Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 12:34   #16

Re: Human slobs

We were recently in South Beach, Miami, standing in the water watching a manatee swim by when along came a condom fish.....swimming with the current. Ghaaack.
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:39   #17

Boat: Still looking

It really is to bad that most of society has the mentality of " I don't care" when my oldest child age 7 use to say that. I could just look at her the write way, and after explaining it to her. She understands that " I don't care" is not a phrase. I am trying to teach my kids the do's and don't's. For instance when they see a cigarette butt on the ground they both say that's dirty daddy and if we touch it we can get sick.
I'm not anal and far from it, but I need to look at when my kids get older the kind of "F" up world there going to be in. And if are own cities and law makers and Government wont do anything about it, then I guess it's up to the hand full of people who care about a clean society, oceans, marine life and beaches as this is what the topic is about.
I can't wait for the day when I am sailing with my kids and a butt load of dolphins are swimming from the bow and they get a real glimpse up close of what the ocean can give us. Raw beauty...
dropanchorfor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
much of the plastic in our waterways comes from land--- from storm sewers draining into the seas and bays. you can even watch it as the storm drains drain into bays-- disgusting.
here in mazatlan as well. much trash floats after the rains fall. comes from land. stuff wasnt here yesterday. is here today. rained allll night and morning-- now trash comes floating by.
would be nice to teach landlubbers to not throw stuff and stuff into the storm drain system, but many think that is what the system is for-- their trash. have fun and smooth sailing.
most folks on boats--even the piggy ones-- make sure plastic is properly disposed of. we dont like plastic flavored fishies. besides it looks nasty and carries germs.
Absolutly...
Old 10-07-2011, 12:46   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

to those wanting big brother to step in-- h0w far do we really and truly want government to RUN our lives??? how fascist does this nation have to get before folks see what big government actually DOES????? is not FOR the people in any sense. just clean and teach and let government stay tf out of it. we have enough stoopit rules to have to endure invasion by government --why add more. puleeeeze. just teach folks. or do you enjoy having random potty checks on your boat??????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
to those wanting big brother to step in-- h0w far do we really and truly want government to RUN our lives??? how fascist does this nation have to get before folks see what big government actually DOES????? is not FOR the people in any sense. just clean and teach and let government stay tf out of it. we have enough stoopit rules to have to endure invasion by government --why add more. puleeeeze. just teach folks. or do yu enjoy having random potty checks on your boat??????
Good point never looked at it that way.
Old 10-07-2011, 15:04   #21

Boat: Pearson 26

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but americans are no worse than anybody else in the litter department. I was enjoying lunch one summer day on Boston Common with a co-worker, and we sat there dumbfounded as a group of young spaniards/tourists got up from their lunch on the grass and walked away leaving every bag, napkin cup and other assorted garbage right there where they had been sitting. We ended-up picking up all of it.

I get just as irate, btw, when people leave all their crap all over the seats and aisles after the movie has ended (then they complain about high ticket prices).
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 15:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but americans are no worse than anybody else in the litter department. I was enjoying lunch one summer day on Boston Common with a co-worker, and we sat there dumbfounded as a group of young spaniards/tourists got up from their lunch on the grass and walked away leaving every bag, napkin cup and other assorted garbage right there where they had been sitting. We ended-up picking up all of it.

I get just as irate, btw, when people leave all their crap all over the seats and aisles after the movie has ended (then they complain about high ticket prices).
Good point, that's why we rent dvd's or do the netflix thing. LOL...
Old 10-07-2011, 15:27   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
I'm probably pretty draconian, but to my mind, litter removal should be a job for the career welfare types, and littering should be a flogging offense...
OK, officer Obie.
LYRICS - Alice's Restaurant

Dam; I really hate it when I agree /w zeehag, even just a little bit (post 19).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 16:02   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I hate rubbish as well.
I cannot understand the mentality of people that dump it.

I always try to pick up a bit on shore.

I have seen cruising boats that have gone ashore and cleared a beach of garbage. No fanfare or even asking for help. We should all emulate their example (myself included).
1 day a year devoted to beach cleanup
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 16:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I hate rubbish as well.
I cannot understand the mentality of people that dump it.

I always try to pick up a bit on shore.

I have seen cruising boats that have gone ashore and cleared a beach of garbage. No fanfare or even asking for help. We should all emulate their example (myself included).
1 day a year devoted to beach cleanup
I totally agree with that..
Old 11-07-2011, 10:15   #26

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Human Slobs

Around here most trash comes from the ski boats and other fast power boats but it isn't really there falt it's the boat's speed and some breeze that blows trash off there boats and there going too fast to go back and pick it up
Old 11-07-2011, 10:26   #27

While touring in Chile, I saw a garbage truck back up to a river bank and the driver dumped the entire load of garbage into the fast flowing stream of water.
As we all know, "stuff flows downstream".
Out of site, out of mind.....
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:28   #28

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Another thing we found while sailing in the Atlantic was Mylar balloons. Someone thought it was such a great idea to do a balloon release. We scooped up 20 balloons on that trip.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:51   #29
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
to those wanting big brother to step in-- h0w far do we really and truly want government to RUN our lives??? how fascist does this nation have to get before folks see what big government actually DOES????? is not FOR the people in any sense. just clean and teach and let government stay tf out of it. we have enough stoopit rules to have to endure invasion by government --why add more. puleeeeze. just teach folks. or do you enjoy having random potty checks on your boat??????
Fine rhetoric zeehag, unfortunately humans have always needed to be told what to do. More rules a-coming. Self help never works because humans exploit each other.

Dave
Old 11-07-2011, 11:14   #30

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Sell a 20 oz bottle of water for $10. $9 deposit on the bottle. See how many come back.