We made a run for it from Ft Myer. We sailed straight from Pelican Bay to Destin in a little over 55 hours. We left Destin yesterday morning and made it into the ICW
at Pensacola. We are headed as I write this to Mobile Bay which should be our last hurdle. We talked to some boaters yesterday who had just come from Mobile Bay and it has very little oil at the moment. We understand the lock waits in New Orleans
can exceed 24 hours but that is ok, we will get home. We should be able to enter the Gulf again at Morgan
City (at least that is the plan at the moment).
When we entered Pensacola Harbor there were Coast Guard boats there with booms ready. I don't know if they were there are a precaution or were planning to lay them soon. We saw a number of large boats off shore about 10 miles. We assume they were trying to capture oil. You can call Coast Guard at Mobile at 1 251 441 6211. When you call them they may try to transfer you to the "Situation Center" which is BP damage control. BP can not help you in terms of what waterways are open. Only the Coast Guard can do that. Insist that you talk to someone in the Coast Guard. I have a number for New Orleans
CG 1 504 846-5923 but I have not tried it as yet.
When we were in Ft Myers we talked with a couple on the "Straight From The Heart" from Clear Lake
and they paid Chris Parker ( we are a subscriber and he has always been amazingly accurate) to plan a route
and it was to go south in the Gulf around the spill. We were just not comfortable with that plan. We had not done the research
, have enough fuel
, etc. We think they went that way but we are not sure.
We feel blessed that we made it into the intracoastal and feel very good about getting through Mobile Bay today. We will probably anchor
at Daulphin Island.
Thanks for all the support.
Sea Yawl Later!!
Rusty and Linda