Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 20:42   #46

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: Guess not all boat people are nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Did anyone see the movie "Dead Calm"? Billy Zane was not a nice boater in that one. Nicole Kidman had to shoot him with a flare gun to straighten him out.
I was the skipper of The Golden Plover during the making of that movie. The other boat was Stormvogel. Fun times. I had a sulphur crested cockatoo that lived on the boat with us. It turned out that the bird became good friends with Sam Neill who is a true gentleman. It was a trapped wild bird that I bought at a pet shop and was later happily let go when it's feathers grew back.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 20:54   #47

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
And since many / most? businesses & professions reward that behavior, those percentages are much higher among the wealthy and powerful.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...n-study-finds/
I wonder if they had these tendencies prior to their careers or their careers created these traits, an adapt or die response? Sad that it is so, regardless of the reasons.
One of the reasons ive opted out is i didnt like who i was becoming ( and im only talking small business) , the public and competition create a combative environment ( sort if like CF..lol) , also the pressure of having so much on the line daily. Its not healthy for the individual or society in general.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 21:11   #48
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

But great for returns on capital, and that's what makes this world go 'round, more and more for a few centuries now.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 21:24   #49

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Im 49 and im very conscious of how my tolerance levels are deteriorating, by 75??
It scares me thinking about what my lack of tolerance, patience maybe at 75.
I think tolerance levels tend to deteriorate with some because you're only spending time with your own comfortable group. So all those around you the most, you're fine with, but others are a bit of a shock to your systems.

I hear the criticisms of young people and find it's generally by those who spend very little time around young people. We spend a tremendous amount of time with them and it keeps our attitudes young and reassures us of how good they really are. We love them. Now, our tolerance is poor for those who put them down as we associate so closely with them. I have a lot more confidence in young people fixing the world than I do my generation or older.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 21:34   #50

Quote:
But great for returns on capital, and that's what makes this world go 'round, more and more for a few centuries now.
Ive made my views public on this forum before. I believe the never ending needing more and getting more from bringing tommorows prosperity forward to today through credit is coming to an end.....completely unsustainable is the only way to describe our current circumstances.
A "Minsky moment" is on the horizon.
Old 24-09-2017, 22:53   #51

Boat: Moana 33

Quote:
.....completely unsustainable is the only way to describe our current circumstances.
Wow, that's deep! I've only read comment from you on boating issues - just never know what you never know.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 23:20   #52

Quote:
Yes , round and round in circles , with the rich getting richer at the expense of the poor getting poorer , less and less natural resources and less and less natural environment, me thinks a very short sighted policy .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 23:20   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Wow, that's deep! I've only read comment from you on boating issues - just never know what you never know.
Money interests me, i like cruising and never want to work again thus i try to understand where we are regarding world finances.

I love numbers, they are non emotional and never lie, the numbers always tell the story. Theres currently no investing in the world, just speculation, historically low interest rates coupled with loose lending regulations (think 2008) are and have severly distorted all markets resulting is massively and historically high valuations.

Misallocation of funds is creating very bad"" investments"".

Fractual banking is at the heart of this problem, which is structural and cant be fixed.

We are now at a stage in imho that the focus should be on return of your money not getting a return on your money.

But hey i could be wrong, im hedging my bets.
Old 24-09-2017, 23:36   #54

I saw that boat yesterday,lots of good parts on it.they wont be there for long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170923_140340.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	156635  
Old 25-09-2017, 00:14   #55

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
...and of course, statistically speaking (in Western countries at least) one in 50 males, one in 200 females, and in every walk of life, can be classified as clinically psychopathic - a scary number but for the most part they do seem to hide it well.
I was tested and found to have psychopathic tendancy`s ,,
I think im one of the nicest people you will meet ,,
like most i do get issed off and i wont keep quiet if someone steals from me ,
But i will help anyone in need .
So maybe im just borderline ,,,,
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 04:30   #56

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Which one? Pacific or Indian Ocean?

Neither.

The island near Key West, where the incident in question started. Actually I guess it's called Christmas Tree island and officially named Wisteria.
Old 25-09-2017, 07:36   #57

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct
Ive made my views public on this forum before. I believe the never ending needing more and getting more from bringing tommorows prosperity forward to today through credit is coming to an end.....completely unsustainable is the only way to describe our current circumstances.
I read something today that implied that economic growth requires constant productivity gains. In a finite world and with the efficiencies of many industries hitting the diminishing returns part of the curve... you simply cannot have ever-increasing productivity. Also... we're not selling stuff to aliens, we sell to each other. It's a consumer economy, which requires money in the consumer's pockets.

Sooner or later we need to craft a sustainable economy. The economy must serve people - all people - and not vice versa.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 07:53   #58

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I partially agree with the articles on empathy but see it as very logical with some. Some extremely wealthy people don't understand the plights of others. They simply don't grasp what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck, to worry about food and shelter, to not be able to afford healthcare. They lack empathy out of ignorance. On the other hand, there are wealthy people like the Gates' who have looked for problems and those struggling and dedicated their lives today to helping others. Charities depend on wealthy, even those who don't understand.

I don't like any broad generalizations though or stereotyping. Why can't we simply say "some" instead of a sweeping statement? I feel the same about the question of boat people. I think for those on a cruising forum to say boat people are better people than others is self serving. There are good and bad like in all walks of life. Some very good and some of the worst criminal elements.

I also believe in the inherent goodness of our young people and hate that we, society, doesn't cultivate that but turns it in many cases.
Well said! Wealth (rich) has nothing to do with it. All we can do is out best and lead by example. Have a nice day.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 08:28   #59

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
I agree with your point on the present financial situation. It just seams that history keeps repeating itself. I frequently ask myself and others "at what point are you poor no more?". I am 76 and part of the "over the hill gang". I worry about my kids and grand kids. What kind of a world are we passing on to them? Have we managed to pass on the right values and ethics? Time will tell!
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 09:17   #60

Boat: Island Packet 32

I think most experienced cruising sailors are not the sort of people who fill the grocery store as the storm approaches. They are more likely to be the sort of people who fill their pantry as storm SEASON approaches.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat