Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 05:24   #91

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Now all we need is the "rescue."
Not even any shots fired, yet.
Best adventure movie I've seen since, since, Rambo.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:36   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
extract from
Are We All Pirates? | The Gleda Project

Lastly a reminder that there is a dedicated e-mail address for messages of support and reading material for Hans. Anything sent to that address will be printed off and taken in by visitors.
Help4Hans@gmail.com
Old 10-02-2011, 05:41   #93

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Anyone have a dedicated email address to send messages of support to the victim? In the interest of fairness...
Old 10-02-2011, 06:05   #94

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Who Was The Victim?

Who was the victim? Hans-Knees-or Bomsie-daisies?
Clyde
Old 10-02-2011, 06:05   #95

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Anyone have a dedicated email address to send messages of support to the victim? In the interest of fairness...
Since she is not in jail you could send them directly to her. No need for a messenger service.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:07   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Why would anyone think we would like to support a convicted criminal? There are organizations to help the "wrongly convicted" that he could apply to for help, if he feels he has been wrongly convicted.

atoll, just because you think Klaar is a good fellow doesn't mean that he didn't commit the crime. In fact two courts in the country of South Africa have said that he did commit the crime.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:29   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
meerly passing on info from another site,that has had numerous enquiries to his well being.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:34   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Why would anyone think we would like to support a convicted criminal? There are organizations to help the "wrongly convicted" that he could apply to for help, if he feels he has been wrongly convicted...
The Wits Justice Project will investigate the plight of those locked up in South Africa's prisons.
In partnership with the Wits Law Clinic, the Legal Resource Centre (LRC), the Open Democracy Advice Centre (ODAC), the Julia Mashele Trust, and the US Innocence Project, the Justice Project investigates individual cases of prisoners wrongly convicted or awaiting trial.
You can contact the Justice Project on: 011 717 4087
Or email: justiceproject.journalism@wits.ac.za

More ➥ The Wits Justice Project - Journalism.co.za

Old 10-02-2011, 10:31   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I would agree, but this is not the only woman who has said Klaar had a problem with the word no and in many cases, where there is smoke there is fire.

What I find interesting is that a lot of people on here paint Klaar as the victim, blaming the two South African courts, the media, his counsel, the New Zealand courts; have said one woman was a gold digger (yet Klaar was not known to have any money) and she set him up, the other woman has come forward only to sell books, and now he ran because he was unjustly convicted. All the while knowing that Klaar cheated on his family, left them behind to fend for themselves when he took off, was a KNOWN smuggler and choose not to continue his appeals in TWO different countries, one against the conviction and the other against his extradition. I also (again) note that his own country did not protest the conviction as wrong, the sentence as unfair or assist him in any way during his trials or his extradition.

But he is a good bloke.
I haven't a clue if the guy is guilty or not. But a few things I've learned about justice systems in this world are:

A: Justice is VERY OFTEN based on what one can afford. One without adequate resources to defend himself once accused OFTEN receives a different version of , ahem, - "Justice" than one with the means to adequately defend himself. Systems are OFTEN more concerned with process than they are with either truth or right vs wrong. Whenever such subjects come up, I routinely suggest that people take a trip to their Superior Courthouse and spend an afternoon witnessing the proceedings of the day. It's a VERY educational process that would turn the stomachs of many. It's a combination of the game show "Let's make a deal" and one will invariably witness different "Justice" being doled out to different people. One thing that is blindingly obvious is the blokes with the high dollar attorney's receive an entirely different treatment than those without. HARDLY justice. The routine of it all a bit repulsive.

B: Politics is an inherent part of a justice system. Politics often is the final determinant of when ones country will offer a citizen support, and when it will not. For the average Joe, their is little consular support offered citizens when abroad other than expediting paperwork.

I tend to be of like mind with those 2 US Air Marshalls who arrested a paasenger aboard a flight to Brazil last year and were detained by Brazillian authorities for assault upon the plane landing. They lied, and rand out the back door and high tailed it to the airport and used their badges to get on the first flight out. They didn't stick around and "Obey the Law" and chance the Brazillian Judicial process. I think they did the smart thing. And these were two "LawMen" absconding. They clearly understood the reality of the situation and removed themselves from harms way for fear of unfair treatment and finding themselves in great peril.

Quote:
Upon arrival at Rio de Janerio airport, the duo attempted to turn the woman over to local authorities, but they themselves ended up being arrested for assault. As it turns out, the woman they had arrested is the wife of a prominent Brazilian judge.

Their passports were confiscated, and the two were not permitted to leave the country. At this point, they could have waited for the diplomats behind the scenes to fix the situation, but they opted to flee the county on alternative travel documents.
Two Federal Air Marshals escape Brazil after in-flight assault charge | Gadling.com
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 10-02-2011, 12:00   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
So two Air Marshals break the laws of Brazil in order to not face trial or at least let the prosecuting authorities work things out. Perhaps they were guilty of a crime, but I don't suppose we will ever know. Not likely they will be tried in the U.S.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:06   #101
cruiser

not sure if you missed something or not.. but the point of whether or not he left his family behind is totally irrelevent.

unless of course they conspired with him to skirt the laws and his conviction which of course they would be complicit and accessories to the crime, (either before or after the fact!)

so, it may appear your point is without concern or the main point which is he is a fleeing felon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but several people here have said he deserted or left his family. I haven't read this anywhere. The newspaper article made the statement ..."he fled the country on his yacht, apparently without his wife or children."

Then atoll made this statement ..."saw hans and katy in tahiti in 2002,he did not seem like a hunted man then,especially in an eu country."

Now to me this sounds like maybe it was prearranged that the wife stayed behind when he fled and they got back together once he was safely away. Seems like the logical thing to do, especially considering how much they moved around. Maybe safer for her as well.

Did I miss something?
Old 10-02-2011, 12:13   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
So two Air Marshals break the laws of Brazil in order to not face trial or at least let the prosecuting authorities work things out. Perhaps they were guilty of a crime, but I don't suppose we will ever know. Not likely they will be tried in the U.S.
Some would have you believe the that their flight from authorities is evidence of their guilt. It's the type of incredulous BS that always get's peddled whenever someone decided to take the issue of their own freedom into their own hands. Crazy stuff happens in this world. There are much more than 2 simple black and white reasons why individuals make the choices they do. Interestingly, the "law & Order" crowd didn't seem to have too much of an issue with "Lawmen" who have taken a sworn oath to uphold the law - proceeded to break the law. I think it speaks VOLUMES that "lawmen" took a good hard look at the situation before them and decided that breaking the law and fleeing was their best option. Sometimes THAT is the ONLY option that might provide one with liberty. It's part of that grey area of real life that makes many in the either/or - black/white crowd very uncomfortable.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 10-02-2011, 12:23   #103
cruiser

i have serious issues with the state of our 'system'...i know of way too many folks who skirt the law. some even flagrantly...while others who may have either broken insginificant crimes or no crimes at all, are punished, (held accountable), to an extreme ....

I believe our legal system is totally screwed up.. but with the alternative being every man and woman and child are to fend for themselves, I guess i have no choice but to 'respect' the law

and like stated above, if it were me, and if i had no family/children, I would be flying away from everything, i.e. wrongful convictions, legal convictions, etc... what would be my motivation for staying...less time? hell, anytime is too much time for anything i may have done...

but this discussion is not really about our current legal system, but rather about a guy who was well respected in the community who got a bad deal .. the only thing missing is some support of how it is a bad deal... other then that he is a good guy...and or done some cool stuff before getting caught
Old 10-02-2011, 12:40   #104

Boat: Peterson/Formosa 46 "Hoopoe III"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
MD might say some, as well, don't you think?
What does it say? That she can read? I don't think that having a piece of paper makes you anything more than others. Just like posting for the sake of it makes a guy with 16,000 + posts anything more than an armchair critic/sailor/cruiser or more an authority than others.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:58   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombats View Post
What does it say? That she can read? I don't think that having a piece of paper makes you anything more than others. Just like posting for the sake of it makes a guy with 16,000 + posts anything more than an armchair critic/sailor/cruiser or more an authority than others.
I'll take that as a specific critique of my position, that her MD speaks as much about her, as does her MA (Creative Writing); and also as a general critique of my being.
I hope that you're denying the urge to merely post, just for the sake of it.

Closed Thread