Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2011, 19:54   #16

Boat: Haida 26
Re: Goodbye Dirt People

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Way to go. Cruising on a small boat is great. I have heard many good things about the Haida 26. We live and cruise on a 25 footer. Do you have a blog?

Look forward to updates.
Not yet, been to busy getting free of life. Will work on it soon. Thank You for asking.....Michael...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 04:42   #17

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Not yet, been to busy getting free of life. Will work on it soon. Thank You for asking.....Michael...
I understand that. We went from a three story house on three acres with a 24 by 32 pole barn to a 25 foot boat and a 14 by 70 mobile home. We kept a mobile home just to not have burned all of our bridges at once, but we are now ready to sell it. It is up for sale right now. So now we have a 25 footer and a yard barn at my brothers house that we put life's mementos in.

It is amazing how much freer I feel getting rid of all the junk I used to think was important. I ran across the quote below and it sums up exactly how I feel.

"We each must choose our own path through life. Do we follow the course laid out for us by others, or dare we chart our own destiny? Brainwashed by our economic system, we become entombed beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, and preposterous gadgetry and playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade.
The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie, caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, our tomb is sealed. For years we tuck away small treasures, so that in maturity we can have a few short years to enjoy the fruits of a lifetime of labors. But as the awaited time draws near, too many find that failure of health and mobility averts this dream from reality. Where, then lies the answer? In choice. Be it bankruptcy of purse, or bankruptcy of life? Go now, while still young and healthy enough to enjoy the adventure" Sailing Vessel 'Drifter' - A Westsail 32, a dream and a plan
Old 30-06-2011, 05:27   #18

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
I understand that. We went from a three story house on three acres with a 24 by 32 pole barn to a 25 foot boat and a 14 by 70 mobile home. We kept a mobile home just to not have burned all of our bridges at once, but we are now ready to sell it. It is up for sale right now. So now we have a 25 footer and a yard barn at my brothers house that we put life's mementos in.

It is amazing how much freer I feel getting rid of all the junk I used to think was important. I ran across the quote below and it sums up exactly how I feel.

"We each must choose our own path through life. Do we follow the course laid out for us by others, or dare we chart our own destiny? Brainwashed by our economic system, we become entombed beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, and preposterous gadgetry and playthings that divert our attention from the sheer idiocy of the charade.
The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie, caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, our tomb is sealed. For years we tuck away small treasures, so that in maturity we can have a few short years to enjoy the fruits of a lifetime of labors. But as the awaited time draws near, too many find that failure of health and mobility averts this dream from reality. Where, then lies the answer? In choice. Be it bankruptcy of purse, or bankruptcy of life?
Go now, while still young and healthy enough to enjoy the adventure" Sailing Vessel 'Drifter' - A Westsail 32, a dream and a plan
I like the quote too, but I hate to tell you that is a huge case of plagiarism by Capt. Jack Webb and somebody should point it out to him! Here is the original from Sterling Hayden's book Wanderer ...

Quote:
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?

Sterling Hayden
Old 30-06-2011, 09:39   #19

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I like the quote too, but I hate to tell you that is a huge case of plagiarism by Capt. Jack Webb and somebody should point it out to him! Here is the original from Sterling Hayden's book Wanderer ...
Thanks for that info Doodles.

I will have to get Haydens book to read. I like his way of thinking.
Old 30-06-2011, 10:32   #20
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

HA! Doodles! =)
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 15:57   #21

Boat: Haida 26

Works done,things stowed,& leaving Saturday at noon for the first 1000 nm leg. see you at the end........Michael & Wayward Wench
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 16:02   #22
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Good tide to you Cappy! May the wind be at your back and may the skyn of ur arse never be used for a banjo!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 18:34   #23

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: Goodbye Dirt People

Adios guys. Enjoyed your posts. Hope this trip is as fun as the others. I love your destination: South.

Tom
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 18:58   #24
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i like it .. sailing south. we will be doing it next winter .. cheers and congrats.
Old 15-07-2011, 19:01   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

welcome down here to hotville--is awesome here--- come on down and fair winds to ye.... oh yeah--- do avoid the named stuff......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2011, 11:17   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Congrates wish you all the best..be safe ..be careful..and have fun...PS dont tell Don I think hes still waiting..LOL im sure he'd be happy for ya also hope to see ya out there!DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 23:27   #27

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

You are an inspiration to me. Just when I finish a thousand projects I will leave the dock...
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 03:13   #28

Enjoy your trip!
GreenOnions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2011, 09:05   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

look for me in nov in old harbor. dora is now a cat5--dont sail into hot waters until after this season is done--could be an interesting one. smooth sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 22:14   #30

I am more about saying we will follow you on your wave steps. LOL. That is just amazing. I always have to have a destination. You are so brave. Have great times.
Boatinglifeaway is offline   Reply With Quote