. It would be adviseable to be 5 degrees north at some point before and after but not during the rounding of a cape.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
Old 10-12-2009, 15:00   #233
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
I think she will be fine in the SO. The following is not a criticism of JW, just my explanation of why I think she will do OK in the higher latitudes.

She has settled into the solo aspects of sailing quite well judging from her blogs and she will be getting to really know her boat by now.

She will be easing herself into the SO and it well past a mental point of no return (perhaps that occurred as soon as she left Sydney Harbour - who can tell).

She has excellent weather routing and this will play a major part in reducing the severity of the SO weather patterns or at least the amount of time she will be exposed to the worst weather.

And lastly (and most importantly to my mind), she is not alone (except physically). She has good contact with her team and can share the decision making process of what to do when. Of course she will be making local on board decisions of sail plan, eating and rest etc but she doesn't have to make the big decisions of which way to go weather wise. These can be thought out by land based team with all the input of a range of weather forecasters. So as such she alone is not making all the calls and therefore doesn't suffer the stress of having to be responsible for the decisions or not being able to talk the decisions over with others.

I am sure this will ease her SO legs although we know that it will probably be tough regardless.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 15-12-2009, 13:22   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Ocean Girl, you have to understand Aussie media. They thrive on negative stories.
I just saw my favourite media headline of her journey so far, heading a story about a quite beautiful blog post she made about solitude and loneliness in the south pacific;

"Teen solo Sailor Jessica Watson Spots Bit of White Plastic."

Right up there with my previous favourite:

"Jessica Watson More Hated than Robert Mugabe?"

Teen solo sailor Jessica Watson spots bit of white plastic | Herald Sun

Jessicawatson.com.au: Lucky Not Lonely!

More hated than Robert Mugabe? | Sunshine Coast News | Local News in Sunshine Coast | The Sunshine Coast Daily
Old 17-12-2009, 02:57   #235
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Just a quick heads up; JW is now below 40 S. To my mind, a significant milestone and although Wx is currently mild, she seems ready to rise to the challenge of heavier conditions.

I was interested to note that she took a trip up the mast just because..... Not sure if I would have done so but full marks to her for doing so.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 17-12-2009, 05:59   #236

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Like I have said before, you Aussies make some mighty fine sailors

I think it was a good idea to go aloft in good conditions, she may have to under stress. A trial run could weed out problems, not to mention checking the rig out. Having said that, I have gone aloft offshore and cannot imagine doing it while solo... shivers me timbers just thinking about it!

Anyone have a ETA for the Horn?
Erika
Old 17-12-2009, 11:18   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I was interested to note that she took a trip up the mast just because..... Not sure if I would have done so but full marks to her for doing so.
It definitely wasn't "just because"... She was doing an all-over boat and rigging check before hitting the colder rougher part of the trip. Great photo on her blog from the top looking down at an empty boat - spooky...

She's ahead of schedule still I think, so ETA at Cape Horn is probably around the first week of 2010.

http://youngestround.blogspot.com/20...aring-40s.html
Old 17-12-2009, 12:09   #238
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
It definitely wasn't "just because"... She was doing an all-over boat and rigging check before hitting the colder rougher part of the trip...
A “just because” trip up the mast would have been an immature/childish daredevil prank, unworthy of a prudent skipper, and unworthy of our admiration.
Her “overall inspection” demonstrated basic prudent seamanship, which shouldn’t be overly impressive in a solo circumnavigator.

Old 17-12-2009, 12:30   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Her “overall inspection” demonstrated basic prudent seamanship, which shouldn’t be overly impressive in a solo circumnavigator.
Absolutely true, and I doubt other solo circumnavigators would be overly impressed.

But there are a lot of people for whom the idea of being a solo circumnavigator is impressive in and of itself, and perhaps a trip up the mast is just one visible aspect of that.
Old 17-12-2009, 13:01   #240
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
Absolutely true, and I doubt other solo circumnavigators would be overly impressed.

But there are a lot of people for whom the idea of being a solo circumnavigator is impressive in and of itself, and perhaps a trip up the mast is just one visible aspect of that.
Absolutely true.

Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world