Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 19:34   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The users of petroleum are as much to blame as the suppliers. Perhaps the finger should be pointed back at ourselves as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
balderfreekingdash, mon--the bottom line of the greedy and corrupt bp and halliburton is the reason for this boom bang--only that....oh yes--and the prevention of cleanup by the homeless insecurity agency -- preventing the shrimpers and fishers from placing booms because they donot have STEEL TOED BOOTS LOL
btw--once into the stream, look out east coast---and how much farther does it have to spread because of idiocy and bureaucratic stoopidity.....no steel toed boots--GET REAL!!!!!!
put an end to corruption and greed and placing blame whewre it doesnt truly belong---it lies in thehands of the jacka** in bp who denied the need for safety and safety regulations--as those particular words are" not conducive to a decent bottom line nor decent productivity"..LOL....GREED AND CORRUPTION!!!!!!!!!
and when the homeless insecurity agency prevents the shrimpers and fishers from placing booms because of NO STEEL TOED BOOTS, ye must wonder what the hail is the bureaucracy doing interfering with the cleanup..... not one of those clipboard carriers is capable of real work --why are they preventing the clean up of this mayhem they themselves essentially created....they cannot possibly perform real work --is how they got the dang jobs in the first place--corruption and greed ......gimme a freeking break here----this area is a treasure of a place--rich in ways many have no idea--is gorgeous and is full of marine life--i should say WAS ..what is the impact going to be? no one as yet can possibly know.

when bottom line becomes much more important than safety, then isnt the users is the producers and their lobbies forcing up the price and driving safety to the back burner. boom bang boom...corruption and greed rule --is bloody OBVIOUS!!!!!!

is a damn shame this area will change dramatically before i am able to return.
It really does not matter who does the drilling. This could have happened to any oil company. This time it was British Petroleum. Even if a swarm of government bureaucrats were out on the rigs 24/7 making sure all procedures were followed to the letter it could still happen. The oil extraction processes itself is not without its environmental risks.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 03-05-2010, 20:01   #62
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
The greatest understatement...

Quote:
The oil extraction processes itself is not without its environmental risks.
...I've ever read in this forum.

(Not to mention the fact that even if the oil isn't spilt, it will still be burnt.)
Old 03-05-2010, 20:35   #63

Boat: Catalina 30
Send a message via Yahoo to anjinsan
my question.

Ex military, Ex Law Enforcement here...
I have not heard anyone asking about the nationality or religious affiliations of the crew members of the rig that exploded. When aircraft go down, these questions are asked. Sorry, don't want to cause a fight here..but it just seems there are a lot of possibilities that have not been considered.
Old 03-05-2010, 20:37   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...I've ever read in this forum.

(Not to mention the fact that even if the oil isn't spilt, it will still be burnt.)
My point is, its risky regardless of who does it. As long as we need oil, the risks will be taken.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 03-05-2010, 20:43   #65

ahh, thanks bash... I'm just surprised that they aren't really in the public's face and on all media yelling about this... cheers
Old 03-05-2010, 20:50   #66
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
My point is, its risky regardless of who does it. As long as we need oil, the risks will be taken.
Agreed. Which is why I'm such a strong advocate of charging batteries with solar and wind, propelling the boat with sail, and cooling the cabin with 12v fans.

Now if only we could solve the problem of how to fuel the Iron Genny.
Old 03-05-2010, 21:08   #67

it is waring to human!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:05   #68

Boat: seawind II Patience
Just ckd the oil has not drifted quite asfar as this thread.lol.marc
Old 04-05-2010, 04:19   #69

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Now if only we could solve the problem of how to fuel the Iron Genny.

this whole situation is really making me reconsider my power options and pushing me more and more towards full electric, even with the ridiculous shortcommings inherent to an all electric drive, i want it more and more everytime i hear about this on the news
Old 04-05-2010, 05:42   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2012 View Post
Just ckd the oil has not drifted quite asfar as this thread.lol.marc
Well then, we do have some luck on our side!
But consider we are in the "scuttlebutt" section, and then go back and read the title of the thread and the opening post. Not really all that much drift here given where it started.

~
Old 08-05-2010, 19:10   #71
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
https://www.piersystem.com/go/doc/2931/542947/
Old 27-05-2010, 21:17   #72

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
But our 'lil boat can sail round the world on just a splash of diesel and solar panels doing most of the work
One is sailing on oil already burned

One must not forget how much oil it takes to produce a plastic or steel sailboat and it's parts! And don't forget how much oil was burned by the workers to get back and forth to the manufacturing sites.
Old 28-05-2010, 11:53   #73

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
One must not forget how much oil it takes to produce a plastic or steel sailboat and it's parts! And don't forget how much oil was burned by the workers to get back and forth to the manufacturing sites.
In the case of cars, the car itself represents about half of the total environmental impact, and the fuel it uses during its lifetime is the other half. If boats are similar, then a sailboat will have half the environmental impact of a powered one.

Actually come to think of it, cars have a "third half" to their impact — all the roads and parking spaces that they need. I guess in that respect boats have a lesser impact as although they need "parking spaces" they don't generally travel on roads (there's the odd canal though, and a bit of dredging needed here and there...)
Old 28-05-2010, 12:36   #74

oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
the disaster unfolding in the gulf of Mexico off the Mississippi Delta.

There is a runaway oil spill barfing out some huge amount of oil, the shore line is about to become black gooey gumbo, fish, birds and other forms of life are about to be slathered in fatal goo, regional economies of fishing, tourism etc about to be destroyed, and not one mention or comment here.

Sabre
You make an interesting point, in perspective, it will pass, and it is very emotional issue. I live about 150 miles from the shoreline. Example of how people forget and move on. The city of Toronto is sitting on some on the most fertile agriculture land, now all covered with concrete, but people move on. We will come through this, we will learn from our mistakes and we will be better for it in the end. Sadly, And I mean that sincerely, suffering seems to be the only way to learn. Not right here but further west the bird life is really hard hit
Old 28-05-2010, 15:12   #75

I heard the oil is all a myth by the Obama Administration. Ive heard that if you actually go to the Gulf Coast there is not only no oil to be seen....but pristine! I think its just a way for them to get the attention away from this whole Sandra Bullock fiasco. I mean who does not feel sorry for her????
Closed Thread