Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2009, 20:10   #166
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I grew up around soldiers, some were jerks, some were nice, but none, let me repeat, none were cowards. Lord I am sorry for my rant, but I am still going to post this. So much crap the average soldier has to put up with, being called a coward shouldn't be one of them.

Erika
In this part of the world we don't place the military (institutions or personnel) on quite the same pedestal as "elsewhere" But nonetheless I don't read any of these posts as suggesting cowardice on the part of any individuals. I would however allege wilful stupidity and short sighted wishful thinking by those within the chain of command from onboard the RN/RFA ship all the way through to the politicos onshore.

I too have a longgggggg rant on the subject (not aimed at anyone here ), but it's late and it would just make me even madder

Now off to Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 20:37   #167
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post

FWIW...Every Coast Guard jumper or Seal or special ops is a Rambo...they have to be.
Do you even know what a Rambo is?

I have worked with several....both professionally and as customers.

These guys aren't psychopathic disturbed indivivuals.

They are calm, deliberate...controlled.

The thing that handicaps any soldier, sailor, airman or Marine is military lawyers who draft rules of engagement.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 21:09   #168

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I totally agree...What am I speaking in a foreign language or something tonight..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2009, 21:27   #169

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Put a big hole in the mother ship.

Call for help to "rescue" the lot.
The "mother ship" was a container ship that had been hijacked that week - you're proposing they should have sunk a 24,000 tonne container ship, possibly killing the 21 crew members on board in order to save the Chandlers? That's just brilliant
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 16:21   #170

Boat: Endeavour,A Plan, E37, BlueAyes
Here is another approach to piracy.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?displayContent=204862&ESRC=airforce.nl
Old 30-11-2009, 16:58   #171

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
The "mother ship" was a container ship that had been hijacked that week - you're proposing they should have sunk a 24,000 tonne container ship, possibly killing the 21 crew members on board in order to save the Chandlers? That's just brilliant
Only speaking for myself.

Yes.

If I am one of the hostages, I say yes. Poke a big hole in it.

I will take my chances with the rescue.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 13:59   #172

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
If I am one of the hostages, I say yes. Poke a big hole in it.

I will take my chances with the rescue.
Will you take your chances with a big arfing explosion?
There is no such thing a surgical precision with the application of torpedoes or missiles.
I doubt the other hostages are quite as keen to meet their maker, but even if they are who gets to reimburse the ship owners? Or the cargo owners? And what about the massive oil slick? Or the toxic cloud (depending on the cargo)?

A better idea would be to pack a 26 ft sailboat with explosives, sail it over there and when the pirates board, blow it to smithereens. A suicidal sailor is required - are ya interested?
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 15:44   #173

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
By Lodesman
A better idea would be to pack a 26 ft sailboat with explosives, sail it over there and when the pirates board, blow it to smithereens. A suicidal sailor is required - are ya interested?

How about instead we take that sailboat loaded with explosives and make it remote controlled like the recon drones controlled from Florida or somewhere sail it into prime pirate area when the pirates get close enough, verified by onboard remote cameras, push a button in Miami and KABOOM. goodby, and good riddance pirates.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 16:55   #174

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
How about blockade Somalia and check or sink every vessel coming in or out. Sink those that refuse to stop. Or monthly convoys guarded by various Nations navies. Oh, and how about shoot the Bas____s who are 100 miles out to sea with AK's and no fishing gear! And who is getting paid off to let this continue?
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 17:02   #175

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
This personally makes me spitting mad. First the British governement watch them being taken, then block a ransom deal. Not a proud moment for the British.

'Ransom deal blocked' for Somali hostages Paul and Rachel Chandler | World news | The Observer
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 17:32   #176

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedaluscan View Post
This personally makes me spitting mad. First the British governement watch them being taken, then block a ransom deal. Not a proud moment for the British.

'Ransom deal blocked' for Somali hostages Paul and Rachel Chandler | World news | The Observer

I can understand why you'd be mad, but IMO 2 wrongs don't make a right. We can't make deals or trades with pirates. It will never end if we do...
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 17:40   #177

Boat: Nordhavn 47
This was a private matter. The money was the family's and had nothing to do with the government. I would certainly hope my family would be allowed to pay for my release should I find myself in a similar situation. I would prefer not to die for a "principle" that is not being followed in any other situation and enforcing it now will probably have no effect on future hostage situations.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 19:33   #178

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia
I cannot believe this! The British Gov should consider getting them out NOW before they are hurt or killed in frustration. After all the dust flying in UK regarding the politicians expenses rorting, they could do with a few goodwill gestures to have them seen in a more compassionate light! And a Merry Christmas to you Gordon Brown!!

When or if they are safely home get proactive for a change and send in the SAS to Somalia to sort the buggers out!!!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 22:26   #179

hypocrisy.

Would be nice if they would prevent the large shipping companies from paying the ransoms. I guess it's easier to take the moral high ground with the couple of cruisers.
s/v Necessity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 22:56   #180

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I was thinking the same thing...whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Somalia