Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 11:51   #16

Boat: coming soon.......
Okay so the picture I posted above are 8" by 10' and come in 4 packs for about $95usd and most people would be able to surround your boats with 2 packs. This will not clean up the oil however it should keep it off the boat until an oil cleanup crew comes to your area to clean the oil out of the water.

The only problem spot I would think of is when you attach them together. The ends are like a sausage and when attached, you will have a small area that will allow some trace oil to get through. I would recommend an old t-shirt and duct tape to bridge the gap. It won't soak up the oil but it might stop it from getting through.

Cost - $200 usd and some old t-shirts.

Could save you hundreds to thousands for cleanup and boat damage repairs.

- Serenity is the state of being serene. Serene means to be calm and peaceful.
Serenity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:55   #17

Boat: Tartan 37 - Sea Bungalow
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaBungalow
Oil Spill Estimated Trajectory

This site uses currents, winds, etc to try and predict the trajectory of the oil spill: The Deepwater Horizon oil spill trajectory ensemble forecast from different numerical models

We are currently in Panama City, FL municipal marina. We still haven't decided on what we are going to do WHEN it hits. So thanks for the thread and ideas.

We'll update info as it happens here on our website: Life on the s/v Sea Bungalow
SeaBungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 13:34   #18

Remember the old commercials--"Dawn: It takes grease out of your way." Well, it does. It floats on the water and repels oil. I've used it in combination with sorbent rags to clean up oil spills. I'm not sure the best way to employ it against what is floating around the Gulf, but I think it could be an essential part of a Gulf boater's toolkit.

Brett
LtBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 23:46   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBrett View Post
Remember the old commercials--"Dawn: It takes grease out of your way." Well, it does. It floats on the water and repels oil. I've used it in combination with sorbent rags to clean up oil spills. I'm not sure the best way to employ it against what is floating around the Gulf, but I think it could be an essential part of a Gulf boater's toolkit.

Brett
You're soaking in it now ...

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 04:37   #20

Boat: Island Packet 37 - 1996
In the Pensacola Area, here are a couple of local links that maybe helpful. Currently booms are deployed and the Pensacola Pass is closed during rising tides. Anyone transiting the area needs to use great caution and take the time to inform themselves as to what is going on. Currently my boat is locked into our cove by booms.
I appreciate this thread and everyone's input.
Chuck Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 06:44   #21

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I heard from a friend in Pensacola that the inlets from Pensacola westward into parts of Louisiana were being closed by booms on the incoming tide and no boats were being allowed through. This may be extended to inlets east of Pensacola as well. So if you're planning an arrival in any of these places you should plan to enter on an outgoing tide. I would advise not trying to start your engine until in the plume of the outgoing tide ( asumming your in a sailboat). There shouldn't be any oil there. If any oil gets into the engine there is a strong possibility that the impeller in the raw water pump will be damaged. If you have an RO water maker do whatever you can to make sure it is protected from the oil. Even a tiny amount of oil will kill the membrane. I would not run one if I was anywhere close to the oil spill. Even the "mist" of oil and dispersant below the surface that may not be visible will destroy the unit. Once the oil is in the system it is probably total replacement time. If the boat actually passes through a slick that contaminates the bottom I would not start the watermaker until the through hull was thoroughly cleaned, which may include a haul out.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 06:52   #22

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat
We made a run for it from Ft Myer. We sailed straight from Pelican Bay to Destin in a little over 55 hours. We left Destin yesterday morning and made it into the ICW at Pensacola. We are headed as I write this to Mobile Bay which should be our last hurdle. We talked to some boaters yesterday who had just come from Mobile Bay and it has very little oil at the moment. We understand the lock waits in New Orleans can exceed 24 hours but that is ok, we will get home. We should be able to enter the Gulf again at Morgan City (at least that is the plan at the moment).
When we entered Pensacola Harbor there were Coast Guard boats there with booms ready. I don't know if they were there are a precaution or were planning to lay them soon. We saw a number of large boats off shore about 10 miles. We assume they were trying to capture oil. You can call Coast Guard at Mobile at 1 251 441 6211. When you call them they may try to transfer you to the "Situation Center" which is BP damage control. BP can not help you in terms of what waterways are open. Only the Coast Guard can do that. Insist that you talk to someone in the Coast Guard. I have a number for New Orleans CG 1 504 846-5923 but I have not tried it as yet.

When we were in Ft Myers we talked with a couple on the "Straight From The Heart" from Clear Lake and they paid Chris Parker ( we are a subscriber and he has always been amazingly accurate) to plan a route and it was to go south in the Gulf around the spill. We were just not comfortable with that plan. We had not done the research, have enough fuel, charts, etc. We think they went that way but we are not sure.
We feel blessed that we made it into the intracoastal and feel very good about getting through Mobile Bay today. We will probably anchor at Daulphin Island.

Thanks for all the support.

Sea Yawl Later!!

Rusty and Linda
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 15:30   #23

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Thanks for the info Everyone. I found another great site, really the best overall so far.
Gulf oil spill info for boaters

Erika

PS
Godspeed Linda and Russ, I will treat you to dinner for a few sea stories
Old 14-06-2010, 13:57   #24

Boat: coming soon.......
^ really cool map! Thanks!

- Serenity is the state of being serene. Serene means to be calm and peaceful.
Serenity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 22:28   #25

Some good ideas here...

Not sure if this has been posted before but here is a live feed from the ROV's working on the leak, check in on it every couple of days as it changes...

Live video link from the ROV monitoring the damaged riser
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2010, 14:11   #26
Bee

Boat: Brown Searunner 37' Moon
Booms - Panama City, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Howard View Post
In the Pensacola Area, here are a couple of local links that maybe helpful. Currently booms are deployed and the Pensacola Pass is closed during rising tides. Anyone transiting the area needs to use great caution and take the time to inform themselves as to what is going on. Currently my boat is locked into our cove by booms.
I appreciate this thread and everyone's input.

Are you still locked into your cove by booms?

I was at Shell Is. yesterday and the water and beach were great...no algae and crystal clear as opposed to Panama City Beach/Laguna Beach has lots of algae and is nasty just like most summers.
We notice lots of fish, birds, and dolphins yesterday. No signs of oil yet other than all the "Boats of Opportunity" motoring around and setting up booms.
I don't think the booms will stop much oil when they are so small and cant stand up to wind/waves/and current.

Did anyone in your cove get notified before the cove was boomed off?

Has anyone ever sailed over a boom?

If there was no oil behind a boom and I were to sail over it during ebb tide, would that make me a bad person? What if I just do it...then apologize to Tony Hayward for crashing his boom party?

Bee
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 11:40   #27

Boat: Island Packet 37 - 1996
I would hope you don't sail over the booms. Several have been damaged by people running over them. I don't give a rip about Tony Hayward, but I hope people that love the water wouldn't want to damage any defense we have to the oil.
Chuck Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 12:34   #28

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Does anybody on the scene have any ideas as to the feasibility of moving a boat (5' draft, 45' air draft) from Mobile to Tampa?
Thanks
Old 28-06-2010, 13:03   #29
Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Howard View Post
I would hope you don't sail over the booms. Several have been damaged by people running over them. I don't give a rip about Tony Hayward, but I hope people that love the water wouldn't want to damage any defense we have to the oil.
Are you still trapped in your bay unable to sail out due to it being boomed off?
Old 28-06-2010, 13:06   #30
Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Does anybody on the scene have any ideas as to the feasibility of moving a boat (5' draft, 45' air draft) from Mobile to Tampa?
Thanks
Sail it.

Don't tell me your trapped too!

Tags
oil, oil spill