Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2013, 04:57   #1

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Greg Stephanoff missing overboard in Hawaii, s.v. "C:Drive"

Sailboat missing since October found adrift, boater missing - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - The Coast Guard has suspended the search for missing boater Greg Stephanoff after locating his vessel, the sailboat C: Drive, adrift at sea Friday some 1400 miles from Oahu.
"Our boarding team found the vessel in good condition, so there are no signs of anything that could have happened on board the vessel that could've given us any indication he got into any trouble" Lt. Craig Dente of the Coast Guard told Hawaii News Now.
"This is a very unique case" he added.
The reason for that comment was because there were no signs of intrusion of foul play on the vessel, but also because the Coast Guard never received a distress signal from the vessel.
Stephanoff was last seen leaving the Ala Wai boat harbor on October 2nd. Two days later, a concerned friend contacted the Coast Guard and a search began.
It was suspended on October 15th when the vessel could not be located.
However, when it was spotted in November, the case was temporarily re-opened.
Stephanoff is divorced, with two adult sons from his marriage. Hawaii News Now spoke to his ex-wife today, who lives in California. She said, while the two have gone their separate ways, the relationship he had with his sons has always remained positive.
Her husband said the sons are planning to come to Hawaii sometime in the near future, but haven't planned an exact date.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 05:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Greg Stephanoff missing overboard in Hawaii, s.v. "C:Drive"

Sad news...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 05:29   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
I assume he was single handed and fell overboard....must be a really sobering moment to watch your boat sail away from you.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 08:43   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Greg Stephanoff missing overboard in Hawaii, s.v. "C:Drive"

I associate "sober" with calm resignation. I suspect I would be more into the futile "screaming breaststroke" for the first five minutes.

Assuming this wasn't a case of suicide, solo sailors should really consider (aside from the obvious "don't pee off the stern" thing) lashing off in such a way as to cause the boat to round up. Even one of those Quatix watches would've been an option here, although they would only bring the boat closer, not de-throttled if it was motorsailing.

Which might be worse, now that I think of it.

Yeah, this is sad.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 06:54   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Yes, I am much more cautious when single handed. Really should clip in whenever leaving the cockpit, but of course that's a hassle and not likely to happen consistently.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 07:06   #6

Very sad, My thoughts are with his family.
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 07:13   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

similar thing happened off the coast in north florida. well known fisherman's boat still idling along with nobody aboard. some thought he could survive in the water but it was 68 degrees so not very long. they never found him
Old 21-11-2013, 07:18   #8

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Another reinforcement for a harness/jack line even as cumbersome as they may be...agree, very sad and unfortunate for all of his family.......

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 07:45   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'

My Condolences to the family.
Old 21-11-2013, 07:48   #10

Does anyone know if he was a diver ?
CaribbeanCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 12:11   #11

Does anyone know of a service that can recover his boat and return it to Honolulu? Greg is my sons' Dad (my ex) and I'm trying to help them unravel this mystery. Supposedly the boat is in good condition except for the sails which are shredded (seen a photo). Coast Guard would not tow because of how far out in the Pacific it is. Would love to help my sons recover the boat if not too expensive so they could sell it. Any help from the sailing community would be welcomed.
BeachyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 12:32   #12

It's not going to be difficult to find a delivery skipper, but that and sufficient crew (your sons?) isn't going to be cheap.

You may wish to consider if Dockwise Transport comes to Hawai'i. That's a way of having the boat brought Statesside crewless (until it's off-loaded...)

Condolences on your loss.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I didn't realize the boat was still adrift. Be aware it's open to be salvaged, i.e. whomever boards it and gets it to shore will have a claim on it.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 21-11-2013, 15:06   #13

Thanks for you reply. I know nothing about boats so excuse me if this sounds dumb. What is "dockside transport"? My sons are reluctant to pursue this because they've been told it would cost too much but I thought it's worth a shot checking it out. Supposedly the boat is worth $100,000 being the Mom I am I thought we should act least explore our options. Based on what my sons have told me, it would need new sails and it's continuing to drift further and further West of Hawaii. It took the Coast Guard 5 days to reach it from Honolulu and that was last Friday.
BeachyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 15:17   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41

BeachyLife: It is a difficult proposition. 1400 miles is beyond the range of most sailboats to motor. You can't just buy some sails and go to the boat. Sails are customized for every boat. Then there is the question of finding the boat again. It is not an easy thing to find a boat in a vast ocean. Sorry to say it would be difficult -- near impossible.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 15:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachyLife View Post
Thanks for you reply. I know nothing about boats so excuse me if this sounds dumb. What is "dockside transport"? My sons are reluctant to pursue this because they've been told it would cost too much but I thought it's worth a shot checking it out. Supposedly the boat is worth $100,000 being the Mom I am I thought we should act least explore our options. Based on what my sons have told me, it would need new sails and it's continuing to drift further and further West of Hawaii. It took the Coast Guard 5 days to reach it from Honolulu and that was last Friday.
It's "Dockwise" (see Home :: Dockwise Yacht Transport). You get your boat to their huge freighter ship, the ship semi-sinks, you motor over the deck onto a cradle, and the crew tie you in and weld the cradle down. It's like a car transporter, only for yachts.

As for your boat, I'm a little surprised your CG didn't "cut the hoses" and sink it as it may be out of range of retrieval and will bob as a nav hazard in the North Pacific until it's swamped or hits an atoll or Japan or Russia.

In other words, even if you could find it...then what? With no sails and perhaps flat batteries and compromised engine, to put your untrained sons aboard would be dangerous and ill-advised.

I think the best you can do is to cut a deal with a salvor, a pro who will take a large chunk of the sale price in return for going out and finding the boat and paying to tow it to safety...no easy or brief task.

Tags
hawaii, overboard