Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-10-2008, 15:54   #16

Boat: Ensenada 20
My son spent last night at the Jolly Roger at Soper's Hole on Tortola, and he "texted" me this morning that Omar was a "piece of cake" there, and that it was beautiful there this morning.

Haven't heard yet if he made it off the island today. He had a ticket on Cape Air, but the airport was apparently still closed early this morning.

Old 17-10-2008, 12:56   #17

from St Croix

Boat details

Boat Year: 1977
Boat Make: Catalina
Boat Model: N/A
Boat Type: Sail
Boat LOA: 30.0
Entry details

Entry Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008
Entry Time: 12:44
Comments: St Croix USVI. Christiansted Harbor. 2 Days after Hurricane OMAR. Cat 3 hurricane passed just a couple miles off the east end of the Island. St Croix takes extremely high winds from the NW quadrant of the storm. C'Sted harbor in mid island on the North shore.

Im ok. Nautica made out just fine. I had taken off the mainsail, boom and bimini. Also ran backup lines from the anchor rodes and bow cleats aft around the jib wenches, drew them down tight then to the stern cleats. Made for a pretty secure rig for the ground tackle. The storm winds were out of the N to NW at around 70-100 mph putting the strain on the N sandscrew. Nautica took a glancing blow on the port side leaving a small gauge about 2-3 long and 1/2 wide just aft of midships just below the toe rail, and some black paint (Love Inn?) on the freeboard on the port side. Also one portside lifeline stanchion was broken and several stanchions on the port aft corner had loose bolts to the deck. Ill check them closer to see how to repair. Ill also dive on the sandscrews (after the sewage clears the bay) to see how they made out.

Bobs boat ended up holed and sunk at the boardwalk behind another 50 footer. Looks like the 50 footer may have broken free of her mooring and took Love Inn with her to the boardwalk. Bob is really down about his boat. Joes boat is ok. She broke free from the mooring but he had put out a couple of anchors and one of them held and saved the Frolic from going ashore onto the boardwalk. Jerrys 48 Out Island broke the mooring lines and ended up at the corner of Seaborne Airlines and the boardwalk bowfirst and hard aground but with no hull damage. Hes staying at my apt for now until he gets his 35 Morgan livable. Should only take a week or so maybe.

25 to 30 boats either sunk or broken up and hard aground or smashed into the waterfront boardwalk in downtown Christiansted. It made me feel sick and sad to see these vessels lost in such a catastrphy. All boats that stayed tied to docks were lost as well as the docks themselves. All boats that had failed to remove bimini's, sails and sail covers on booms, were lost. All boats who were improperly moored (one 50 footer had the mooring lines coming off the bowsprit) were lost. Some boats we taken out by other improperly prepared boats. Most, if not all, boats that were properly prepared remained securely attached to thier moorings unless hit and taken down by other loose boats.

Watch Leader: Randy

Location information

Towards: N/A
Course: N/A
Latitude: 17' 45
Longitude: 63' 75
Compass True: N/A
Compass Variant: N/A
Compass Deviation: N/A

Vessel information

Boat Speed: N/A
Boat RPM: N/A

Environmental information

Sky Condition: black, full moon
Barometer Reading: 28.7
Sea State Height (feet): N/A
Sea State Direction: NW
Wind Speed (knots): 90.0
Wind Direction: N/A
Depth (feet): 10.0

Old 17-10-2008, 13:14   #18

Unhappy St Croix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Scott,

Sounds like St. Croix came through better than they had originally expected.

St. Croix Source
St Croix Source is only partially right. The "Island" did recieve minimal damage. Mostly power lines and trees with a few damage houses. BUT, the boating comunity took a terrible thrashing. I was moored in Christiansted Harbor and the devistation there was heartbreaking with all the broken vessels (20-30 destroyed or heavily damaged or aground) and docks. I haven't been out to the Yacht Club but hear they had heavy losses there to. Green Kay marina faired better than the rest...don't have any numbers yet, but Salt River Marina had heavy damages there too.

Randy
Old 17-10-2008, 14:23   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
bikerb13,

Not surprising that the "Source" focused on the landside issues. Although with the interest in sailing on St. Croix, I'd expect a bit more coverage from the press.

I'm very sorry to hear about the damage to yachts on St. Croix. I've spent a few days anchored at the Yacht Club--nice folks there, and very hospitable. I guess that reef must not provide much protection from the big swells.
Old 17-10-2008, 15:00   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerb13
... 25 to 30 boats either sunk or broken up and hard aground or smashed into the waterfront boardwalk in downtown Christiansted. It made me feel sick and sad to see these vessels lost in such a catastrphy. All boats that stayed tied to docks were lost as well as the docks themselves. All boats that had failed to remove bimini's, sails and sail covers on booms, were lost. All boats who were improperly moored (one 50 footer had the mooring lines coming off the bowsprit) were lost. Some boats we taken out by other improperly prepared boats. Most, if not all, boats that were properly prepared remained securely attached to thier moorings unless hit and taken down by other loose boats...
Some sad, but pertinent, observations that reinforce the conventional wisdom about storm preparation.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 14:46   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
An article with photos on the St. Croix sailing community's Omar experience in Latitude 38. It breaks my heart to see those boats mashed up like that!

photo credit -- Latitude 38

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-10-22_6587_Omar1.tif.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	5586  
Old 23-10-2008, 04:42   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hurricane Omar Hits St. Croix ~ Islands try to contain oil spills caused by Omar
“... All St. Croix beaches have been deemed unsafe because of high pollution levels, and the Schooner Channel area of the Christiansted Harbor remained closed ...”
Goto Noonsite:
http://www.noonsite.com/Members/sue/R2008-10-18-1/view

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: