Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2019, 06:01   #76

Boat: Tartan 4100
Re: Greta hitches a ride on La Vagabonde

I am not usually one for spewing politics as I know there are passionate people on both sides of the fence and have strong opinions with factoids that will support their beliefs, so I will not venture too deep into the murky waters. What I will say and ask is what harm does it do to be the best stewards of our planet?? I know I may sound a bit naive, but I'm not really as I know that there's a cost associated with carbon reductions and government restrictions but isn't there an equal amount to be made in support of green technologies? Again, why can't we do what's best for the environment??

Old 14-11-2019, 06:13   #77
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Greta hitches a ride on La Vagabonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
not a big fan of Greta or what goverments would do with funding from "Climate change tax".....but we will see how it plays out.

were I am excited is what this young greta can bring to the sailing community, she may be able to spark interest in other young people to get involved learning to sail....along with Vagabonde sailing interest could rise...lets hope for a safe passage
And the remaining anchorages get more crowded or closed for the construction of marinas that get filled with boats that go nowhere..
No thanks.. thats been the trend for the last 3 decades and its whats killing the sailing life.

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
Old 14-11-2019, 06:14   #78

Boat: X-Yachts X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
I am not usually one for spewing politics as I know there are passionate people on both sides of the fence and have strong opinions with factoids that will support their beliefs, so I will not venture too deep into the murky waters. What I will say and ask is what harm does it do to be the best stewards of our planet?? I know I may sound a bit naive, but I'm not really as I know that there's a cost associated with carbon reductions and government restrictions but isn't there an equal amount to be made in support of green technologies? Again, why can't we do what's best for the environment??
Spot on! I don't get either why we should not think hard about some of the major issues we are facing today revolving around environmental degradation, inequality, poverty, etc. We are currently on a trajectory based on the overriding belief that all is perfectly OK. Maybe all is indeed perfectly OK, but somehow it doesn't feel like that...
Old 14-11-2019, 06:23   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
You know nothing worth while about Aspergers / Autism. Dumb post to promote your point of view about other issues.
I made it clear I was commenting on one issue. What "other" are you referencing ?
Suggest you find someone to help untwist your knickers.
Old 14-11-2019, 06:27   #80

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

I remember seeing a interview with Penn, of penn and teller, smart dude.

He said something about thinking of the government as a gun.

If you had a gun and saw a invading army coming to your shores, would you use your gun to fend them off, or bring others with guns to do so, sure

If you were walking down the street and you saw someone trying to rape a young girl, would you use your gun to stop it, of course

If someone was breaking into your house would you fend them off with a gun, no doubt.

If there was a library you wanted built, would you go up to your neighbor with your gun and force them to give you money to build it, no way! That would be crazy.

And that’s the issue (well minus the mental issues and age issues and all that Jazz) with Greta, she’s not out there talking on college campuses trying to get people to get into STEM, she’s not racing a Tesla to try to get car people into alternate power, what she IS doing is trying to influence our governments to FORCE us to live our lives the way her underdeveloped/still has a bedtime/never worked to feed herself mind thinks we should live.

Most people WHO CAN AFFORD IT are quite green, again taxing people further into poverty is going to make things worse, help people keep more of their paychecks and make more money and they’ll be more green. Now when you tell me you’re going to steal more of my money and force me to live the way you want me to live, it takes me from my normal leave it better then I found it, ethically hunting vs buying production line meat, pro conservation self, to now I get a urge to gut the catalytic converters on my cars and toss a panda on the grill.

Being sensibly green is great, but you got to go about it the right way.
Old 14-11-2019, 06:31   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
...The irony is that Greta can thank her fame and the global reach of her opinion aka free speech, even while being transported across oceans in unprecedented safety on a small craft....
The irony to me is taking a ride on a late-model boat in a world where perfectly capable boats of yesteryear are rotting away because of essentially aesthetic concerns of younger people. Not particularly consistent with the reduce/re-use/recycle concept. I'd have much preferred to see her in a plastic classic.
Old 14-11-2019, 06:45   #82

a "bit" offtopic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
What I will say and ask is what harm does it do to be the best stewards of our planet?? I know I may sound a bit naive, but I'm not really as I know that there's a cost associated with carbon reductions and government restrictions but isn't there an equal amount to be made in support of green technologies? Again, why can't we do what's best for the environment??
"Why can't we do what's best?" you ask. -- Because it is EXTREMELY difficult, I would answer.

If you are interested, I could recommend these articles (from the renowned ecological footprint co-inventor):

- (Donít Call Me a Pessimist on Climate Change. I Am a Realist) https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2019/11/...st-Face-Facts/ and

- (Memo from a Climate Crisis Realist: The Choice before Us) https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2019/11/...-Realist-Memo/

Now what?

No politician will be able/inclined to "sell" such things. I suppose almost no people would accept the consequences of an *effective* green deal (as in the 2nd article). Towards a population of 2 or 3 billion people, etc., you just can't say that.

In the shiny Greta blogger universe there most likely wouldn't be high-end racing sailboats any more and outremer wouldn't have spare money to sponsor youtube films. You'd hitch in a much more local circle.

Greta (and NGOs) might do no harm but they, imo, provide glitter. It is known that what we do is not sustainable and will worsen with population grow. It is also telling how 'social unrest' in Santiago leads to killing of the 'luxury' climate conference. Talk about priorities.

Nevertheless I wish for a save journey. And maybe it's better to do 'something' instead of sitting calm? I don't know?
Old 14-11-2019, 06:56   #83

Anyone ever hear of Nongqawuse?

April 1856 a 15 year old girl convinced her tribe to kill all the cattle to save the humans. No cattle were spared, most (75%) humans died shortly thereafter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nongqawuse

Completely off topic of course.
Old 14-11-2019, 07:02   #84

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant View Post
Anyone ever hear of Nongqawuse?

April 1856 a 15 year old girl convinced her tribe to kill all the cattle to save the humans. No cattle were spared, most (75%) humans died shortly thereafter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nongqawuse

Completely off topic of course.

This one is only risking a couple of people soshe can stay on her schedule. Thoughtless.
Old 14-11-2019, 07:09   #85

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
If there was a library you wanted built, would you go up to your neighbor with your gun and force them to give you money to build it, no way! That would be crazy.

And that’s the issue ... with Greta, she’s not out there talking on college campuses trying to get people to get into STEM, she’s not racing a Tesla to try to get car people into alternate power, what she IS doing is trying to influence our governments to FORCE us to live our lives the way her underdeveloped/still has a bedtime/never worked to feed herself mind thinks we should live.
So averting the looming crises from our current trajectory is just a pleasant nice-to-have, like a library?

Greta's saying "listen to the scientists", not issuing prescriptions about what to do.

Quote:
Most people WHO CAN AFFORD IT are quite green...
I'm pretty sure that's BS. Further, even if it was true, our energy/pollution issues are mainly systemic, and not within our individual control.... EXCEPT through banding together and demanding that something is done on a coordinated international scale.
Quote:
again taxing people further into poverty is going to make things worse
Economists disagree with you; carbon credits or taxation harnesses the powers of a free market to achieve the desired changes.

Those fighting hardest against doing anything about climate change are very often the same groups and people who are unconcerned about poverty and the widening economic disparities. Poverty is it's own problem; if you care about poverty then fix it. The normal fluctuations of the oil market have far more affect on the poor than a couple percent added as a carbon tax, yet we don't worry about that, do we?

Quote:
Now when you tell me you’re going to steal more of my money and force me to live the way you want me to live, it takes me from my normal leave it better then I found it, ethically hunting vs buying production line meat, pro conservation self, to now I get a urge to gut the catalytic converters on my cars and toss a panda on the grill.

Being sensibly green is great, but you got to go about it the right way.
Seriously? I'll bet a new pickup that you're not actually living a lifestyle that is genuinely sustainable or green. Very few of us in North America are. Even fewer in the CF demographic, if you consider how most of us have earned the pile that allows us to be yachties. This isn't evil, it's just how things are at present.
Old 14-11-2019, 07:40   #86
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by intervivos View Post

Take a look at the comments on this "news" article. Absolutely brutal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments

99% of those comments in DM would be deleted straight away here on C&S forum and posters would probably get long life ban.
Old 14-11-2019, 07:46   #87
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Greta hitches a ride on La Vagabonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Economists disagree with you; carbon credits or taxation harnesses the powers of a free market to achieve the desired change
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how buying carbon credits from a less pollutant nation in say S America so the USA or maybe China can maintain their excessive pollution levels makes any change.. all it is is a publicity con trick, a deceit to lull people into believing leaders are pro active.
It does little or nothing to alleviate the problem..

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
Old 14-11-2019, 07:47   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Greta hitches a ride on La Vagabonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Sometimes our heroes donít live up to the hype:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...istresses.html

You obviously have no idea what Aspergers is.
Itís primarily, overriding most recognizable trait is social ďawkwardnessĒ watch any episode of the Big Bang, Sheldon is played off as an Aspie, however vast majority of Asperger people do terribly in school, for a couple of reasons, one is a school is very much primarily about social pressures and interactions and about indoctrination of children into society, and only secondarily about edification, so of course an Aspie wonít do well in school because itís primarily about social skills, the football player and the cheerleader are the school leaders, not the smart kids.
Then also schools teach to an idiot level, so that 99% can understand, if your in the top few percent you understood it before the school tried teaching it, and to have the same things taught over and over is mind numbingly boring. AspieĎ s act out because they donít want to be there. They fail in the social things that schools make so important and the academics is so far below them itís a waste of time.

But to get back to Lindberg not being able to have a stable relationship. That is an Aspie, they donít do well in social interactions, and if you donít think marriage is a social interaction your wrong.
They can learn to mimic correct social things, but itís not natural, they are using their intelligence to mimic what comes natural to most people. The Sheldon character does that well in the show.
But they can learn, they are usually far more intelligent than average.
Almost without exception, an Aspie is a tough marriage partener, it takes a special person to understand that yes they love and care, just donít know how to display it correctly and come off as being controlling and jealous etc.

Besides who in the world tried to act as if being a good father and husband had anything at all with the traits that Einstein and others portray.
Old 14-11-2019, 08:04   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how buying carbon credits from a less pollutant nation in say S America so the USA or maybe China can maintain their excessive pollution levels makes any change.. all it is is a publicity con trick, a deceit to lull people into believing leaders are pro active.
It does little or nothing to alleviate the problem..
People, and businesses, and government should be taking any action available to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, by choosing sustainable “green” alternatives.

But in cases where there are no feasible green alternatives, such as important long-distance air travel, offsets can theoretically make a difference, and support projects that help the world transition to a lower-carbon economy.
Carbon offsetting is supposed to be a way to "cancel out" carbon emissions that have been spewed into the atmosphere. It works by letting emitters (including individuals, governments or businesses) fund and take credit for greenhouse gas reductions from a different project or activity elsewhere. However, while your offsets may reduce future emissions, they won't remove what's already been emitted. Furthermore, the promise of offsetting may trigger a rebound away from meaningful mitigation and towards the development of further high-carbon infrastructures.
In fact, a 2016 study* found that emissions reductions are likely overestimated in 85 per cent of 7,700 offset projects to date, and 73 per cent of the offsets available for 2013 to 2020, under the European Union's carbon trading scheme.
* ➥ https://ec.europa.eu/clima/sites/cli...chanism_en.pdf

More about ➥ https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/carbon-offsets/

Old 14-11-2019, 08:10   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Greta hitches a ride on La Vagabonde

Now back to this thread.
I have never watched a single episode of the you tube La Vagabond people or any other of the ďsailing lifeĒ YouTubeís but this is obviously a publicity stunt, designed of course to expand their business and income, almost guaranteed to do so.
If I were them, Iíd do the same. Iím not saying they are doing anything wrong, their business is I guess being ďsocialĒ so therefore you do things that increases your popularity. They are being smart in doing so.

Now any 16 yr old child, is a child. Any child only knows what they are told, being a genius or an Aspie or whatever doesnít change that, itís why they canít vote at 16, serve in the Military etc, because they donít have the experience yet to make their own decisions, they are children.

Then why is it that Society loves to follow celebrities of any kind, musicians and actors as an example, why in the world is it that we think that these people have any idea at all what they are talking about, yet society raises their cheerleaders to a podium and stands around and worships them as advanced thinkers, when they are just parrots.

Now thatís all sides, all religions, all politics, all beliefs, left or right it doesnít matter, Itís apparently a human trait for some reason for many to follow people that obviously have no idea what they are talking about, no background, no education, no experience, but will shout out loudly and vehemently against the opposition. I guess we all love our cheerleaders?

Does anyone think this 16 yr old child is any kind of scientist? Any kind of expert in the field of climate change?
So why then are you so enamored with her?

Closed Thread