Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 10:53   #1

Headless bodies of pair on a Lagoon440 found in Thailand

Maybe interesting for some readers here. Headless bodies from a pair on a Lagoon 440 found in Thailand:
Headless bodies found off Koh Larn | Bangkok Post: Most recent
la reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 11:49   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Headless bodies of pair on a Lagoon440 found in Thailand

Koh Larn is about 6 miles from Pattaya. Ive been in Pattaya and Jomtiem, north of there. Pataya can be a little seedy with all the partying going on there but this is way out of character for Thailand.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 12:06   #3

"Muslims comprise Thailand's largest religious minority and are concentrated mainly in the southernmost provinces of Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala, and Satun. Islam is said to have been introduced to the Malay Peninsula by Arab traders and adventures during the 13th century. Most Thai Muslims are Malay descent, reflecting the common cultural heritage Thailand's southernmost provinces share with Malaysia. "

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 12:12   #4

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"Muslims comprise Thailand's largest religious minority and are concentrated mainly in the southernmost provinces of Narathiwat, Pattani, Yala, and Satun. Islam is said to have been introduced to the Malay Peninsula by Arab traders and adventures during the 13th century. Most Thai Muslims are Malay descent, reflecting the common cultural heritage Thailand's southernmost provinces share with Malaysia. "
So you are suggesting that the incident was religion related or terrorist related? Have there been other incidents upon cruisers from the muslims in various areas? This is one thing my better half is concerned with and makes them hesitant to cruise out side the Gulf of Mexico area. World politics are changing rapidly and there is - to me- various reasons to be concerned in certain countries or areas of certain countries. I was hoping that crusing would be a way of leaving these particular issues behind but it seems not
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 12:23   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I was rolling around in my head the whole Muslim thing. Pattaya has very little of that. Like you say Pattani and south. I was there at the beginning of the surge during the Iraq conflict. Most Muslims in Pattani stayed indoors and just peeked through their curtains at us. Very non-aggressive. I was warned not to go to Yala to a temple I knew of, up in the caves there. I was with the Pattani's Cheif of Police and my GF's father who was a former major in the Thai army. I just got a lot of glares but nothing else.
This could possibly be a situation where someone wanted it to look like a Muslim killing. Sadly, the police there are not real high-tech with their methods.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 12:43   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Muslims only account for 4% of the population.

Quote:
Thailand's prevalent religion is Theravada Buddhism, which is an integral part of Thai identity and culture. Active participation in Buddhism is among the highest in the world; according to the last census (2000), 94.6% of the country's population self-identified as Buddhists of the Theravada tradition. Muslims are the second largest religious group in Thailand, comprising 4.6% of the population.
With the male wearing a local insurance companies T-Shirt it looks like a local couple and crime... extremists unlikely to ransack the boat?

This photo shows you where the extremists are way at the other end of the country to the murders.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-MalaysiaThailand_(en).jpg
Views:	603
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	87251  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 13:09   #7

Quote:
I think someone has watch too much Fox News..
la reverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 15:18   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
WTF has religion to do with this report?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 16:07   #9

Well... we don't know do we.. but beheading is radical islam's trademark. Why behead the bodies? just sayin'.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 16:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Drug cartels do a lot of beheading as well.

Coops.
Old 28-08-2014, 16:25   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Probably by the end of today, the police will know who the owner of the yacht was/is. The male decedent may or may not be/have been the owner, ditto the female.

We really know very little, and unlikely to ever be party to the whole story. The ransackers of the boat locked it afterwards: that's weird! Decapitation may not be because of Islamic terrorism, but to delay identification.... But is unusual in common robberies. A strange story.

Ann
Old 28-08-2014, 16:31   #12

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Yep, looks more like plain murder, didn't want them found,
and maybe had weighted rope around the necks that did the beheading and bodies floated back up. In any case, bad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Probably by the end of today, the police will know who the owner of the yacht was/is. The male decedent may or may not be/have been the owner, ditto the female.

We really know very little, and unlikely to ever be party to the whole story. The ransackers of the boat locked it afterwards: that's weird! Decapitation may not be because of Islamic terrorism, but to delay identification.... But is unusual in common robberies. A strange story.

Ann
Old 28-08-2014, 23:48   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Let's not get a-head of ourselves here. Not much info to go on.

We could be head-ing for a nasty religious debate if we don't wait for more info.

So let's not dive head-long to conclusions...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 01:08   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie and the kid's and I spent a BUNCH of time all thru the areas shown on that map! I know it was a long time ago(over 20 years) but even in the heavy muslim areas we never had any problems! In fact folks treated us with great friendliness. Our blonde haired kids were a big draw in a lot of places we went ! I have no idea why these folks were killed, but now a days there's a lot more reasons for trouble then back then !! lots more drugs and such around, maybe they just got in the wrong place at the wrong time !! Sure sad ! Hate to see some of the finest cruiseing area in the whole Pacific ruined by something like this happening!
Old 29-08-2014, 02:38   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

A lot goes down in Pattaya, they have above average numbers of people accidentally falling from their hotel balcony's! It is the sex tourism capital of Thailand after all. Also a lot of Russians there..
You just have to read the local news: Pattaya One – Pattaya News, Thailand News, World News, updated 24 hours a day | Pattaya News

I went to Satun a couple of weeks ago, looks like its in the extremists part of your map :P Its actually a pretty popular place for cruisers to haul out. And Langkawi is Orange? haha
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, lagoon, Thailand