Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2012, 00:45   #1

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Jessica Watson Movie Announced.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...820-24i6t.html

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 04:31   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Jessica Watson Movie Announced.

Thanks for the update - sounds interesting
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 05:39   #3

will it cover the bit where she forgot to turn on her radar proximity alarm, and hit a tanker, and lost her mast? or the bit where she didn't complete an "official circumnavigation" by cutting a corner?

Or will it just be happy words?

Just asking!
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 05:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
will it cover the bit where she forgot to turn on her radar proximity alarm, and hit a tanker, and lost her mast? or the bit where she didn't complete an "official circumnavigation" by cutting a corner?

Just asking!
Hmm... just for the record, the tanker and mast bit didn't actually happen during the circumnavigation and as for not completing an "official circumnavigation" - well words fail me!

Any criticism on that front would only be creditable if it comes from one who has completed their own "official circumnavigation" - preferably solo!

Just saying!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-08-2012, 07:15   #5
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

This thread will be locked in short order if the tone does not remain civil.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 11:12   #6

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Anyone sailing successfully through the southern ocean, gets my respect. Also any who sailed there but didn't make it I prefer warmer climes. I'll see the movie.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 11:45   #7

I'm sorry, my bad. Due respect to what she actually accomplished is granted. I'm just a little jaded by the media machine which followed her, and the spin which followed her.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 15:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

She has achieved more than almost anyone here, probably everyone here, and yes there were a couple of mistakes along the way. Respect is due. If you dont like her or the story or the media, your best protest is to not pay any money to see the movie. Otherwise lets celebrate that a movie is being made about sailing, that in itself must be a good thing
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 12:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post

Just asking!
As she made that incident the 4 page preface to her book, I think there's a good chance it'll be front and centre.
Noztradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 17:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw

Just asking!
Haters gonna hate. She might not have a certificate and such, but to say she didn't circumnavigate .....
She isn't an official record holder.
She is however still bad***.
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 18:47   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Good on Jessica and her movie. Good on sailing for the expected positive exposure the movie may bring. Good on Jessica for her book and making some money out of it.

Having said all that...

What if she hadn't had the collision and hadn't done a whole circumnavigation and, oh besides, wasn't a girl?

Not trying to knock anyone but Jessica has had zero influence on me, my sailing, my life plans etc., etc...

I get concerned when folks who only know "celebrities" from websites and books over play the relevance of what that "celebrity" has to say or does about anything.

I know I should get knocked for this but the western world has turned the king's court jester (basically all entertainers and sports-persons) into something way more relevant than just simple entertainment.

As my Dad used to say, "Even Hedy Lammar squats to pee."

It is a shame we are so starved for entertainment and "leadership" that these largely uneducated folks have such influence on what people think.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 01:28   #12

I see it very simply.

JW has completed a solo non stop unassisted circumnavigation. She stands beside the handful or so of other sailors who have done that.

It is a remarkable achievement (for anyone) and she is deserving of the same recognition and respect that I have for the other great sailors who can claim the same achievement . I would be surprised if other sailors saw it differently - but then again, I am often surprised by what others think!

I'm not so sure about her spin team and on-shore support team but that in no way reflects badly on her feat.
Old 22-08-2012, 02:52   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Good on Jessica and her movie. Good on sailing for the expected positive exposure the movie may bring. Good on Jessica for her book and making some money out of it.

Having said all that...

What if she hadn't had the collision and hadn't done a whole circumnavigation and, oh besides, wasn't a girl?

Not trying to knock anyone but Jessica has had zero influence on me, my sailing, my life plans etc., etc...

I get concerned when folks who only know "celebrities" from websites and books over play the relevance of what that "celebrity" has to say or does about anything.

I know I should get knocked for this but the western world has turned the king's court jester (basically all entertainers and sports-persons) into something way more relevant than just simple entertainment.

As my Dad used to say, "Even Hedy Lammar squats to pee."

It is a shame we are so starved for entertainment and "leadership" that these largely uneducated folks have such influence on what people think.
Chichester, Knox Johnston, Lewis, Tabarly, Montessier, Serge Testa, Jessica Watson, Bruce Arms (look him up) and the Smeetons. They are just a few names I respect and that inspire me in the sailing world.

Just like Sainz, Kankunnen, Biasion and Vatenen (particularly Vatenen in the Peugeot up Pikes Peak see Below) inspire me in Rallying and Rossi and Doohan in Motorcycles.

I find the more I know and do, the deeper the respect for others I have.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:09   #14

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Chichester, Knox Johnston, Lewis, Tabarly, Montessier, Serge Testa, Jessica Watson, Bruce Arms (look him up) and the Smeetons. They are just a few names I respect and that inspire me in the sailing world.

Just like Sainz, Kankunnen, Biasion and Vatenen (particularly Vatenen in the Peugeot up Pikes Peak see Below) inspire me in Rallying and Rossi and Doohan in Motorcycles.

I find the more I know and do, the deeper the respect for others I have.
Really? I grew up reading many of those authors and actually personally welcomed backed Sergio to Brisbane on the day when I was a working nautical teenager. All the television crews were telling him to slow down down. HaHa! A true sailor, Sergio!

For the rest of the forum readers, check out his boat in the museum now and then come back with the questions about AIS, radar and all the other **** deemed necessary.

And then come back with the important questions about:

DR
sails (not filters)
sextants (not HP)
water colour / depth changes (not C-Maps vs whaever)
variation / deviation (WOW! Who ever asked about that in the last 10 years?????, instead of marina charges and monthly cruising costs)

Whatever... The olderlies will kill you for it anyway....

Just go for it!!!!
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 07:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Chichester, Knox Johnston, Lewis, Tabarly, Montessier, Serge Testa, Jessica Watson, Bruce Arms (look him up) and the Smeetons. They are just a few names I respect and that inspire me in the sailing world. ...............
I realize your list wasn't exclusive or exhaustive but I reckon you would be happy to add Cottee, Sanders, Byth, Ridgway, Hiscock, Hicks and so on.

All are (were) exceptional sailors in various ways and everyone of them has influenced the way I think in one manner or another.