Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2010, 02:10   #1

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Girls vs Old Men - The Jessica Watson Effect

Sorry but Ex Calif put the challenge up.

What was it about Jessica that intimidated so many men?

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 25-05-2010, 02:16   #2

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Intimidated? The only sensible remarks in some very long threads were:-
1. Why didn't she stop in more places and enjoy the trip?
2. Why did she travel alone?
Where's the satisfaction in being a little bit faster/younger/smaller/further/female/?
Doesn't the satisfaction come from sailing?
Old 25-05-2010, 02:26   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post

Hmm... what am I missing here, is this the joke thread or perhaps the off-topic thread. No, it is the whistling thingy so...

Just how many men do you think she intimidated and can you "out" any of them

And what was it about Jessica that intimidated so many woman (and/or children)? .

By the way, I don't know any man, woman or child that has been intimidated by JW but I guess there are some (somewhere) - maybe even enough to get this thread up and running
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-05-2010, 02:33   #4

Well I could out them by going over the old posts,(to tiresome) or could I be just starting a joke thread with a whistling as my theme.
Besides, we have had enough outings in Aus this week.

Yes & I hope Wotname that your last paragraph is right.

Old 25-05-2010, 02:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Intimidated? The only sensible remarks in some very long threads were:-
1. Why didn't she stop in more places and enjoy the trip?
Perhaps because she want to enjoy a non-stop sail !
Quote:
2. Why did she travel alone?
Perhaps because she wanted to sail solo!
Quote:
Where's the satisfaction in being a little bit faster/younger/smaller/further/female/?
This combination sounds pretty satisfying to me
Quote:
Doesn't the satisfaction come from sailing?
and that too.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-05-2010, 02:38   #6

Quote:
Yes & I hope Wotname that your last paragraph is right.
OK, I will try to do my bit .
Old 25-05-2010, 03:18   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Ok you got me…. I am intimidated by young girls…

They put the fear of God in me, have been doing that since I was about 12 or 13 years old and although I read all the right ‘self help” articles like below, (so that I could be the one doing the intimidating) somehow I am still as lost as before when it comes to young girls.

Maybe it is because I am still that simple 12 or 13 year old at heart and was never good at intimidating?

Thanks for helping me to come out… maybe this below will help all those other intimidated old men to pull themselves together...you have done a good thing today...

How to Intimidate.

Everyone wants to be able to do it, few have the testicoli to make anyone flinch, much less sweat.

But mastering the art of intimidation can and will go a long way to getting what you want. The best intimidation is the one that's implied.

Any cafone can point a gun; he's not scaring anyone, his gun is.

You want people to fear you, but you also want them to respect you, and your power. A fool with a weapon might get you to wet your pants, but you'll never write a tribute to him in The New York Times.

So let me take you through some of the ways you can intimidate without having to be 6'5" or 250 pounds.

build uncertainty & mystery

The best way to intimidate someone who doesn't know you from a hole in the wall is by being as mysterious as possible. Be impossible to read. Sure, not shaving, having a scowl on your face, and wearing a trench coat can help your look, but if you don't know how to carry yourself, whoever you are trying to intimidate won't know the difference between you and a Larry The Flasher.

The less someone knows about you, the more you leave things open to the imagination. The more blanks your opponent fills, the less menacing you are. It's that simple.

Everyone fears the unknown and uncertainty. If you don't know what to expect, you're more on guard. If someone finds out you cry during chick movies, well, guess what buddy? You won't even intimidate your blow-up doll.

remain silent & composed

Another way to intimidate is by never saying anything. Speak in a short, direct, snappy way, and the person across from you will know you mean business. Don't smile, don't blink, don't gulp, and don't adjust your panties. Keep your voice low and poised (now would be a good time to practice your Marlon Brando impersonation).

Look disgusted as if you just saw someone having sex with a chicken, bark your orders, and say nothing else. Never, ever, repeat yourself. They heard you the first time.

A well-timed act of violence can certainly send a message, but most of the time, you don't have to resort to that. The mystery of a silent threat is devastating.

Always be composed. Never show emotion. Never flinch (it shows that you're one scared little bastardo).
Old 25-05-2010, 03:31   #8

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:

What is it about any capable woman that threatens and intimidates SOME men?

Its a funny old world where some guys are so in awe and full of respect for women who break the mold and have a go, whilst others have to manipulate, control and undermine our abilities.

I think its mainly a cultural thing, some countries are more equal than others, but also an individual failing by some men who are insecure.

Whilst the equality is most welcome, the down side is the loss of the wonderful differences that distinguish the genders. The yin and yang, the Mars and Venus of male and female which gives us our sex and sexuality.
Old 25-05-2010, 03:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post

Its a funny old world where some guys are so in awe and full of respect for women who break the mold and have a go, whilst others have to manipulate, control and undermine our abilities
Although I started this thread for a bit of a laugh, I can't help but agree with you here.

I find that my sailing partner Jen, is more considered in our joint decisions and I find myself in awe of her at times. Even though I'm supposed to be more experienced, her considered opinions are a valuable help when out at sea.

Old 25-05-2010, 03:46   #10

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Your a wise man Glenn and shes a lucky girl.
Sounds like a great partnership
Old 25-05-2010, 04:37   #11
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
She can sail a boat. Great. But can she climb Everest?
Old 25-05-2010, 04:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
She can sail a boat. Great. But can she climb Everest?
Why anybody goes up a mountain which has a recorded 1% fatality rate is beyond my comprehension, and the rate does not count those like Bonita Norris who "merely" get injured. If sailing or flying had a 1% fatality rate it would be banned.

BBC News - Everest mountaineer Bonita Norris injured in fall

As for Ms Watson. She doesn't intimidate me. There is 8,000 miles of rock and molten lava between the pair of us so I reckon I'm fairly safe.
Old 25-05-2010, 04:57   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:

Missed the original "Challenge" as I stopped reading the Jessica threads longggggggggg ago.........nothing to do with intimidation , but more about the creepy feeling I got from the more Yeeha! Go Jessica!! hangers on - way too "invested" for my tastes. or comfort.

But just because I don't enjoy over enthusiastically pumping up a teenage girl don't mean others can't do so - I appreciate everyone needs a hobby.............

You asked
Old 25-05-2010, 05:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But just because I don't enjoy over enthusiastically pumping up a teenage girl don't mean others can't do so
I'm sure that could have been phrased better!
Old 25-05-2010, 05:58   #15

I think her parents are complete and total idiots. I have no problem with her at all.

Then again, I think a good portion of the parents on this earth are complete and total idiots. From the ones that allow their kids to waste their lives gaming, and fattening them up, the ones that pay no attention to them, the ones that try to mold them into miniature versions of themselves and live vicariously through their exploits, there are just too many examples of bad parents from one extreme to the other. I dislike extremists.

I have two very bright girls. One is intensely self motivated, she finished third in her HS class out of 800, she earned a full four year scholarship to Boston University, completed her Freshman year with a 3.9 GPA and I'll warrant that she's put considerably more effort into achieving her goals than Jessica Watson. But as her parent, I have to be the adult and at times I've reigned her in and made her put the books away to get some sleep at times and encouraged her to spend time with her friends on a weekend. At this point she has a wonderful group of friends who look out for each other, she's active in several activities beyond academics and I think she has the self confidence to meet whatever the world throws at her.

The younger one is probably brighter, but has a far more average work ethic. She spreads her energy out over a variety of activities. I love her just as much, but I'm still confident that she's going to be prepared for life by the time she's on her own.

The point in all my bragging (yes, I admit it) is that I've dedicated the last nineteen years of my life almost exclusively to parenting, and I have strong opinions about balance in parenting. I like to think I know something about parenting a kid with extra large dreams. Would I allow a 16 year old to to sail around the southern ocean, no way in hell. I'd work with her on a lesser goal so she could still stretch her wings without breaking her spirit. Somewhere between video gaming and Solo Circumnavigation there exists a reasonable compromise.

I find the intimidation comment to be misguided and insulting.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson