Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2016, 15:36   #76

Boat: Norseman 400
Re: Hit and Run in St Maarten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Has anyone considered maybe a tad of extortion?
Oh, for Pete's sake!

Old 07-04-2016, 15:51   #77

Quote:
Post 2. If it smells like fish it must be fish.I hate to post a thread like this, but my boat is the only thing I own, it's 21 feet long and took me 3 years of my spare time to build. I am very upset this man thinks he can damage my boat and then just leave without sorting the damage out.

Please help me find him, this is not how the sailing community should treat each other.

Sorry, everyone can think I am uncaring. Looks like a crock of **** from the gitgo?

Immediately considered the possibility but quickly rejected it.

Not going to list the ways and reasons that a scammer would do things differently - no need to give crooks an education.

Asking yourself how stupid any crook would have to be to pick a lawyer for a victim might help convince you. Crooks pick dummies, OK?

Old 07-04-2016, 16:28   #78

Boat: Beneteau 473

Okay, I've come across one or two dummy lawyers. Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-04-2016, 16:56   #79

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
Immediately considered the possibility but quickly rejected it.

Not going to list the ways and reasons that a scammer would do things differently - no need to give crooks an education.

Asking yourself how stupid any crook would have to be to pick a lawyer for a victim might help convince you. Crooks pick dummies, OK?
I missed the guy was a lawyer? Maybe a better reason? Easier to settle something than dick with it. I am sorry a self built 21 footer is all he has.

Ihe other appears to have some money. I'm not rich but something seems wrong?

JMHO
Old 07-04-2016, 17:57   #80

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I took a quick gander at the boats at anchor off Marigot while returning from Simpson Bay to Grand Case and didn't see the vessel lying there; but there are a lot of boats out there. Good luck finding her! I'll be listening on the morning net tomorrow morning for your announcement, Splinter.
Old 07-04-2016, 17:59   #81

Quote:
I missed the guy was a lawyer? Maybe a better reason? Easier to settle something than dick with it. I am sorry a self built 21 footer is all he has.

Ihe other appears to have some money. I'm not rich but something seems wrong?

JMHO
Don't you mean "easier to run than stand up and be a man"?

Just another example of someone who doesn't think they need to follow the rules. I see it all of the time on the fwy when cars jump out of line and drive down the shoulder to the next offramp thinking they're more important than everyone else.

Then you see them: 2 BMW drivers and a MB driver, all getting tickets just 100 ft before the off ramp. If only karma was more consistent and swift.
Old 07-04-2016, 18:11   #82

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor647 View Post
Oh, for Pete's sake!
I'd go a bit further than that, but then prefer not to use bad language!
Old 07-04-2016, 18:15   #83

BMW should offer buyers a discreet forehead tattoo so they don't need to get sweaty hands in the singles bars from fiddling with the key fobs.

Well-known fact, 9 out of 10 roadtards drive 'em.

"They're rear wheel drive, you know. Sooo much better for handling"

edit: Jeez, am I getting a little bit grumpy? Tell me if I'm getting grumpy will you?
Old 07-04-2016, 18:27   #84

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Post 2. If it smells like fish it must be fish.I hate to post a thread like this, but my boat is the only thing I own, it's 21 feet long and took me 3 years of my spare time to build. I am very upset this man thinks he can damage my boat and then just leave without sorting the damage out.

Please help me find him, this is not how the sailing community should treat each other.

Sorry, everyone can think I am uncaring. Looks like a crock of **** from the gitgo?

I think you should change your handle from Cadence to Clueless.
Old 07-04-2016, 18:47   #85

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Send a message via Skype™ to SaltyMetals

Idea. Might be a bit unconventional, possibly incorrect vhf protocol, but how about a PANPAN on vhf asking for info on current location of "Marifa" to be passed back to the OP.Asking anyone hearing it to pass it on. Better still on ssb. Remember that apparently the vhf on "Marifa" is not working according to Yachtsplinter.

However if the owner, Gérard Sirol, is a lawyer in Basle he will be registered on the local list of lawyers and definitely there will be a contact number. Also the local institute/bar. Then, if boat is on Swiss flag it will most certainly be registered and through this the OP cld find the insurance company (presuming "Marifa" is actually insured which is most likely under Swiss regs). Very nice of other cruisers to check locally for the boat but going to th origin in Basle is more likely to get a result. Gérard Sirol is unlikely to wish to be barred from practising law in Switzerland. Most of my legal contacts in Switzerland are in Geneva but it shld be easy to trace this guy's origins and professional registration (even if Marifa is hard to find).

The other step would be for Yachtspinter to do the repairs and then send invoice to the Basle address of Gérard Sirol. If not paid after 30 days then register a claim at the Basle small claims court (Bureau des Poursuite in French but it will he a local name in Swiss german). If this is still unpaid the next step gets more serious: sequestration of assets to pay the bill, etc.

Such pressure wld help focus the mind of the owner of "Marifa". Sooner or later one of his Basle work colleagues will be in touch with him to let him know of the can of worms that he has created.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:25   #86

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

LoL, this topic,, i guess you should get over, try few things like the vhf morning net, put a claim in the police station, and thats all unles you want to explore the whole Leeward and windward islands looking for a Bavaria with a ******* at the helm, St Martin have a bad reputation from Skippers runing away after a collision, in many cases with the police finding the offenders after all, like a beautiful ply ketch that after years in the boatyard doing a full refit , the owner decide to splash the boat in the water and go for the Marigot anchorage in a beautiful sunny day , the only mistake it make was to drop the anchor close to the bridge area , a stupid charter Skipper runing a big Catana smash the stern of the Ketch sending the boat to the bottom with the owner onboard and running away inside of the lagoon, the police that afternoon found the skipper and the owner refloat the boat and put it back in the yard,, seriously if you dont have a fresh police claim with pics and proofs your chances are slim,,, i dont know what kind of flag sport that Bavaria , but if is a french flag vessel try the maritime gendarmerie in the french side, repair your damages , learn for the next time , no ******* leave the area until he pay for the damages , and if you have a similar incident in the future, i hope not, call the police as soon you can... Cheers.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:13   #87

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Your best bet may be to put in a claim with your own insurance and let them go after the guy that did the damage.
S/V B'Shert
Yes being on a similar situation I agree but it will serve the OP little if he has not a witness and if he had not participated the accident to the authorities with pictures of the damage.

The best thing is to have a statement signed by witness(es) with copy of their identification documentation and to deliver that to the authorities with the accident participation.

Even so it is only to expect they move if the damages are huge or if people had get hurt. On my case repair cost were around 5000 euros and even so they did not took the trouble to come to see the boat, but they took all papers in.

If it was not for that my insurance company would never be able to get a quick settlement with the other guy insurance company. And if I had not an insurance company I would have wasted more than 5000 euros to track the guy down and get him to court, even if hopefully I would get my money back....but one never know with courts and justice and It can take several years.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:35   #88

Hi Cadence

Thanks for your kind words, it's always very heart warming to get messages of support and help for my search.

Just to let you know I have just been messed around with the local police and coastguard and yesterday spent the whole day driving around the island spending money I do not have.

As a scam... I must be really stupid but where is the scam ? I have 3 different nearby boats as witnesses, I just got a message that another boat has photos of the incident.

When I get the photos, I will pass them on to you.

As the boat as the only thing I own..it's true. What don't I have enough personal wealth for you ?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:41   #89

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I missed the morning network this morning, Splinter. Did you announce your search on it? I have a rental car today in order to do my shopping and provisioning and could check out Anse Marcel and Oyster Pond if you didn't do so yesterday already.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:12   #90

YachtSplinter, did you check your private messages yet?

Posting witness pictures and statements here would help tip the balance with decision makers there I think.
They could bring pressure to bear with just an email.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: