Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 15:25   #31

Boat: 32 contessa
Re: Guess not all boat people are nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
I agree, at 75 I've become an angry old man. Don't get me wrong, I am still nice to nice people, but if I see a problem I shout out! Like the plastic in our seas. Never mind I will not be around much longer!
mate im sure we would get on well , with me its fake people that get my back up ,,, people that tell you what you want to hear ,,
I truely believe we all get less tollerant as we get older ,,
Its nature ,,,
Never change ,
Call people out if there Ars#holes
Rob
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 15:27   #32

Boat: GibSea 472

Quote:
I agree, at 75 I've become an angry old man. Don't get me wrong, I am still nice to nice people, but if I see a problem I shout out! Like the plastic in our seas. Never mind I will not be around much longer!
Strangely enough, where I live, in Montréal Canada, I tend to disagree. Crime rate is very low, and this kind of terrible behavior is quite rare. Is this having to do with a larger social umbrella(free médicare, social welfare, almost free education, strict gun control(no handgun) but large income taxes). I wonder if that antisocial behavior we observe is related to the thin social coverage in some contries. I worked in Africa and roberies are a common fact of life.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 15:38   #33

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
I have never understood why some people think of the country and the ocean as a dumping place. I am 76 and a semi-retired farmer. I approach it a little different. I do not get angry. I get upset. Then I proceed to clean up as much as I can. I know it is not much, but a million upset people can make a small dent in it.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 16:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuentes View Post
Can anyone define and/or quantify "rich"? If not. How can we compare more or less empathy?
It's irrelevant; empathy can be observed without knowing someone's personal wealth. If lower empathy corresponds to wealth, just about all cruisers are mean b4st4rds.

Anyway, I found out today that I'm not nice. True story. We were picnicking today at one of the Toronto Islands, boat tied to the shore wall. A powerboat (approx 28') - husband driving, wife at stern with mooring line - approaches the wall behind our boat. The wife looks helpless, two guys from the boat the other side of him jump up to help with the lines. A tiny bit of excitement - he might have scuffed part of his bow very lightly on a timber - but the boat is secured quickly.

As he's making shipshape and hooking up his shore power, I say 'Hi'. He says "Thanks for your help" [sarcasm]

So, despite the fact that I have helped out many people many times, and he already had two strangers helping him, I am to blame for his inability to moor to a wall. This makes me not nice.

So, you've all been warned.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 16:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It's irrelevant; empathy can be observed without knowing someone's personal wealth. If lower empathy corresponds to wealth, just about all cruisers are mean b4st4rds.

Anyway, I found out today that I'm not nice. True story. We were picnicking today at one of the Toronto Islands, boat tied to the shore wall. A powerboat (approx 28') - husband driving, wife at stern with mooring line - approaches the wall behind our boat. The wife looks helpless, two guys from the boat the other side of him jump up to help with the lines. A tiny bit of excitement - he might have scuffed part of his bow very lightly on a timber - but the boat is secured quickly.

As he's making shipshape and hooking up his shore power, I say 'Hi'. He says "Thanks for your help" [sarcasm]

So, despite the fact that I have helped out many people many times, and he already had two strangers helping him, I am to blame for his inability to moor to a wall. This makes me not nice.

Sounds like he needs to learn more about how his boat handles.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 16:50   #36

Boat: Various

I partially agree with the articles on empathy but see it as very logical with some. Some extremely wealthy people don't understand the plights of others. They simply don't grasp what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck, to worry about food and shelter, to not be able to afford healthcare. They lack empathy out of ignorance. On the other hand, there are wealthy people like the Gates' who have looked for problems and those struggling and dedicated their lives today to helping others. Charities depend on wealthy, even those who don't understand.

I don't like any broad generalizations though or stereotyping. Why can't we simply say "some" instead of a sweeping statement? I feel the same about the question of boat people. I think for those on a cruising forum to say boat people are better people than others is self serving. There are good and bad like in all walks of life. Some very good and some of the worst criminal elements.

I also believe in the inherent goodness of our young people and hate that we, society, doesn't cultivate that but turns it in many cases.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 18:17   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Well we all know about you "Canadians" and just how not nice you are.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 18:51   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
Sounds like he needs to learn more about how his boat handles.
I think it was more a case of "stuff happens". We've all been hot and tired and a bit out of sorts... and that textbook docking just doesn't come together. Done it myself. But I usually get mad at myself, not some random stranger who was nearby.

Anyway, I've now learned that if you wanna keep your 'nice' credentials, 9/10 doesn't cut it; you need to score 10 or 11.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 19:46   #39

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
Now thats a great movie
Slow plot and obvious, "why didn't she blast the bastard several times already?" opportunities, here's my big problem with that movie:

At the end, she hauled him aboard with a one hand grip on him (obviously dramatic, but totally physically impossible) at a boat speed of at least six knots, maybe seven.

That's ridiculous for anyone who has a grip on physics.
I watched it to the end, because I knew it HAD to end soon.

It was a pretidiciable ending.

I'm sorry to spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it, but I feel better having saved you almost two hours of waiting to see the bastard smacked with his demise. Maybe my two hours won't have been spent in vain.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 19:54   #40

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
"The thin veneer of civilization "
I was chatting once to the head of the Psychology department of a large Australian university and i remember him saying "most of society is only three square meals away from becoming Lord of the flies" or something like that.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 20:01   #41

Well, lets not forgot this little girl at the time.

"Terry Jo Duperrault was 11 when her family was murdered at sea aboard a chartered sailboat off the coast of Florida."

The Captain they had hired did it.
You really need to read what you can find about this.

That captain was/had lied about what happened onboard the sailboat and was believed, at least until the little girl was rescued and told what really happened.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 20:01   #42

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
mate im sure we would get on well , with me its fake people that get my back up ,,, people that tell you what you want to hear ,,
I truely believe we all get less tollerant as we get older ,,
Its nature ,,,
Never change ,
Call people out if there Ars#holes
Rob[emoji3]
Im 49 and im very conscious of how my tolerance levels are deteriorating, by 75??
It scares me thinking about what my lack of tolerance, patience maybe at 75.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 20:09   #43

Boat: Moana 33

...and of course, statistically speaking (in Western countries at least) one in 50 males, one in 200 females, and in every walk of life, can be classified as clinically psychopathic - a scary number but for the most part they do seem to hide it well.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 20:40   #44
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And since many / most? businesses & professions reward that behavior, those percentages are much higher among the wealthy and powerful.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...n-study-finds/
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 20:41   #45

Boat: Westsail 32

And the Sea Will Tell
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat