Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2015, 04:20   #16

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Here we go again…a new Florida House bill would eliminate several popular anchora

Quote:
Didnt a law pass in Miami that makes it illegal to tie up your tender or dinghy to any seawall
This ordinance is in Miami Beach, not the city of Miami. These two municipalities really are as different as night and day.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 04:24   #17

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Here we go again…a new Florida House bill would eliminate several popular anchora

I'm hoping SparrowHawk jumps in here. I think he's moored adjacent to the area.

I love the waterskiing bit. Since when does that activity trump anchoring/navigation?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 06:01   #18

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Here we go again…a new Florida House bill would eliminate several popular anchora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I love the waterskiing bit. Since when does that activity trump anchoring/navigation?

According to the proposed legislation, anchoring severely impacts night time water skiing. Apparently, there is no problem for those water skiing during the day.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 07:05   #19

Since most areas one would want to anchor are also good for waterskiing, this would be a good precedent for eliminating any anchorage that someone has a gripe with.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:00   #20

Boat: Morgan 512 51'

OK , now what we need is a method of voicing our minds to the Fl. legislature !!
Several years ago when Miami banned anchoring I wrote a long letter to the members of the city council which actually got several responses from them and I like to think, contributed to the end of that law -- which was un-enforceable any way.
If many of us write reasoned comment letters to the Fl. Reps. it will at least give them some pause.
Can anyone here provide the names and addresses?? That would be most helpful
captain mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I hate these anchoring laws... BUT... there is a very few vocal wealthy people pushing this agenda in Florida for their own benefit. I hope that once they are satisfied, we will see this issue go away. There are very few other areas that could be targeted as being "waterskiing areas" that would not also cause issues with those same owners docked boats.

I am hoping this very targeted selection of 4 anchorage areas ends the debate or at least takes some of the punch out of a statewide bill to prevent all anchoring.

There are still several areas in the Miami area that can be used to anchor and I can see why they would want to target the Destin anchorage. So, while not a complete win, this is a way to shut up that few jerks causing problems.
We can hope. But, my life experience has been that the super wealthy generally get that way by never being satisfied with what they already have.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:57   #22

How to find a Florida Senator:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Senators

How to find a Florida representative:

Florida House of Representatives - Representatives for 2014 - 2016 { Crisafulli }

---or---

Florida House of Representatives - Find Your Representative

Remember, you're looking at State Senate and State House, not Federal in Washington D.C.
Old 31-12-2015, 09:13   #23

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
According to the proposed legislation, anchoring severely impacts night time water skiing. Apparently, there is no problem for those water skiing during the day.

Mark
Dumb question here. Why would anyone water ski at night?

This is all about control. Don't think it isn't. The control freaks want to tell you what you can and cannot do. I warned about this over a year ago time to call and send emails to my legislator again. You will have to do the same.
Old 31-12-2015, 09:26   #24

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Here we go again…a new Florida House bill would eliminate several popular anchora

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#tr...1f3f7ca6f815d1

Waterway Guide

and BoatUS are a couple of sources
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:44   #25

Boat: 1985 S2 9.2C
Florida Representatives in the impacted areas

Warning LONG Post -----

The information below is by location as referenced in the House Bill. Example location a) is defined in the bill as: The section of Middle River lying between Northeast 21st Court and the Intracoastal Waterway in Broward County.

a) appears to be in House District 93: Representative George R. Moraitis, Jr.
Florida House of Representatives - George*R.*Moraitis, Jr.*- 2014 - 2016 { Crisafulli }

b & c) appear to be in House District 113: Representative David Richardson
Florida House of Representatives - David*Richardson*- 2014 - 2016 { Crisafulli }

d) appears to be in House District 4: Representative Matt Gaetz
Florida House of Representatives - Matt*Gaetz*- 2014 - 2016 { Crisafulli }

How to contact Florida Representatives:
Effective Communication With Your Representative

I will let someone else propose a letter that should be sent.
daw_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:59   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

BoatU.S. has been very effective in working with the State of Florida to find reasonable solutions to anchoring in FL waters. They have a lobbyist in-state, and they follow the subject closely.

May I suggest that BoatU.S. may be the right "vehicle" to send your comments to, and possibly to support in their efforts?

Cheers, and Happy New Year,

Chuck Hawley
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:19   #27

I think it's worth contacting Boats U.S. in addition to your representative.

I wonder if those behind these bills are hoping to slide these ones through, as on the surface they seem to be more of local interest. They're hoping for an appeasement approach.

At least they're not affecting MY local anchorage, right? But they're also setting a precedent where localities can close off anchorages for essentially any reason. What's the rationale for closing off Crab Island after dark to boaters? When protecting the "image" of the locality is a valid rationale, what rationale would be invalid?
Old 31-12-2015, 10:24   #28

Boat: Kadey-Krogen 38 Cutter

I would also suggest the Seven Seas Cruising Association. They also have group that has been very involved in the defeat of past attempts to restrict anchoring. SSCA.org.
sailstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:32   #29

Remember that this is just a bill in the House , many , many steps must be taken before it even reaches the house floor . Many hundreds of bills are filed and only a few reach the floor . Then it will follow the long process again in the senate , hearings in several committees , maybe even some in many parts of the state , if it passes the senate in the exact same form it is placed on Rick Scotts desk for his signature . If you are concerned write letters to every one that profits from boaters .
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:36   #30

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Dumb question here. Why would anyone water ski at night?

This is all about control. Don't think it isn't. The control freaks want to tell you what you can and cannot do. I warned about this over a year ago time to call and send emails to my legislator again. You will have to do the same.

That was a tongue in cheek comment based on water skiing being mentioned as a reason the ban is necessary, coupled with the proposed ban being in effect only from sundown to sunrise.

Ergo, it must be only the night skiers that are being burdened.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchorages, florida