Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2017, 09:57   #61

Boat: Various
Re: Guess not all boat people are nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I love numbers, they are non emotional and never lie, the numbers always tell the story.
Actually the numbers that drive major companies today lie all the time. They are the stock market numbers that establish a value. Corporations are driven to maximize stock value in the short term and the stock market is much like bookmaking in Vegas. CEO's are rewarded huge amounts of stock options so benefit based on stock escalation, not based on building something long terms sustainable.

I was lucky. I worked for an incredible man who focuses on the long term. When he buys companies he does it to build the company, not just it's stock value. I was always allowed and encouraged to do what I felt was right for the long term. Today as a business owner, we work the same way. Our main purpose in owning a business today is to provide good jobs to a lot of people. We don't pay minimum wage and we provide good benefits to all. We never expected to make money and are still surprised that we do. We don't own billion dollar companies, but just a lot of small mom and pop stores where we can do things the way we consider right.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 10:24   #62

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
I remember, years ago, a man and wife crewed on a rather large yacht.
They wanted the yacht so they tied the owner and his wife to an anchor and tossed them overboard.
They were caught. What the sentence was, I do not remember.
Perfect opportunity for an application of Sharia Law.
Give them the same treatment.
SPLASH

taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 12:06   #63

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
But great for returns on capital, ...
But the news story you posted doesn't support that view - Ok maybe for speculative investor types who will take greater risks and (in short term) earn greater returns but in the workplace those psychopathic tendencies are totally destructive, as your story points out. It's simply because those psychos are sooooo full of confidence in their abilities (regardless of actual ability), combined with a pathological ability to lie, that they can breeze through any job interview. Climbing the ladder becomes a simple game.

Remind you of anyone?
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 12:13   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
... We don't own billion dollar companies, but just a lot of small mom and pop stores where we can do things the way we consider right.
There are a few stores like that here - when you find one, the experience is rewarding of itself. Good on you!
Old 25-09-2017, 16:06   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Remind you of anyone?
I resemble that remark!

If I do have sociopathic tendencies, I've very well compensated, most jobs have been caregiving roles, and many decades spent as primary parent, all eight kids in total turned out to be thoughtful curious kind productive citizens.

Yes I'm a bit into the spectrum I'll grant you that 8-)
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 19:20   #66

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I read something today that implied that economic growth requires constant productivity gains. In a finite world and with the efficiencies of many industries hitting the diminishing returns part of the curve... you simply cannot have ever-increasing productivity. Also... we're not selling stuff to aliens, we sell to each other. It's a consumer economy, which requires money in the consumer's pockets.

Sooner or later we need to craft a sustainable economy. The economy must serve people - all people - and not vice versa.
Very true, infinite growth in a finite world? How economy "fractional banking" needs continuous growth, the monetary system cant survive without.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 19:29   #67

Quote:
Actually the numbers that drive major companies today lie all the time. They are the stock market numbers that establish a value. Corporations are driven to maximize stock value in the short term and the stock market is much like bookmaking in Vegas. CEO's are rewarded huge amounts of stock options so benefit based on stock escalation, not based on building something long terms sustainable.

I was lucky. I worked for an incredible man who focuses on the long term. When he buys companies he does it to build the company, not just it's stock value. I was always allowed and encouraged to do what I felt was right for the long term. Today as a business owner, we work the same way. Our main purpose in owning a business today is to provide good jobs to a lot of people. We don't pay minimum wage and we provide good benefits to all. We never expected to make money and are still surprised that we do. We don't own billion dollar companies, but just a lot of small mom and pop stores where we can do things the way we consider right.
People lie and use numbers to do it, but with the right analysis numbers show the truth.
I agree with your philosophy, i also built a buisness that served, tried hard to do what i considered "the right think".
Modern takeovers of big organizations can be morally bankrupt. Look at the history of "toys r us " since they were bought out ,and you can see how greed and misuse of the system leaves a bankrupt shell.
Old 25-09-2017, 20:53   #68

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Numbers and facts do not lie. It is the interpretation that can throw you. I believe it mas Marc Twain that said "there are lies, damned lies, and statistics". I remember a collage professor put it this way. A study has been made. It shows that 100% of people that have cancer wipe their butts with toilet paper.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 22:05   #69

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
Numbers and facts do not lie. It is the interpretation that can throw you. I believe it mas Marc Twain that said "there are lies, damned lies, and statistics". I remember a collage professor put it this way. A study has been made. It shows that 100% of people that have cancer wipe their butts with toilet paper.
sorry buddy not 100% as i know a few muslems that use there fingers ,,,,,,
Never shake that left hand
LOL
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 22:46   #70

And of course there are many people who have cancer who are not aware of their illness so can therefore not be included on any survey / statistics / facts / lies . ( figures lie all the time and are used by the unscrupulous to confuse those who do not have a full grasp of the issues .)
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 23:03   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
Ipso facto, us moslems don't get cancer, so still 100%
(We probably don't live long enough.)
Old 25-09-2017, 23:33   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
And of course there are many people who have cancer who are not aware of their illness so can therefore not be included on any survey / statistics / facts / lies . ( figures lie all the time and are used by the unscrupulous to confuse those who do not have a full grasp of the issues .)
That's not numbers lieing ,its people using numbers to lie. In business and economies fudamentals always hold true regardless of how long we try to stop them.
Old 26-09-2017, 00:53   #73

In that case a number being an inanimate object neither lies nor tells the truth , just depends on how they are used , often eroniously .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 03:11   #74

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
Never shake that left hand
LOL
No you don't.

Bum guns yes, fingers no.
Cleanliness is paramount in the Muslim faith.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 03:21   #75

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
I. On the other hand, there are wealthy people like the Gates' who have looked for problems and those struggling and dedicated their lives today to helping others. Charities depend on wealthy, even those who don't understand.
Tax advantages /minimization and publicity (look at me) in a lot of cases.
Just need to look at the amount of $1.2 million dollar donations recently.
Why $1.2, why not $1.7 or some other amount and why not anonymous ?

While appreciated I'm sure, for the super rich its probably equates to money fallen behind the couch or average Joe donating $10.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: