Originally Posted by YachtSplinter
Thank you everyone who has been looking on the Island for Gerard, and to people looking on the other islands too. I really appreciate it.
I have yet to collect the photos from the witness boat as they are still in the Lagoon
on the Dutch side and I am on the French side. They have put the photos on a cd so I need to collect them.
Just for the naysayers here, myself and Gerard didn't really start to discus a price
for the repairs
, I was to collect some quotes from the Dutch side and I asked him to find some on the French side and we could go from there. To me that seems more than reasonable. I have received one quote so far and the cost was $600.
I have learnt a lot from this experience, next time I will not be so trusting and get a copy of the insurance
documents, boat papers passport ect and report to the authorities straight away.
The likes of Cadence are not really needed here so thank you for the bumps but I would ask you kindly to leave your comments to your self. Maybe if you can find Gerard then you could defend him if you like, at least then your efforts would be put to good use in finding him first.
I had a similar incident with a good outcome for me. A boat collided with my bow rail whilst at anchor
and the owner drove off, later claiming he thought there was no damage. By the time I saw the crushed bow rail he was out of earshot and never looked back. He was heading for shallow water
so I couldn't chase after him. I tried on the radio
, but failed to get him, then called the coastguard to report a hit and run. They sped off in their cutter
over the horizon and a few hours later we were both in the coastguard office to deal with it. I got a witness statement from a neighbouring boat in the meanwhile in case he denied it. He had no insurance
and insisted there was little damage and wanted to give me $600 to settle it, but I believed It would cost more, so we agreed to wait a day whilst I got quotes and he was ordered to not leave. The estimate was $3000 (it did later cost this much). and we met again at the coastguard. He wrote a promise to pay when he got home and had the ability to make a transfer, this was copied to the coastguard. The coastguard wanted me to confirm payment so they could persue the guy if he reneged. Without their involvement I would have been screwed. He became most humble and compliant in their office.
I would involve the authorities again, without hesitation.
I hope you get it sorted. I will watch out for him.