Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 08:27   #1

Boat: Still looking
Human Slobs

Let me start out by saying when my gf surprised me on my B-day yesterday with a sunset sail cruise out past lido beach I was in ahhh. It was beautiful and made me think how much more I would rather be on the water then land most of the time.
But I can't believe the things we saw, Dolphins swimming and jumping out of the water, the haze of the sun as it slowly goes down and the but load of litter in our waters. Are you kidding me, the 3rd rated best beach in the country "they say" and it looks like crap. Earlier we were at Lido Beach all day and again nothing but plastic bottle caps, everywhere, and cigarette butts, just very trashy.
I know we had 4-5 days of some stormy weather here but give ma a break, this is absolutely embarrassing, know wonder Americans have such a bad and lazy name. If your gowning to enjoy these beaches and views don't you think you can pick your **** up and throw it away. There are designated recycle and garbage cans available at all the exits of the beach.
When we were out in are cruise there were 6 people anchored by a channel sign and in the water drinking and we were watching them throw there cancer sticks in the water. I wonder what else they threw in our waters.
The bottom line is it makes me sick to think that we are classified as lazy dumb Americans who just don't care and are going to ruin this for everybody. Pick your crap up and help save are beaches and waters, or stay the hell home. And what's worse is some of the younger dumber crowed think it's cool to litter.
I guess if know one cares then we have nothing to look forward to. And even the northerners who claim Florida there home and have lived here for ever, part time don't care ether. I think you sailors who spend your lives cruising these waters and enjoying these views might have the right idea. Living at sea and from place to place may just keep you from seeing and smelling how bad it really is.
I love these beaches and the waters and spent a better part of 30 min or so picking up after slobs. I do feel a bit better about those plastic objects not making it into the sea. But it wasn't even a dent...
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:48   #2

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Re: Human slobs

The plastic you speak of may have come from hundreds if not thousands of miles away. There is an amazing amount of crap floating out there. My pet peve is cig butts. A ciggarett is a tool for dispensing a drug(nicotine) if those millions of cig butts were syringes there would be a huge outcry.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:48   #3

Boat: Pearson 303
Send a message via Skype™ to PaulM

I agree with you. This morning I got up to finish putting the boat away after yesterdays sail. There was trash everywhere. In the parrking lot, on the dock and in the water. Simple said, man as a whole are a bunch of pigs.

Paul
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:00   #4
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

I was amazed by what an impact I had, just one person on the stretch of Ocean beach along Fort Funston. For years I walked Carabella the Wonderdog there on a regular basis. If I walked four or so days a week there and picked up a bag of trash each day then the beach stayed pretty clean. If I was away or walked elsewhere for a week when I came back the beach would be a mess again. But it did not take much effort to make a difference.

And it ain't Americans... it's the human species... It's a dirty bird that fouls its own nest...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
I agree with you. This morning I got up to finish putting the boat away after yesterdays sail. There was trash everywhere. In the parrking lot, on the dock and in the water. Simple said, man as a whole are a bunch of pigs.

Paul

And it's getting worse, I can't stand the cancer sticks either. Are beach is loaded with them, and how can a beach be rated #3 if it looks like that. And I am sure the plastic has traveled a long journey.
I have seen documentaries of other countries waters Peru, Venezuela etc, and it's bad. I'm glad I am not the only one who feels this way.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I was amazed by what an impact I had, just one person on the stretch of Ocean beach along Fort Funston. For years I walked Carabella the Wonderdog there on a regular basis. If I walked four or so days a week there and picked up a bag of trash each day then the beach stayed pretty clean. If I was away or walked elsewhere for a week when I came back the beach would be a mess again. But it did not take much effort to make a difference.

And it ain't Americans... it's the human species... It's a dirty bird that fouls its own nest...
Good point, it doen't take much to clean up after others, my point as you say the human species need to pick up after them selves...
Old 10-07-2011, 09:10   #7

Not all, or perhaps even most, of the plastic in the ocean has been improperly disposed of. It washes into the ocean from approved disposal places. The answer is use less plastic, support trash to steam as power generation and developing technologies in extracting the carbon from plastic. Amazon is experimenting with rejecting retail packaging for things they sell by mail. Encourage others. A post on this forum complained that some parts ordered came only wrapped in bubble wrap and didn't appear to be professionally delivered. Aren''t we better off when things we buy come with less packaging?

Thus endeth the sermon for the day.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
Not all, or perhaps even most, of the plastic in the ocean has been improperly disposed of. It washes into the ocean from approved disposal places. The answer is use less plastic, support trash to steam as power generation and developing technologies in extracting the carbon from plastic. Amazon is experimenting with rejecting retail packaging for things they sell by mail. Encourage others. A post on this forum complained that some parts ordered came only wrapped in bubble wrap and didn't appear to be professionally delivered. Aren''t we better off when things we buy come with less packaging?

Thus endeth the sermon for the day.
As long as the item you receive is not damaged. And my point exactly "approved disposal places" It still has to do with someone and or the Government deciding to dump in these waters.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:55   #9

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I'm probably pretty draconian, but to my mind, litter removal should be a job for the career welfare types, and littering should be a flogging offense. 5 lashes to start with, on the grate by the side of the road or in the town courtyard or where ever. 10 for a repeat offense and 10 a week for 6 months along with a job beside the career welfare types. Pick up everything man made that's more than a 1/4 inch in size.

I used to go talk to the school kids as they had lunch at a local restaurant on the river front. We'd talk about the environment and all of them would go on about how the earth was ending up a garbage heap , yet a few days later I'd see the same kids dropping their candy wrappers and empty water bottles not 5 feet away from a trash bin.

I gave up long ago on this. I do what I can, but I'm hoping Gaia will give her head a shake and seriously deplete the pestilence known as mankind and give the world a chance to heal.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
I'm probably pretty draconian, but to my mind, litter removal should be a job for the career welfare types, and littering should be a flogging offense. 5 lashes to start with, on the grate by the side of the road or in the town courtyard or where ever. 10 for a repeat offense and 10 a week for l6 months along with a job beside the career welfare types. Pick up everything man made that's more than a 1/4 inch in size.
I used to go talk to the school kids as they had lunch at a local restaurant on the river front. We'd talk about the environment and all of them would go on about how the earth was ending up a garbage heap , yet a few days later I'd see the same kids dropping their candy wrappers and empty water bottles not 5 feet away from a trash bin.

I gave up long ago on this. I do what I can, but I'm hoping Gaia will give her head a shake and seriously deplete the pestilence known as mankind and give the world a chance to heal.

Sabre
l
When I run for President I'll put you incharge of the beatings. Well put]
Old 10-07-2011, 10:27   #11

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

For those of you on the west coast of the US the next couple of years will be horrable when Japan's tsunami floatsome shows up next summer with lots of strainge stuff on our beaches. I think plastic grocery bags are the worst at least paper bags desolve back into the inviroment fairly quickly.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:32   #12

Boat: Grampian 26

loose the plastic water bottles and make them glass, or better yet re usable water bottles. Milk should be sold in paper cartons or glass not these plastic baggies, all fast food should be served in paper or cardboard containers. Styrofoam cups need to be removed from the shelves, plastic bread bags should be paper.
All these flyers that get sent out weekly should be banned from print as they waste more resources than you can imagine. If you want to stop cig butts, then have the goverment help the people to stop smoking and pay for it as well. healtrh care will be cheaper in the long run as well.
food packaging needs to be scaled properly, all that aluminium lined chip bags and its only ever half full, they waste twice the wrapper for product.
Theres lots of ways to cut down but it is the consumers that have to start demanding the suppliers to start conservation
imho
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:08   #13

Boat: Pearson 303
Send a message via Skype™ to PaulM

This thread is a good one. One of my pet peeves, besides cigarette butts and those who drive slow in the passing (left lane in the US) are those useless toys and promotional trash that we spend time, materials and energy making. Got one yesterday from Chic-Fill-A in my lunch bag promoting the “Greatest Show on Earth”. The package in plastic said “warning choke hazard”. I’m not even sure what it is. It does open up when you push on the ends. Most will end up in the trash.

Paul
Attached Images

PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:25   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM
This thread is a good one. One of my pet peeves, besides cigarette butts and those who drive slow in the passing (left lane in the US) are those useless toys and promotional trash that we spend time, materials and energy making. Got one yesterday from Chic-Fill-A in my lunch bag promoting the “Greatest Show on Earth”. The package in plastic said “warning choke hazard”. I’m not even sure what it is. It does open up when you push on the ends. Most will end up in the trash.

Paul
Hear, hear!!
genni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:33   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

much of the plastic in our waterways comes from land--- from storm sewers draining into the seas and bays. you can even watch it as the storm drains drain into bays-- disgusting.
here in mazatlan as well. much trash floats after the rains fall. comes from land. stuff wasnt here yesterday. is here today. rained allll night and morning-- now trash comes floating by.
would be nice to teach landlubbers to not throw stuff and stuff into the storm drain system, but many think that is what the system is for-- their trash. have fun and smooth sailing.
most folks on boats--even the piggy ones-- make sure plastic is properly disposed of. we dont like plastic flavored fishies. besides it looks nasty and carries germs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote