Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 13:12   #106

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41
Re: Hit and Run in St Maarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Yep! But still no pics or explanation of damages. I missed he was a Swiss Lawyer. I seem not to like lawyers unless they work for me also. But his occupation would make me think he would not run? JMHO

I'm sorry. If somewhat smells like fish?
When everything smells fishy you might just have a fish shoved up your nose....

Good luck with the search, don't feel you need to justify anything to anyone here.

Sent from my C6730 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 14:07   #107

i personally wouldnt care much about what people think. if i got hit and the guy left, ill be all over the internet. i wouldnt care much to delete and all this. Internet shaming should be used more especially if you have video proof. If you are scared about internet shaming then dont be a dick and leave without settling the issues. you leave you are asking me to internet shame you.
onlyacatwilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 14:39   #108

Quote:
Yep! But still no pics or explanation of damages. I missed he was a Swiss Lawyer. I seem not to like lawyers unless they work for me also. But his occupation would make me think he would not run? JMHO

I'm sorry. If somewhat smells like fish?
If something smells fishy, then it's something near you.

You cannot smell anything over the internet. Yet.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 14:48   #109

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I guess I am lower than whale **** with all the breeding hearts. So be it. Everyone seems to want to support the small guy with no evidence? I have seen pics of the bad guy and his boat. Still hadn't of the damage to the OP's boat? As someone said maybe I have the smell of fish stuck up my nose?

I cannot believe there are so many people willing to crucify a guy with no evidence other than a post?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 16:02   #110

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Cattdence, not that you smell like fish but let's get back to the objective of this thread, To find the perp who damaged his boat and then disappeared,

i agree with you that maybe the perp ( Gerad Skirol, a lawyer from Basle Switzerland, in his Bavaria) had simply continued on his cruise without realising he had left some unsettled business behind him but that can all be resolved if the guy is found. You would be better to focus on helping to find this guy.
andrew
Old 10-04-2016, 16:41   #111
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I don't see any crucifixes; I see a guy trying to find someone and explaining why. It's exactly what the majority of us would do. He agreed to sort it out and then buggered off without making any arrangements.

Calling the OP out for trying to find him is just churlish. He's got a right to be pee'd off here...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 17:10   #112

Boat: Key West 2020 CC
pirate Re: Hit and Run in St Maarten

Quote:
I guess I am lower than whale **** with all the breeding hearts. So be it. Everyone seems to want to support the small guy with no evidence? I have seen pics of the bad guy and his boat. Still hadn't of the damage to the OP's boat? As someone said maybe I have the smell of fish stuck up my nose?

I cannot believe there are so many people willing to crucify a guy with no evidence other than a post?
Cadence, you are not alone in your skepticism. We only have one side of the story and even pictures might not satisfy some posters.
Just another reason to get written or video evidence as well as filing an incident report with the proper authorities.
Old 10-04-2016, 17:27   #113

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

The OP posted on the Sint Maarten sailors FB page on Wednesday and has got some real time local help including pics of the incident. I don't believe he has found the owner of the Bavaria yet but he will probably show up or be tracked down.
Almost all the islands have FB cruisers pages now and then some more general pages such as the Eastern Caribbean cruisers and Coconut Telegraph. Much more targeted audience who may actually know and see the boats involved!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 17:41   #114

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:

Looks like you are ready to ride this ship loaded with a cargo of skepticism all the way to the bottom.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 17:44   #115

Boat: Skookum 53'

I wonder what happened to the "be nice" rule here, the man has a problem and has come here asking for help. By the by Yachtsplinter, I am sorry for your troubles, being the sort, that has what my attorney calls "situational morality", I would be inclined to proceed as has been previously suggested, since you have all the pertinent information, have the vessel repaired, bill it out to the guy that hit you. Get your repairs and go on your merry way, he probably thought that is what you were going to do in the first place and won't understand how you thought, he ran out on you.
Old 10-04-2016, 17:51   #116

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

While I have been on the OP's side from the start, I would like to hear a brief description of the damages done.It could be that living on the boat precludes limited access to the internet.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 19:47   #117

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We've been struck at anchor, too. It's a terrible violation when the boat is damaged and you personally didn't cause it. I have sympathy for Yachtsplinter in his distress.

I do believe using the local cruiser VHF net will probably do the most good for him, that's where the local eyes are that will help him. And thanks, SailorBoy1 for the suggestion, too, and Boatman61, too.

I understand the desire to envision the situation clearly, however, I, too, am just wondering about all we can't know about. I'm not saying Marifla handled the situation well, but we really don't know the skipper's intentions, which may be to return and pony up, and may not. I suspect that the lawyer is wealthier than YachtSplinter, and it is a trivial amount of money represented here, trivial to a wealthy man. I don't think he needs to run away. In fact, if there is all the "honesty" stuff in Swiss law, then, that man knows he's coming back to tidy up the issue.

It is not necessary to always assume the worst of others, and indeed, may draw from them the very behavior you wish to avoid. I think we should not condemn Marifla's skipper because of a missed communication. We really do not know what was said, only what one person reported.

The driver of the boat that struck us was drunk. He had no insurance, not even a mobile phone or a postal address. Yet, his family pitched in, and a proper professional repair of the damage was made, at no out of pocket costs to us.

Yes, for sure, next time (and I hope there isn't one) get the insurance details. Work out the situation completely from the beginning. That is a good, constructive takeaway from this occurrence.

But for now, perhaps it is just better to help YachtSplinter by being his eyes,
and not vilify Gerard in public.

Ann

On edit, I, too, would be interested to see pics of the damage, and to learn what will be involved in the repairs: in our case it involved 10 days tied up where the scarfing and epoxying could be done prior to the painting. I think it will help YachtSplinter, also, to find a craftsperson who can properly repair his boat, or perhaps he can do it himself, since he built her? Good luck with it, YS, not an easy time, just now.

A.
Old 10-04-2016, 20:11   #118
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

If his intentions were good I doubt very much that he'd leave without communicating what he was doing. And if they are good, then he's very naive to just leave and not think anything of it.

Who makes an agreement to fix damages and then leaves without making any further arrangements? Dodgy people...

People need to give the OP a break - of course he'd be upset. So would everyone here, if they're honest with themselves.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 22:23   #119

Quote:

Is there some sort of reading comprehension problem here?

He asked for help finding the guy. That's it. Period. End of story. He's not asking you to shoot him, or crucify him, or judge him, or convict him, or drag him back, or anything else.

If you know where he is, great. Otherwise, you're not being very helpful.
Old 10-04-2016, 22:30   #120

This is getting pretty funny now.

The owner's name is Gerard Sirot. The boat name is "Marifa." Let's try not to mangle it up any further than we already have. LOL

Hopefully he'll have some luck tracking "Marifa" down via VHF in the next few days.