Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2019, 13:08   #1

Homeless Anchor out

I saw this news story and shook my head. If the municipalities would allow anchoring for limited times like a few days I would say do it. But, here in Long Beach, CA you get a couple of days on weekend nights only in the harbor. I have a problem with that. Cruisers travelling up and down the coast don't have the ability to time their schedules like that. Or maybe some do.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/californi...d-afford-water
Actually, I don't believe the municipalities should have the right to do anything. It's a coastal commission or federal jurisdiction. But, these cities impose the rules and any boater who would oppose them is kinda out of luck.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 15:53   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Homeless Anchor out

The anchor outs in Richardson Bay are the core of a jurisdictional dispute, and have been a recurring news item since the early 1960's. They are a San Francisco Bay issue, and a national issue as well. Shocking that a nation as rich as the US or Britain have homeless issues. Should a nation not have a duty of care for its unfortunates? Of course, taxes would skyrocket, and no one wants that, either, so it is a problem without a politically correct solution, imho.

Yes, boaters are kind of out of luck, but wealthy enough to go boating and mostly not be homeless. They tend to be independent, and not overly politically inclined.

However, The SSCA (Seven Seas Cruising Association) some years back went to work on the Florida anchoring restrictions with some success.

Basically, as I see it, if the boater belongs to an organization of boaters (yacht club, insurance company, whatever) that pays taxes in the municipality, the issue may be reconsidered.

Ann
Old 27-11-2019, 16:17   #3

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The anchor outs in Richardson Bay are the core of a jurisdictional dispute, and have been a recurring news item since the early 1960's. They are a San Francisco Bay issue, and a national issue as well. Shocking that a nation as rich as the US or Britain have homeless issues. Should a nation not have a duty of care for its unfortunates? Of course, taxes would skyrocket, and no one wants that, either, so it is a problem without a politically correct solution, imho.

Yes, boaters are kind of out of luck, but wealthy enough to go boating and mostly not be homeless. They tend to be independent, and not overly politically inclined.

However, The SSCA (Seven Seas Cruising Association) some years back went to work on the Florida anchoring restrictions with some success.

Basically, as I see it, if the boater belongs to an organization of boaters (yacht club, insurance company, whatever) that pays taxes in the municipality, the issue may be reconsidered.

Ann
It’s a navigable waterway and most everyone pays a TON on federal taxes, fuel taxes, sales taxes, estate taxes, death taxes, property taxes, and on and on, most every person pays sooo much in tax I just laugh when someone says “fair share” or something.

Are these rules even enforceable? If not I’d just do me and tell them to go fix the zillion actual real problems.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 16:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The SSCA (Seven Seas Cruising Association) some years back went to work on the Florida anchoring restrictions with some success.
Ann
I think you have to have some restrictions or anchorages become floating junkyards.
There should be areas for temporary transiting vessels, waiting out a storm, sheltering from a storm or cruising.
Maybe another area for working vessels anchoring but they should have fishery permits.
Old 27-11-2019, 16:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
It’s a navigable waterway
The keyword is "navigable". Vessels anchoring should be navigating to some degree.
Old 27-11-2019, 16:46   #6

www.abc.net.au

The number of homeless people in Australia jumped by more than 15,000 — or 14 per cent — in the five years to 2016, according to census data. The Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) said 116,000 people were homeless on census night in 2016, representing 50 homeless people per 10,000.

Homelessness in Australia - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Homelessness_in_Australia

It's not really just a problem in US and Europe.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 16:47   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The example given in that Fox article was an employed plumber who could not afford the $9000.00/month cost of owning a land house.

If those numbers are real (i dont live in the US)......Seems to me the municipality could encourage foreshore lease developments with all the utilities and sewage tratment services for floating communities at a much reduced cost.

If we are talking about unemployed homeless living on the streets, that is a much deeper problem with mental issues. Those people should not be near the water but in centers focussed on their rehabilitation.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 17:56   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Homeless Anchor out

Quote:

Are these rules even enforceable? If not I’d just do me and tell them to go fix the zillion actual real problems.

I don’t know about California, but people have come back from work in Key West to find their boat gone, and when they find it, it’s being cut up and disposed of. Now I assume due process was followed with warnings etc, and I’d guess ignored.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 18:38   #9

Boat: Norseman 447

I am from Long Beach California. A friend of mine put on the moorings in behind Island white. That is the main Anchorage for Long Beach Harbor. You can anchor off to the side of the Moorings or behind them for a period of time, used to be 72 hours. If you’re on board they’re not gonna kick you out
Old 28-11-2019, 05:32   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Would it be insensitive to note, that if 79% of accidents happen in the home, we’d finally have some good news for the homeless?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 05:36   #11

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don’t know about California, but people have come back from work in Key West to find their boat gone, and when they find it, it’s being cut up and disposed of. Now I assume due process was followed with warnings etc, and I’d guess ignored.

Wow, guess their fathers never gave them the lesson , if it’s not yours don’t touch it.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 07:31   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Many "liveaboard and cruisers" among us that maintain our boats and not let them become floating garbage and trash barges welcome reasonable restrictions on anchoring etc. I think the problem is that in a PC world you have to dance around the issue you wish to address (boat trash scum) and in the wording others get sweep up in the rules.
Old 28-11-2019, 07:37   #13

Quote:
Wow, guess their fathers never gave them the lesson , if it’s not yours don’t touch it.
I have not seen any evidence that the municipalities along a coast have the right to own or administer a bay or waterway just because they are located on its shore.
Apparently, they assume that role because they happen to police the areas and there isn't a lot of struggle to oppose them expanding that role to infringe anchoring, for example. I have seen the coastal commission step in along the California coast to fight for surfer access and protect wetland habitats from development apparently given the green light by these cities or counties. So, it would seem that the commission has the authority. Getting them to fight a municipality with their staff lawyers seems to be very difficult, however.
Old 28-11-2019, 07:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg4cocokai View Post
I am from Long Beach California. A friend of mine put on the moorings in behind Island white. That is the main Anchorage for Long Beach Harbor. You can anchor off to the side of the Moorings or behind them for a period of time, used to be 72 hours. If you’re on board they’re not gonna kick you out
I see two issues. Does the city have the right to lease a waterway for its own profit to a private mooring company? Apparently, some counties and cities think they do. They "own" the marina areas. Some get leased.
Also, Long Beach, California attempts to restrict anchoring to Friday and Saturday nights. That's from the Harbor office. I think it is over reach.
Old 28-11-2019, 08:23   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Washington state has solved this issue to some degree. They passed a state law requiring vessels that are anchored out to move at a minimum of 5 nautical miles every 30 days with no more than a total of 90 days in a calendar year in the same anchorage. Unless on an approved private mooring.

From the wac code
) What is the length of time that a vessel may be moored or anchored on state-owned aquatic lands? Persons shall not moor or anchor a vessel in the same area on state-owned aquatic lands for periods longer than thirty consecutive days or for more than a total of ninety days in any three hundred sixty-five day period. For purposes of WAC 332-52-155, "in the same area" means within a radius of five miles of any location where the vessel was previously moored or anchored.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default....ite=332-52-155

Tags
anchor