Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 12:23   #1

Boat: Mirage 32
Good spot to leave our boat in Northern Florida

We plan to cruise down the Intracoastal Waterway and arrive in Florida approximately late November. Have to go back to Canada for a couple months so we're looking for a safe secure reasonably priced marina or boat yard to leave the boat with. Don't need anything fancy in the way of amenities. Northern to mid Florida is our target destination. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Gerry Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:38   #2

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: Good spot to leave our boat in Northern Florida

Lamb’s Yacht center in Jacksonville is good. We have been refitting there since June and are very happy. We are leaving in a couple of weeks and will miss the marina and Jacksonville.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:43   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

You're going to be disappointed, many safe, secure marinas but none reasonably priced. Not by my standards anyway. There are many marinas north of Lake Worth and most are safe and secure. If you're flying I suggest either Daytona Beach or Jacksonville. West Palm (Lake Worth area) has a good airport too but slips are a bit pricey. I would check a few marinas up the St. Johns River (Jacksonville area). Ortega River Marina there is nice but it's going to cost about US$500 a month for a 32 ft boat. Halifax Harbor marina in Daytona is about the same.
Old 11-10-2018, 14:34   #4

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Lamb's probably won't work because its on the wrong side of a 45ft bridge. If you don't need amenities you could also try along the Trout River, Seafarer's Marine on Trout River Drive. (904) 765-8152.

The Ortega is definitely nicer, and likely safer in the event of weather, but Trout River is good too. Sadler Point Marina is another one there. (904) 384-1383. There are others out towards the beaches but they will be more expensive. There are also many boats permanently anchored in the Ortega, if you could set up for that. My Cape Dory 28 is further up the Ortega at a private dock, so I would pass by your boat every time I went out.

You can also try in St. Augustine. I don't know any of the marina's but the City has a very nice mooring field set up now if that would work for you. I imagine it would be much cheaper than a dock, something to consider.
Old 11-10-2018, 14:55   #5

The marina near Canaveral at Merritt Island isnt bad if you sign up for the monthly rate, Harbortown? I think they needed 3 months for that rate, but after we stayed 2 they ended our time without a problem or price increase when we decided to move on. Pool and nice little restaurant there too. Well protected.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 16:22   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Good spot to leave our boat in Northern Florida

I’m in Ortega Landing Marina, it’s not cheap, but not real expensive either, and I’m convinced it is about as safe storm wise as you can be in the water. 15 miles or so up the St. John’s and off to the side in Ortega river, no fetch to speak of.
However it’s not real deep either, there is an Amel Super Maramu here, and I bet it is about as deep a Boat as can be brought into here.
http://www.ortegalanding.com
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30   #7

Boat: Mirage 32

Thanks for the recommendations. Contacting some marinas as I speak.
Gerry Connolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:23   #8

Boat: Grand Banks 36' Motor Yacht

The marina in Green Cove Springs...……. there are three options. Fresh water! Green Cove Springs Marina, Reynolds Park Yacht Center and MOBRO Marine Inc.
Google marina Green Cove Springs for all contact info.
hernandobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:41   #9

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Connolly View Post
We plan to cruise down the Intracoastal Waterway and arrive in Florida approximately late November. Have to go back to Canada for a couple months so we're looking for a safe secure reasonably priced marina or boat yard to leave the boat with. Don't need anything fancy in the way of amenities. Northern to mid Florida is our target destination. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I deal marina is Reynolds Park Yacht Centre, Green Cove Springs. Built as a WW11 naval base and has substantial docks. Located about 28 miles up the St, Johns River equal distance from Jacksonville and St. Augustine.
Water is brackish meaning you don't get all the marine growth.
Very peaceful, I've been there 3 years now. Cost $450/mo for a 42 ft boat. Power metered, Water and TV Hookups included.

Reynolds Park Yacht Center

www.rpyc.info/home.html
Reynolds Park Yacht Center (RPYC) in Green Cove Springs, Florida is an ideal resting place for your yacht or vessel. Our center offers a plethora of amenities ...
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:47   #10

Boat: Island Packet 350

Try Brunswick Landing Marina on the Georgia/Florida boarder, in Brunswick, Georgia . It’s well protected!
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:30   #11

Boat: S/V Nisus 36' Bayfield

Have stayed at both the Ortega Yacht Club marina in Jacksonville and the Brunswick City Marina and you won’t go wrong with either choice. Then when you do get back to your boat, both are situated close to good amenities for boat equipment/repairs/supplies, as well as grocery stores, restaurants and bars. Ortega is even within a block or two from one of the largest used bookstores on the east coast.
svnisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:21   #12

Boat: Morgan 34

I had a very good experience at Tiger Point Marina in Fernandina Beach, my previous boat was on the hard there for a year & a half. They might not have a place for you in the water, bur their rate on the hard might make it worth the haul out. Good luck.
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:28   #13

I second Harbortown marina at Merritt Island near Cape Canaveral. Very secure and reasonable by Florida standards. My brother kept his 32 Catalina there for a few years.
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:38   #14

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

If you're planning on going outside of Georgia from Beaufort South Carolina it makes more sense to me to stay at a marina in Beaufort or even Charleston. I would check the prices for airline tickets of the Charleston and the Hilton Head airports. It's been several years but I think prices keep getting higher in Florida at a faster rate, also you will find groceries or pretty much any supplies much cheaper in the Carolinas compared to Florida
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 13:41   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

I stayed for a couple of months in St. Augustine. Last small marina on the Sebastian River. Probably the cheapest in FL. But very nice and safe! Marina operator lives on boat in the marina. There are several other marinas in the Sebastian river. All in walking distance to the city. There is also an airport 10 minutes away. Frontier airlines services it. I stayed on the mooring in the municipal marina but it was too rough in December. But they do watch the boats daily.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, florida