Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2013, 21:49   #1

I wonder what happened?

Man's body located in water 22 miles from Atlantic Beach | firstcoastnews.com
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 22:07   #2

Re: I wonder what happened?

Rough.

Quote:
ATLANTIC BEACH, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard just located a man's body near a large debris field spotted in the ocean tonight, about 22 miles east of the entrance to the St. Johns River.

The debris was reported around 6 p.m. by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission, which included flares, two large pieces of a vessel and 10 life jackets.

The Coast Guard is responding to the scene as if other people are in distress, but it is unknown at this time if that is the case, according to a release from the USCG.

A 45-foot Response Boat from Station Mayport in Atlantic Beach and a Hercules plane from Air Station Clearwater are searching the area.

The man's identity isn't being released.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2013, 22:10   #3

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

The wreckage looks pretty torn up as though it had been in a collision with a large ship.
Old 24-02-2013, 22:14   #4

Astrid, I was thinking the same thing. I noticed how the foredeck was broken. It seems like some of the breaks are in the same line as if a large prop hit it. Plus the coloration on the deck is either anti fouling paint or blood?
Old 24-02-2013, 23:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Astrid, I was thinking the same thing. I noticed how the foredeck was broken. It seems like some of the breaks are in the same line as if a large prop hit it. Plus the coloration on the deck is either anti fouling paint or blood?
It looks like it was hit by a prop three times.
Old 25-02-2013, 03:11   #6

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

The only other thing that comes to mind is a propane explosion.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 07:17   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

That could be right, although I wouldn't rule out a collision.

My first thought: Hmm, there's the photo for the next AIS transponder ad.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 07:24   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

If the boat and the ship had AIS transponders and were close enough to land to be recorded then we would have known if there was a collision.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 08:01   #9

A little more info has been released. There was a passport found in the debris field. It was not a U.S. passport.
Old 28-02-2013, 15:58   #10

A little follow-up article. Still not much information.

Man found with boat wreckage off Jacksonvllle Sunday may not have been alone | jacksonville.com

Man found with boat wreckage off Jacksonville Sunday may not have been alone

A man found floating Sunday amid boat wreckage 22 miles east of Jacksonville may not have been alone, authorities and the friend of one of those possible other passengers said Thursday.
Guillermo Gonzalez Losada, 49, was found alone with the debris, but a search over the next two days did not turn up any others. Losada had a Venezuelan passport and once lived in Miami.
Thursday, the Coast Guard said it had several reports of others on board but had not been able to verify the information, according to spokeswoman Jessica Potter.
Potter said investigators still do not know what the type of boat was that was found.
“There was so much unknown, they are going to have to do some digging,” she said. The investigation could take months, she said.
A man who said he believed he knew the owner of the boat, said five men were on board, including a captain. He said the boat was bought recently in Miami.
Andres Verve said his friend, who is not Losada, was planning to take the boat to Venezuela, where the man’s family said he is still missing.
“He’s been sailing since he was four or five years old,” Verve said. “He learned that from his dad.”
Old 28-02-2013, 16:07   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'm surprised they can't identify what type of boat it was--the chunks that were shown in the article looked quite large. The photo was fuzzy, but I was guessing an older trimaran.
Old 28-02-2013, 17:13   #12

Could have been a submarine. There is a big submarine base right around there.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 22:41   #13

That would be Kings Bay Nuclear Sub Base in Georgia. Somehow I don't think it would have been one of those.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:00   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

5 people on board! That's terrible!

AIS transponder needed on all boats.
20 nms off the coast is regular shipping area in that location? Southbound ships keeping inside the Gulf Stream?

It's a large boat so its not a hit by a fishing vessle it looks like a hit by a ship.

Even with 5 on board one needs an AIS transponder.... It's easy to fall asleep on watch particularly when the circadian rhythms are low between 2am and 4 am.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:53   #15

Here's some more detail:
Coast Guard investigating whether collision demolished boat where body found off Jacksonville | jacksonville.com

Coast Guard investigating whether collision demolished boat where body found off Jacksonville

By Dana Treen

A 50-foot Hatteras found demolished offshore Sunday may have been destroyed in a collision with a larger ship, a possibility being investigated by the Coast Guard.
Chong K. Lum, a Venezuelan in his mid-30s, bought the boat in South Carolina and was sailing south with friends.
Lum’s family said investigators have told them they are checking ship traffic that was in the sea lanes near where the wreckage and the body of one passenger were found.
Lum, another companion and an unidentified American captain have not been found. A fourth man who was supposed to travel with the others to Venezuela on the boat flew home instead.
Allen Hill, whose wife is a cousin of Lum’s, said there was an emergency beacon on the boat but it never activated. The family was told the Coast Guard recovered a flying bridge and boat deck from the debris field in the Atlantic Ocean 22 miles east of Jacksonville. The wreckage was discovered by a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission research plane.
“So whatever happened was quick,” Hill said. “The boat wasn’t sinking or taking on water.”
The Coast Guard recovered the body of Guillermo Gonzalez Losada, 49, and 10 floating life vests. Losada, whose passport was found, was not wearing a vest.
“I don’t think there was any foul play indicated,” Hill said.
The Coast Guard’s investigative unit in Miami has taken over the case and will check ship traffic and the possibility that a collision with a large commercial freighter occurred, said Petty Officer Third Class Jessica Potter, a spokeswoman for the service.
“That’s definitely one of the possibilities,” she said.
The boat was a 1981 Hatteras convertible named On The Way and bought in North Myrtle Beach, Lum’s family said. Potter said the Coast Guard has not been able to identify an American captain who was on board.
The search for survivors was suspended after more than 50 hours of patrolling with cutters, other boats and aircraft.
Hill, who served five years in the Coast Guard, said the family would like the search to continue.
“It’s like any family; they are going to want more,” he said. “Nobody wants to give up hope.”
He said he understands the search can only go on for so long. Hill said he was told Losada died of hypothermia in the water.
Lum is an industrial engineer whose family business worked with Ingersoll-Rand. Lum is married with two daughters and a son, ages 23 months to 13 years.
An experienced boater who owned another yacht in the past, Lum sailed weekly to Aruba, where the family has a house.
In an email from Sergio Molina, a friend of those on the boat, said the third Venezuelan on the boat was Victor Caridad. Molina believed they were in Jacksonville on Friday.
Another friend, Ymad Channan, said in an email message he was a member of a yacht club with Lum and the others in Punto Fijo, Venezuela. He said the boat was headed to Miami, then on to what he called a “dream trip” to Aruba and the Bahamas and other islands.
“Their only sin was that they loved boating, they loved sport fishing, and they loved the sea, loved it so much ’til they ended in the ocean,” he said.