Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 19:30   #1

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Happy Pagan New Years Eve !

And tomorrow is the first day of the pre-christian Pagan new year. With the full moon coinciding with the Winter Solstice, the shortest day of the year, we begin the new 13 moon year of 13,713, or some such.

How did we get to the clumsy 12 month year in the first place? Probably the church catolica consolidating power with the one god thingie. 13 moons leaves us a neat 28.069 days per month with 0.897th of a day to add to whichever month strikes our celebratory fancy. I think I prefer the anamist notion of all things having a spirit and each thing being a minor god fitting into the vast whole cosmos.
Old 20-12-2010, 19:45   #2

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
With all due regard to all Federal Government regulations concerning universal non partisanship responsibility in regards to all situations that may be deemed to be in any way not compliant with all due respect to everything Politically Correct*, greetings.

Please accept, with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Canada great. Not to imply that Canada is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only country in the Western Hemisphere. Also this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wish.

Happy Festive
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 20:55   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
yeah yeah yeah my celt ancestors predate druids. does that mean i get 2 new years every year????
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 21:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Christmas, with it's same old, only worse every year, jam us into a mold, cookie cutter celebration has never been a favorite of mine though I do concede for the sake of peace to go along with all and sundry. I like the idea of Pagan New Year and have never enjoyed counting back to figure out what year Sappho wrote "raise high the roof beams carpenters" just because it was written before a certain characters birth seems to caused a calendrical catastrophe of succinct proportions, however, the idea that the year should began with its worst weather, in my northocentric point of view, seems wrong!

Will someone hand that guy a beer to shut him up?

Ooo thanks (multiple personalities are a much underappreciated affliction).

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 21:30   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Have a belter Beltain!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 21:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

All Hail the Green Man

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 21:45   #7

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Happy Yule everyone.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 03:00   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
With all due regard to all Federal Government regulations concerning universal non partisanship responsibility in regards to all situations that may be deemed to be in any way not compliant with all due respect to everything Politically Correct*, greetings.

Please accept, with no obligation, implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make Canada great. Not to imply that Canada is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only country in the Western Hemisphere. Also this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wish.

Happy Festive
I ditto that!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 04:30   #9

Boat: Seafarer 26
Good grief. You got so PC I had to look it up.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 15:43   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
You lost me at about " due regard..."

Dave
Old 21-12-2010, 16:01   #11

Boat: grampian 26
pagan new year

If pagan new years celebration involves running around naked barking at the moon when it is minus ten count me out. A rum by the fire will do for me.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 16:02   #12

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
If pagan new years celebration involves running around naked barking at the moon when it is minus ten count me out. A rum by the fire will do for me.
If that is what constitute's a pagan new years celebration, we have a different term for that on dock six: Friday night.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 16:19   #13

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post

Turns out, there are pagans in the tropics too.

Funny how what is old becomes new again. Nothing to do with PC, a label attached disparagingly to all things violating current norms of thought and behavior. It's interesting that a lot of modern physics seems to be taken directly from the texts of ancient asian philosophy.

"Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers." ~Mignon McLaughlin
Old 21-12-2010, 16:29   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post

Turns out, there are pagans in the tropics too.

Funny how what is old becomes new again. Nothing to do with PC, a label attached disparagingly to all things violating current norms of thought and behavior. It's interesting that a lot of modern physics seems to be taken directly from the texts of ancient asian philosophy.
"Society honors its living conformists and its dead troublemakers." ~Mignon McLaughlin
LOL... a lot more than physic's truth be told...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 16:34   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Please accept with no obligation, implied or explicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2011 but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great.

Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere . Also, this wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference, wishee or type of boat................_/)